Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is AEV worth the money?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboypunk
Thanks BUck..

thanks for affirming my choice in lifts. I have a pile of boxes in the back of my jeep. Cant wait to install this thing. Going to have to do a run to the tire and wheel store asap. lol think 32's and a 4.5 with factory bumpers might look a lil funny at first.
You are welcome dude! If you want to see if AEV has articulation, here was the build up thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=Buck
Old 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank
AEV is WAY OVERPRICED!!!
It is.

hxxp://www.aev-conversions.com/12things/

Until I see more lift manufacturers start talking about the above aspect of their lift, and more posts from owners of other lifts who are as satisfied post-lift as most AEV owners are, I'm going to say that you get what you pay for with AEV.

Originally Posted by AdEcec
Thats my point. For almost 2k all Im getting is a bunch of damn brackets. The only reason Im considering AEV is for the ride quality. If I only go with 35" I dont even need the full 3.5" kit.
I ran a TF 2.5" coil lift on my '10 JKU Rubicon with 35s, and I had corner slower than stock because it felt squirrely. I expected that with a lift, I'd have to sacrifice things like that, or having to use both hands on the wheel when going down the highway.

After some wheeling at Uwharrie, I knew I wanted a little more axle clearance, so I ended up selling my 2.5" TF and getting a 3.5" AEV Premium. Now I can corner faster than stock. And going 80 MPH down the highway, I can confidently take my hands off the steering wheel for a minute if I wanted to.

Part of the AEV handling comes from the fact that the axle-ends of the trackbar are lifted several inches higher than stock -- thanks to the brackets. That's a purposeful design change that they made to modify the JK's roll center, and I don't see how they could have done it without a bracket.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Lots of good info so far. I truly appreciate it.

Does the 3.5 standard lift (not premium) include everything I need to run 35" properly?

Is the high steer kit something that can be added later depending on my preferance or is it a must have.

All the new AEV kits come with the drop brackets for the control arms which is why the price has increased recently.

Currently debating the 3.5 AEV standard and the Rampage full width bumper. This is reasonable price wise. Although I can do a hell of a Rock Krawler kit for $1300....

I love the AEV bumper but they are truly hitting the crack pipe at 1200 with no winch mount included.

Minimum pricing to the door is Northridge at $1400 with winch plate....and Im not sure I even have the patience to do a 6 hour bumper install.

Rampage bumper is 670 to the door. That frees up the entire cost of the Pintler wheels Im buying. Why the hell isnt there an all AEV discount?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Get the premium, no bump steer!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdEcec
Lots of good info so far. I truly appreciate it.

Does the 3.5 standard lift (not premium) include everything I need to run 35" properly?

Is the high steer kit something that can be added later depending on my preferance or is it a must have.

All the new AEV kits come with the drop brackets for the control arms which is why the price has increased recently.

Currently debating the 3.5 AEV standard and the Rampage full width bumper. This is reasonable price wise. Although I can do a hell of a Rock Krawler kit for $1300....

I love the AEV bumper but they are truly hitting the crack pipe at 1200 with no winch mount included.

Minimum pricing to the door is Northridge at $1400 with winch plate....and Im not sure I even have the patience to do a 6 hour bumper install.

Rampage bumper is 670 to the door. That frees up the entire cost of the Pintler wheels Im buying. Why the hell isnt there an all AEV discount?
Like stated above I feel that AEV, while much more expensive then the competition, is well worth the money. I went back and forth for a while about front bumpers and I decided that I simply thought the AEV looks so much better then the others. It looks like it belongs on the Jeep, not like it was made in my neighbors garage. And it doesn't take 6 hours to put on. They redesigned the bumper about a year ago and it's pretty simple to put on. Just follow the steps in the proper order or you will have to back track.

When I'm ready for a lift I am definitely going with the AEV 3.5 premium and 35s. I spend 99% of my time on the highway but want the capability to do some light off roading when I get the bug. The AEV kit just seems way more thought out in terms of ride quality and load carrying ability. It just depends on what you are looking to do and what your budget is.

You can purchase the high steer kit separately. The only difference between the standard and premium is the high steer kit, the AEV procal and the jack extension. If you have a flashpaq then there is no need for the procal. When you look at the price of the premium kit compared to buying the standard kit, the high steer kit, the jack base, and the procal separately they are basically just giving you the procal for free.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

AEV 4.5" with pintler bead locks and 37" toyos worth every penny. I've had cheaper adjustable lifts and I'm glad I went with the AEV. Ride quality and handling are much better than stock! Don't let someone without knowledge or experience talk you out of a superior product.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

My 2 cents.... The AEV is an engineered work of art. I had the TeraFlex complete suspension system on my TJ. It was very capable off road, but most of the miles on the odometer were on-road miles.

I have the 4.5" AEV and LOVE the ride both on and off road. Running 70-80 mph down the highway with 37" tires is very confident and comfortable. Cornering is greatly improved over the stock suspension (with the stock tires). The Engineers at AEV got the spring rates spot on! My Unlimited rides much better now, with 4.5"s of lift than it did stock.

I am not a paid spokesman for AEV, but I am a satisfied customer. I am big on buying quality products and doing the job right!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i find it interesting how people who've never run anything other than the lift they have on their jeep can speak with such authority on how much better it is than anything else out there. the fact of the matter is, ride comfort and quality is 100% subjective and i rarely hear anyone talking smack about whatever kit they chose to go with. for me, i've had the luxury of installing and/or testing most of the lift kit available today and honestly, most complete kits give you a similar ride quality and handling as the others. having said that, if you plan on playing on the rocks, i personally would save your money and or use it to get a kit that comes with heavy duty adjustable components as they typically come with joints that offer more bind free flex. if most of your time is spent on pavement and/or expedition style wheeling, i think you'll be happy with this kit.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as the bottom of my JK gets beat by the rocks I can't imagine adding brakets that hang even lower than the stock mounting points Just another damn thing to get hit, smashed and cause me to get hung up

I will keep my TF confident that it will survive my wheeling style.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the fact of the matter is, ride comfort and quality is 100% subjective and i rarely hear anyone talking smack about whatever kit they chose to go with.
Agreed. On the same note, it's hard to not agree that there are not many threads on here from people raving about the on-street drive quality of their JKs post lift, either.

for me, i've had the luxury of installing and/or testing most of the lift kit available today and honestly, most complete kits give you a similar ride quality and handling as the others.
I don't think I've seen all of your builds, but have been impressed by the ones I've seen. Your videos look like you're all long-arm now, but did you ever build a JK with an AEV lift?

Quick Reply: Is AEV worth the money?