Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV vs. RK 2.5 - RK takes over when?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the AEV 2.5 blindly when I was building my JK and it's worked out vey well. I've got just over 20k miles on the rig now, and because I've picked up a second vehicle for daily commuting, most of those 20k miles on the Jeep have been for camping/wheeling/expeditions. Its on road use usually entails 2 passengers and a dog going down the highway or driving endless 2-lane through the mountains with the rear seat removed and the back end filled almost full with gear.

I really enjoy the feel on-road-- it handles the extra weight of gear and accessories (bumpers, winch, tire carrier, etc) very well and isn't too stiff. But, when we're going down a trail, it's stiff enough to maintain good composure over obstacles where extra suspension stiffness is needed. I've spent a lot of time in an older '09 JK with a stock suspension, and the improvement over the stock ride is worth it alone.

We've spent a lot of time on USDA-designated 4x4 trails that have ratings and it fares very well on those more-most difficult trails. THose ratings are averages-- some trails have easy spots and other spots that are pucker-factor 11, especially depending on any seasonal weather modifications to the trail. I've banged the drop-brackets a couple of times, but that's like a warning chime that I need to pay more attention to my lines, or I'm getting into territory that might be above my pay grade. I like to maintain a good thrill on trails, but I try not to intentionally poke the bear to the point where body damage becomes imminent.

My experience has proven that the AEV 2.5" lift is very capable off-road, very agreeable on-road, and worth the "AEV premium" compared to some other lifts. It's billed just as the product implies-- "dual sport" and I've found the same in my own adventures. I've kept with the AEV theme for some other accessories (bumpers, tire carrier) and I haven't been disappointed at all.

The vehicle has spent some time over in Idaho during the winters where they use salt, and all the hardware and finishes have resisted corrosion.

So there's that...as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary" but if you're looking for a 'thumbs up' for a particular brand, I'd give mine to AEV. My happiness with a product doesn't come from knowing I saved money on something...it comes from that product's ability to meet my needs and exceed my expectations, and the 2.5" kit from AEV has done just that!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are going to be adding any additional weight, like a winch, steel front and rear bumpers, etc. I'd give thought to the OME 2" heavy weight kit.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aev

Looks like you need the aev kit based on your comments about usage. I had the RK 2.5 springs for about 8k miles (they are for sale if you want to piece together a kit using RK springs). While I thought they were a decent spring, I think you'll prefer the AEV. I can't speak for the 2.5 kit since I have a 3.5" AEV now, but I can tell you that the on road ride is better. Also, using the same shocks, I can reach my 3" bumpstop and full shock extension with either set of springs when articulating. Spring bind seems more like a marketing pitch against AEV than anything. The stock arms with the geo brackets flex great! If you went flat fenders with different bump stops the RK springs may offer more articulation, but I cannot confirm/deny that.

Things to ponder. Every company will tell you why their kit is better. That's why I have tried so many different things on my unlimited, and why I roll a frankenlift mostly based on AEV parts (or parts that other companies copied from AEV, using thicker steel).
Old 10-31-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd stay away from the AEV Front Geo Drop Brackets and go straight to adjustable front lower control arms. If you really want the brackets I've heard the Rancho ones are pretty beefy compared to AEV's. I actually bent my AEV's...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-511990433.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	582411

Name:	image-1613749755.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	582412

Name:	image-1506935536.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	582414
Old 10-31-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
I'd stay away from the AEV Front Geo Drop Brackets and go straight to adjustable front lower control arms. If you really want the brackets I've heard the Rancho ones are pretty beefy compared to AEV's. I actually bent my AEV's...

Attachment 582411

Attachment 582412

Attachment 582414
I have the AEV brackets and I am very careful in picking safe lines. When and if I smash them against something then I will replace them with the rancho units.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth
Looks like you need the aev kit based on your comments about usage. I had the RK 2.5 springs for about 8k miles (they are for sale if you want to piece together a kit using RK springs). While I thought they were a decent spring, I think you'll prefer the AEV. I can't speak for the 2.5 kit since I have a 3.5" AEV now, but I can tell you that the on road ride is better. Also, using the same shocks, I can reach my 3" bumpstop and full shock extension with either set of springs when articulating. Spring bind seems more like a marketing pitch against AEV than anything. The stock arms with the geo brackets flex great! If you went flat fenders with different bump stops the RK springs may offer more articulation, but I cannot confirm/deny that.

Things to ponder. Every company will tell you why their kit is better. That's why I have tried so many different things on my unlimited, and why I roll a frankenlift mostly based on AEV parts (or parts that other companies copied from AEV, using thicker steel).
Just out of curiosity are the coils you have our triple rate coils or are they our older style progressive front and linear rear coils?

RK
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 AM
JK Newbie

I have the AEV 2.5" lift on my 2dr (in Australia) and its shit.. the ride is harsh, the brackets are crap, they bend easily and drag everywhere.. I blindly bought the kit because lots of people said how they "love it" and its "so much better on and offroad"..
I wish I could go back in time and do it all again.. I do run my 2dr very light.. light bumpers, no rear seats.. hiking style gear inside so granted I am not AEV's target audience.. if you load your rig up with heaps of gear it may be better..
Am planning on ripping it out and going straight to a 1.5" Rock Krawler kit but seeing as no one in Australia stocks their gear its expensive as their gear is not lightweight and shipping is expensive.. Listen to the guys here who recommend RK.. not only do you have their support here but I reckon you will have the best performing system offroad
Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warnabrother
I have the AEV 2.5" lift on my 2dr (in Australia) and its shit.. the ride is harsh, the brackets are crap, they bend easily and drag everywhere.. I blindly bought the kit because lots of people said how they "love it" and its "so much better on and offroad".. I wish I could go back in time and do it all again.. I do run my 2dr very light.. light bumpers, no rear seats.. hiking style gear inside so granted I am not AEV's target audience.. if you load your rig up with heaps of gear it may be better.. Am planning on ripping it out and going straight to a 1.5" Rock Krawler kit but seeing as no one in Australia stocks their gear its expensive as their gear is not lightweight and shipping is expensive.. Listen to the guys here who recommend RK.. not only do you have their support here but I reckon you will have the best performing system offroad
I plan to frame this post and hang it in my office.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by warnabrother
I have the AEV 2.5" lift on my 2dr (in Australia) and its shit.. the ride is harsh, the brackets are crap, they bend easily and drag everywhere.. I blindly bought the kit because lots of people said how they "love it" and its "so much better on and offroad"..
I wish I could go back in time and do it all again.. I do run my 2dr very light.. light bumpers, no rear seats.. hiking style gear inside so granted I am not AEV's target audience.. if you load your rig up with heaps of gear it may be better..
Am planning on ripping it out and going straight to a 1.5" Rock Krawler kit but seeing as no one in Australia stocks their gear its expensive as their gear is not lightweight and shipping is expensive.. Listen to the guys here who recommend RK.. not only do you have their support here but I reckon you will have the best performing system offroad
Thanks for the kind words!

RK
Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

2.5 X factor! Simply amazing ride!

Attachment 584108

Quick Reply: AEV vs. RK 2.5 - RK takes over when?