Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV vs. Metalcloak

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Draken is the place to call.

I was stupid when I did my lift and should have called Draken.

Just call Draken.... you can thank me later.

Here is their beautiful and masterfully designed and engineered JK rear ending system! I know these things because I read them on Wayolife and he's given it his golden brown stamp of approval. He's a smart and honest guy, so I let him do my research and always have the best because he finds it for me, tests it for me, and approves it for me.... one day I'm going to be like him and buy all the same stuff he bought. He runs Draken.... so should you!

I wonder how the likes of MC and AEV can even stay in business? This is the real deal here!

Woe is the the individual that doesn't understand internet jest and starts rolling Draken!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

I don't, I, I don't even know what to say! haha Why can't I wiggle my nose and just try out both? I need to borrow somebodies EASY button, lol
Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luxx989
I don't, I, I don't even know what to say! haha Why can't I wiggle my nose and just try out both? I need to borrow somebodies EASY button, lol
If you were local, I'd let you test drive ours. We have a 4 dr on AEV 4.5", a 4 dr on a Teraflex long arm with King/EVO coilovers, and a 2 dr on a Trailmaster/Rock Krawler long arm. I have a friend with 2.5" MC springs and Bilstein shocks you could try.

My 2 dr used to be on OME HD springs, Currie Arms, Teraflex trackbars and OME LT shocks. I sold the setup to another friend who's rig you could test drive.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
That may be driver ability more than the lift.

There is a reason that a Subaru STI out handles a Subaru WRX, and it isn't from a softer, flexier suspension.
You're right. And he'd probably be perfectly happy with any of the suggestions here.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
I have the aev 2.5" with the drop brackets. I can't say enough good things about it. I drive 40 miles a day mostly highway. The ride is second to none. It handles so much better than stock or my previous leveling kit.
I run the AEV 2.5" kit and I think its just ok. I know there is better out there and that's why I'm switching to MC real soon.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

No personal experence with these systems BUT I have been doing tons of research and here is what I can tell you....

The AEV 2.5" system is a nice on road system, comes with tuned shocks and springs made to work perfectly with eachother for smooth ride. The AEV kit however is not a complete kit, you will need to add components like adjustable trackbars and or plates to re center your front and rear diffs. On a 2 door, you will likely need to the correction plates which hang down very low so if you are looking for offroad clearance and performance, spend a little more time looking at how you need to build out this kit to make sure you go straight down the road and maximize the other components in the kit.

With metlacloak, they are more expensive from what I have seen but their kits are more complete also. If you are looking for offroad performance, this is the kit you want.

I would suggest you take a gander at RockKrawler. They weren't even in my top 5 until I did my research. They are now my top choice simply because their kits are more complete than the AEV kits, less so than the metalcloak kits, yet less costly then metal cloak and they have a full upgrade path from their base kit to grow it into any of their of their other kidt by just adding more of their product line to the stock mod system (base kit). You add what you want when you want its that simple.

With the RK kit you will need either shock extensions or new shocks, doesnt come with it like the AEV, BUT it does come with fully adjustable front track bar and you do want that when lifting for sure. You can get Bilstien 5100 shocks for $300 for all 4 corners and you will also need brakeline extension brackes or extended brakelines. You will also need to beef up the bump stops.

When you look at dollar for dollar, the RK stock mod kit with the additionals including new shocks is pretty damn close to the AEV kit with one difference, no adjustable track bar on the AEV. Big no no for me. And with the AEV, no where to "grow" as they say. RK will always be able to grow with you because of how they set up their kits, any and all of them are upgradeable allowing you to retain your initial investment.

Last edited by GiggityGiggity; 03-07-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I think you may find your upgrade to be disappointing for the amount of money you are going to spend.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity
No personal experence with these systems BUT I have been doing tons of research and here is what I can tell you....

The AEV 2.5" system is a nice on road system, comes with tuned shocks and springs made to work perfectly with eachother for smooth ride. The AEV kit however is not a complete kit, you will need to add components like adjustable trackbars and or plates to re center your front and rear diffs. On a 2 door, you will likely need to the correction plates which hang down very low so if you are looking for offroad clearance and performance, spend a little more time looking at how you need to build out this kit to make sure you go straight down the road and maximize the other components in the kit.

With metlacloak, they are more expensive from what I have seen but their kits are more complete also. If you are looking for offroad performance, this is the kit you want.

I would suggest you take a gander at RockKrawler. They weren't even in my top 5 until I did my research. They are now my top choice simply because their kits are more complete than the AEV kits, less so than the metalcloak kits, yet less costly then metal cloak and they have a full upgrade path from their base kit to grow it into any of their of their other kidt by just adding more of their product line to the stock mod system (base kit). You add what you want when you want its that simple.

With the RK kit you will need either shock extensions or new shocks, doesnt come with it like the AEV, BUT it does come with fully adjustable front track bar and you do want that when lifting for sure. You can get Bilstien 5100 shocks for $300 for all 4 corners and you will also need brakeline extension brackes or extended brakelines. You will also need to beef up the bump stops.

When you look at dollar for dollar, the RK stock mod kit with the additionals including new shocks is pretty damn close to the AEV kit with one difference, no adjustable track bar on the AEV. Big no no for me. And with the AEV, no where to "grow" as they say. RK will always be able to grow with you because of how they set up their kits, any and all of them are upgradeable allowing you to retain your initial investment.
Keep drinking that cool aid.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I think you may find your upgrade to be disappointing for the amount of money you are going to spend.
There is just something about this AEV kit I don't like. I run a very light modified Jeep. I run PS front bumper and MC rear bumper with TF tire carrier. No other weight in my Jeep at all. On some road surfaces it get a pretty sharp feedback in the steering wheel. Its almost like the stock CA's are binding and then rebounding. I think the CA's bolts were tighten while Jeep was on ground per AEV. I also think the springs are a little too stiff for a light Jeep. It handles pretty good, but I think it could ride better. I had an OME kit on my TJ and it rode better than my JKU with AEV. I like that MC uses OME.

Last edited by DallasJKU; 03-07-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity
RK will always be able to grow with you because of how they set up their kits, any and all of them are upgradeable allowing you to retain your initial investment.
I'll elaborate on this....

All kits are upgradeable in regards to your initial investment. If you buy parts that are adjustable for 0-6" lift then they'll be ready for your next setup.

"Upgradeable" is a marketing term and quite obviously it's working well. Surprisingly, the JK comes out of the factory with upgradeable suspension! You just ditch the coils (like most kits) and start adding other small pieces (like most kits) and then ensure your track bars are long enough (......get the point?)

Your wheels are also "upgradeable"- just add larger tires. Wide tires? No problem- add spacers. Boom- upgraded.

Quick Reply: AEV vs. Metalcloak