Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV vs. Metalcloak

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am weighing these options also;
AEV RS 3.5" with the bilstein 5160's vs. MC gamechanger 2.5" with the 6paks
My question: is the approx. $2K difference worth it for the metalcloak kit?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddmatt9400
I am weighing these options also;
AEV RS 3.5" with the bilstein 5160's vs. MC gamechanger 2.5" with the 6paks
My question: is the approx. $2K difference worth it for the metalcloak kit?
A better comparison is going to be the ARB edition. That said take 1300 bucks off your MC estimate
this puts you at a $700.00 difference. Or you could remove the cost of the shocks completely and
look at the duroflex suspension which is only $1900. You need shocks either way so just look at
the component parts you get witch each kit.

If it were me I would go MC.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the MC lifts level the jk? Looking at the 3.5 springs but they only give overall length, not ride height. Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Do the MC lifts level the jk? Looking at the 3.5 springs but they only give overall length, not ride height. Thanks
I have an aftermarket front bumper and rear tire carrier (neither of which are super heavy) and it leveled it out pretty well. There is a SLIGHT rake but hardly noticeable unless you're on complete level ground and have a pretty good eye.

If you have an aftermarket rear bumper/ tire carrier and light/ stock front bumper (no winch), I would say chances are it's going to be pretty level.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

AEV and MC are designed for completely different uses.

AEV designs its stuff to work together--extremely heavy bumpers, Hemi swaps, etc.--to be used mostly for street driving and expedition-type wheeling. The coils and shocks are tuned/valved to work together, and the steering and control arm drop brackets, and other brackets are designed to handle hard braking, hard cornering, and other street driving better than stock.

It actually works pretty good for towing at max limits--3500 lbs on a JKU.

As a result, if your rig is light (without very heavy bumpers and loaded with cargo), you drive offroad rarely in expedition mode, you rarely tow, you spend most of your miles off road, etc., the AEV lifts weren't designed specifically for your use.

The MC lifts were designed by guys who rock crawl their jeeps who look for maximum suspension articulation with stock length control arms. They weren't designed for running a slalom course with 1000 lbs of bumpers and cargo added to your jeep, within extra 500 lbs from a Hemi swap, and an emergency braking stop added to the course.

I wouldn't run an AEV if my primary use was rock crawling, and I wouldn't run an MC if my rig was an ubber heavy, mostly street driver that regularly towed 3500 lbs.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
AEV and MC are designed for completely different uses.

AEV designs its stuff to work together--extremely heavy bumpers, Hemi swaps, etc.--to be used mostly for street driving and expedition-type wheeling. The coils and shocks are tuned/valved to work together, and the steering and control arm drop brackets, and other brackets are designed to handle hard braking, hard cornering, and other street driving better than stock.

It actually works pretty good for towing at max limits--3500 lbs on a JKU.

As a result, if your rig is light (without very heavy bumpers and loaded with cargo), you drive offroad rarely in expedition mode, you rarely tow, you spend most of your miles off road, etc., the AEV lifts weren't designed specifically for your use.

The MC lifts were designed by guys who rock crawl their jeeps who look for maximum suspension articulation with stock length control arms. They weren't designed for running a slalom course with 1000 lbs of bumpers and cargo added to your jeep, within extra 500 lbs from a Hemi swap, and an emergency braking stop added to the course.

I wouldn't run an AEV if my primary use was rock crawling, and I wouldn't run an MC if my rig was an ubber heavy, mostly street driver that regularly towed 3500 lbs.

I spent all last night going over their websites, watching video's, and doing what research I could. I pretty much came to the same conclusion, so thanks for saying it better than I could have, lol. AEV's website has a fantastic FAQ that answered a lot of questions I had. I couldn't find anything similar on Metalcloak's site. I am leaning towards the AEV now, considering what I'm building it for. I know they changed a few of the driveshaft requirements on 2012 +up models. So with a 2014 Unlimited Rubi, what modifications have to be made that are not included with the AEV kit, I did read something about an exhaust mod I think, and wheel backspace. Planning on the AEV 3.5" SC Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Draken is the place to call.

I was stupid when I did my lift and should have called Draken.

Just call Draken.... you can thank me later.

Here is their beautiful and masterfully designed and engineered JK rear ending system! I know these things because I read them on Wayolife and he's given it his golden brown stamp of approval. He's a smart and honest guy, so I let him do my research and always have the best because he finds it for me, tests it for me, and approves it for me.... one day I'm going to be like him and buy all the same stuff he bought. He runs Draken.... so should you!

I wonder how the likes of MC and AEV can even stay in business? This is the real deal here!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

ABENDX,

It's your fault I just laughed so hard that my Diet Coke went up my nose...
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can I just add that my MC-equipped JK can corner like it's in rails? It's pretty amazing on-road. I'd love to see the looks on peoples' faces as I pass them on two-lane access loops.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by rodi
Can I just add that my MC-equipped JK can corner like it's in rails? It's pretty amazing on-road. I'd love to see the looks on peoples' faces as I pass them on two-lane access loops.
That may be driver ability more than the lift.

There is a reason that a Subaru STI out handles a Subaru WRX, and it isn't from a softer, flexier suspension.

Quick Reply: AEV vs. Metalcloak