Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is AEV worth the money?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is AEV worth the money?

brand new 2010 unlimited sport. Love the AEV conversions.

Premium bumper
4.5" premium lift
Argent Pintlers
37" BFG KM2
5.13 gears

total of about $7k

Is the AEV 4.5 really that nice of a lift? I mean $1750 for a lift that doesnt include control arms seems a little steep to me.

My other option is to keep it simple and do the AEV 3.5" standard lift and run 35" km2 tires.
There has been some serious discussion of the entire AEV parts line up being significantly over-priced and Im still on the fence about this. I do think their parts are at the top end of the pricing scale but most reviews praise the products for their quality.

Is there any real world difference between an OME northridge kit with trackbars vs. a standard 3.5" AEV kit? secondly, is that difference worth $400?

This is a 99% street driven vehicle currently but I will push its limits on average once a month.

Back up plan is:

Northridge OME with trackbars
Xenon or river raider flats
Pintlers w/37
Stubby bumper

Tired of looking at my stock jeep so its time to pull the trigger. Help me decide what to do, bc all I have is 4wheel parts here in Charlotte, and if it isnt Pro Comp its not recommended.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think AEV is overpriced myself.

I have a new 2010 unlimited sport myself. My upgrade plan is Lod bumper with winch (installed), side rails (installed), 3.5" lift (planned, also looking at Northridge OME kit with bars, also Full Trac and TeraFlex), gear upgrade to 4.88 (planned), lockers (planned), upgrade axles (planned), diff covers (planned), 33" or 35" BFG tires with wheels (planned)

My is a daily driver too, and my plan is to lift it, make it stronger, then put the wheels on. Might as well do the labor once when I pull apart the differentials.

It is going to look a little silly driving around lifted on those tiny stock tires, but can't afford to do it all at once.

Hoping a good deal comes around on lift kits soon. So far all I have seen is deals on the top and bottom ends.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of people really like their AEV lifts. But:

# Front and Rear Brake Line Brackets
# Custom Rear Track Bar ('Fixed')
# Rear Axle Side Track Bar Bracket
# Front Control Arm Geometry Drop Brackets**
# Front Axle Side Track Bar Bracket with Steering Stabilizer Mount

It is 'complete', but 100% non-adjustable. Just an opinion, but I would prefer a lift that I can tune to my needs, rather than start tossing brackets in the trash and replace with adjustables.

Perhaps the OME Long Travel kit? Or a TF or RK with adj arms?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thats my point. For almost 2k all Im getting is a bunch of damn brackets. The only reason Im considering AEV is for the ride quality. If I only go with 35" I dont even need the full 3.5" kit.

How about teraflex 2.5 coils with trackbars front and rear? Ride quality?

I can do a teraflex 2.5 or OME northridge package properly and river raider flares and have PLENTY of room to clear 37" with a stubby front....and Id still be $1000 cheaper than AEV 4.5 and premium bumper
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AdEcec
I can do a teraflex 2.5 or OME northridge package properly and river raider flares and have PLENTY of room to clear 37" with a stubby front....and Id still be $1000 cheaper than AEV 4.5 and premium bumper
You answered your own question

Can't comment on the TF ride quality, but my OME HD's from northridge run a bit firmer than my stock Sahara coils. Not harsh or rough or bouncy, just not the 'same'.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just order the AEV premium 3.5" lift and AEV front and rear bumpers for 2011 Rubi. I choose it due the complete package and good reviews on the ride quality, since my JK is my DD and on the road 95% of the time.
I will have more input after it is installed next week.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

I got the 4.5: yes it's worth the money. The research was spent on progressive springs and the steering kit which improves roll center geometry. You can utilize the drop brackets for now and later if you like, can always get aftermarket front lower control arms once you think you really want to hit the boulders. It rides and handles great! I got heavy bumpers and spare and does not sag or reduce handling.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

You can save your money on the AEV bumper and get a Rugged Ridge or Smittybuilt and for the savings get other upgrades like gussets, sleeves and labor involved
Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A lot of people really like their AEV lifts. But:

# Front and Rear Brake Line Brackets
# Custom Rear Track Bar ('Fixed')
# Rear Axle Side Track Bar Bracket
# Front Control Arm Geometry Drop Brackets**
# Front Axle Side Track Bar Bracket with Steering Stabilizer Mount

It is 'complete', but 100% non-adjustable. Just an opinion, but I would prefer a lift that I can tune to my needs, rather than start tossing brackets in the trash and replace with adjustables.

Perhaps the OME Long Travel kit? Or a TF or RK with adj arms?
The front track bar raises roll center which is better than just a adjustable bar because it lowers the severity of the angle for higher lifts. I made it adjustable by adding a Teraflex Monster front trac bar. I liked AEV's basic design better than Teraflex's high steering upgrade but liked their Trac bar. I would rather have axle raised trac bar mounts than the frame side after reading so many threads on it. We all have opinions but that is good! The drop brackets are better than cams, but not as great for hard core wheeling obviously. AEV markets their lifts as overland driving not rock crawling.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

AEV is WAY OVERPRICED!!!

Quick Reply: Is AEV worth the money?