Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV vs. Metalcloak

Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity
No personal experence with these systems BUT I have been doing tons of research and here is what I can tell you....

The AEV 2.5" system is a nice on road system, comes with tuned shocks and springs made to work perfectly with eachother for smooth ride. The AEV kit however is not a complete kit, you will need to add components like adjustable trackbars and or plates to re center your front and rear diffs. On a 2 door, you will likely need to the correction plates which hang down very low so if you are looking for offroad clearance and performance, spend a little more time looking at how you need to build out this kit to make sure you go straight down the road and maximize the other components in the kit.

With metlacloak, they are more expensive from what I have seen but their kits are more complete also. If you are looking for offroad performance, this is the kit you want.

I would suggest you take a gander at RockKrawler. They weren't even in my top 5 until I did my research. They are now my top choice simply because their kits are more complete than the AEV kits, less so than the metalcloak kits, yet less costly then metal cloak and they have a full upgrade path from their base kit to grow it into any of their of their other kidt by just adding more of their product line to the stock mod system (base kit). You add what you want when you want its that simple.

With the RK kit you will need either shock extensions or new shocks, doesnt come with it like the AEV, BUT it does come with fully adjustable front track bar and you do want that when lifting for sure. You can get Bilstien 5100 shocks for $300 for all 4 corners and you will also need brakeline extension brackes or extended brakelines. You will also need to beef up the bump stops.

When you look at dollar for dollar, the RK stock mod kit with the additionals including new shocks is pretty damn close to the AEV kit with one difference, no adjustable track bar on the AEV. Big no no for me. And with the AEV, no where to "grow" as they say. RK will always be able to grow with you because of how they set up their kits, any and all of them are upgradeable allowing you to retain your initial investment.

I'm sorry to say that but I don't agree on most of your post.

AEV 2.5'' kit is a complete kit and nothing else other than the geometry correction brackets is required. It is as good off road as any other system of the same lift height that use regular type shocks like MC game changer lite ARB and they will provide about the same Wheel travel. Wheel travel is limited by the shocks total travel and bumpstop to prevent the tire to rub the inner fenders. Stock control arms are good with standard travel shocks like bilstein 5100, 5160, OME ARB, Fox, etc.
The rear AEV track bar properly center and match the front so the front track bar doesn't need to be replaced. If you go with MC 6paks shocks, now you gain a lot of Wheel travel and the stock control arms bushing might not provide ernough flex so, now and only if you go with the 6paks you should consider replacing the control arms. AEV use premium triple rate coil springs and shocks wich is IMO verry important part of any lift kit and they also retain every good stock components with just replacing what needs to be replaced. Also the AEV geometry correction bracket doesn't sit lower than the controls arms so it doesn't reduce the ground clearace that much.

With AEV you can also replace and upgrade other component like control arms later if you need to.

A very important thing; Replacing all the control arms by adjustable ones of different angle and lenght, will change the suspension geometry, driveline angles and alignment. So if you mess with all of those setting on adjustable arms you might ends up with more problems than improvement over stock.

The more you modify, the more you need to know what you are doing. Keeping you jeep stock will assure trouble free for years. That why I'm very careful of what component I want to upgrade. Some after market components might be better and stronger than OEM in some case but in general, it is very difficult to closely match the quality, fit and finish of the OEM parts.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
Also the AEV geometry correction bracket doesn't sit lower than the controls arms so it doesn't reduce the ground clearace ........

. Some after market components might be better and stronger than OEM in some case but in general, it is very difficult to closely match the quality, fit and finish of the OEM parts. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Is there a new and improved bracket? The one I had sat quite a bit lower than a control arm in the stock location. I ended up bending them and replacing them with tf adjustable lower arms - much better in my opinion.

I most certainly do not agree with your last statement either. While it's not mandatory to get adjustable arms and yes, you can get drop brackets. I don't believe this is nearly as strong as after market units. Same with track bars, drag links, ball joints, etc. Hell, I'd love to cut every single bracket off my axles and replace them with synergy brackets.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sea bass
Is there a new and improved bracket? The one I had sat quite a bit lower than a control arm in the stock location. I ended up bending them and replacing them with tf adjustable lower arms - much better in my opinion.

I most certainly do not agree with your last statement either. While it's not mandatory to get adjustable arms and yes, you can get drop brackets. I don't believe this is nearly as strong as after market units. Same with track bars, drag links, ball joints, etc. Hell, I'd love to cut every single bracket off my axles and replace them with synergy brackets.

It depends how you drive and where, for most casual off roader, the stocks components are just fine and they will last for a while. They are cold forged and stronger than some aftermarket parts. But if you are a hard core rock crawler with a heavy foot you might want to bomb proof everything to make sure you won't get stuck in the forest. Then the choice to go with metalcloak, RK, Terraflex, synergy, to name a few, might make sens.

For the AEV 2.5'' lift, if they are properly installed on the correct position, the drop bracket sit at the same height as the front control arms wich are almost parralel to the ground. Yes you loose a bit of clearance lowering the rear of the front control arms but this is a price to pay to have a good suspension geometry for good on road manners. The only part of the bracket that are about 1/4'' lower are the round edges around the mounting bolts.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

It depends how you drive and where, for most casual off roader, the stocks components are just fine and they will last for a while. They are cold forged and stronger than some aftermarket parts. But if you are a hard core rock crawler with a heavy foot you might want to bomb proof everything to make sure you won't get stuck in the forest. Then the choice to go with metalcloak, RK, Terraflex, synergy, to name a few, might make sens. For the AEV 2.5'' lift, if they are properly installed on the correct position, the drop bracket sit at the same height as the front control arms wich are almost parralel to the ground. Yes you loose a bit of clearance lowering the rear of the front control arms but this is a price to pay to have a good suspension geometry for good on road manners. The only part of the bracket that are about 1/4'' lower are the round edges around the mounting bolts.
Fully backing this analysis^
Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends how you drive and where, for most casual off roader, the stocks components are just fine and they will last for a while. They are cold forged and stronger than some aftermarket parts. But if you are a hard core rock crawler with a heavy foot you might want to bomb proof everything to make sure you won't get stuck in the forest. Then the choice to go with metalcloak, RK, Terraflex, synergy, to name a few, might make sens.

For the AEV 2.5'' lift, if they are properly installed on the correct position, the drop bracket sit at the same height as the front control arms wich are almost parralel to the ground. Yes you loose a bit of clearance lowering the rear of the front control arms but this is a price to pay to have a good suspension geometry for good on road manners. The only part of the bracket that are about 1/4'' lower are the round edges around the mounting bolts.
I had placed an order with MC for the GC ARB, but decided my needs don't match the ability and price of the GC. So I decided to cancel the order based on not needing the GC from MC and the fact that I'm expanding my business. They have a 5% restocking fee and I fully expected to pay that. Got a VM from Matson and said he would cancel the order and not charge me the 5% fee. MetalCloak is an awesome company and one day I will probably add their suspension and fenders, but for now my AEV suits my needs. Thank you MC for the great customer service!!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personnaly when I installed my AEV 2.5'' lift and 35'' I wanted something for DD and Overland/expedition type Wheeling. I do not Wheel off road, just trails, so I didn't see any advantage going with MC. I wanted to keep the most stock component while I'm still on the warranty (I have a 6/120K extended warranty). AEV seems to be a good compromise for good on road manners with off road capacity hence the name dualsport.

In the future and if Goodyear would come with their excellent duratrac in 37/12.50R17 I might be tempted to jump on 37 but this will requires much more than just a new lift (upgraded axles, driveline, re-gear, etc).

By the time I wear my 35, I have time to preprare the jeep for bigger tires and I'm planning mods in this direction: Bushwacker flat fenders, new bumpers, new driveshaft, AFE exhaust, dynatrac prorock axles, adjustable control arms from RK or MC , etc.

Then I should be ready for more intense off road use.

So to answer to the thread, both company AEV and MC offers good products but intended for different people. Mostly on road/Overland use; go AEV. Want to go off road, go MC.
I would not say AEV is over priced, the quality is there and tripple rate coil are more expensive to produce than dual rate or progressive springs. Also asking bilstein to produce specific shocks comes at an increased price over standard bilstein 5100.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

My other concern was needing a new DS which I don't need with my AEV. I'm just using as a DD and light trails/camping. Like I said before MC is an awesome company. AEV was equally helpful when I purchased my lift. I have had zero problems with the AEV.

Quick Reply: AEV vs. Metalcloak