Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aev tire carrier install on stock bumper

Old 06-07-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed!!!

Got this thing done yesterday along with the CHMSL. Through in a Bilstein HD SS as well.

here are some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0209.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	326619Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0213.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	326620
CHMSL peeking through my Argent SavegreClick image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0214.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	326621
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if this mount will work with an ARB or Hanson bumper? Or are there any pictures floating around of how exactly the carrier mounts to the frame?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kyleh47
Does anyone know if this mount will work with an ARB or Hanson bumper? Or are there any pictures floating around of how exactly the carrier mounts to the frame?
look at the AEV product page and see the instructions for install....it has pics and a cad diagram of the carrier and spindle housing...that should help
Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=rdubb1031;3031229]For once I'd say, don't buy from N4x4. I got mine local for $699 plus tax. much cheaper. (for the record I called N4x4 first, just shipping is expensive)

I would say that depends on your location. I did a ton of research trying to find the best deal for a bunch of AEV gear and locally, the only one that I found that carried it in SD was at Off Road Warehouse and they were more than $100 pricier than NR4x4. Even Quadratec ended up being more expensive, and off course direct from AEV for some crazy reason is more expensive than NR4x4, which I was really surprised about. Plus, Dave gives great customer support. He answered all my dumb questions for the last 2-3 months as I did research on the kits I wanted to buy and ended up giving me a great discount after I decided to order everything from him.

As far as the install, I did it with a custom mechanic friend of mine. The rear bumper and tire carrier took less than 3 hrs and was relatively easy. The hardest part was figuring out the water tanks when you end up putting everything back together at the same time. I would recommend you just place the tanks in position vice putting the screws in loosely (as I had to remove the screws to get everything lined up properly for fit).

The best part of the design is the use of the turn buckle to keep the tire carrier attached to the door, instead of having to take it off prior to opening the door like some other carriers. Another bit of advice, definitely use help to place weight on the tire carrier when you hold it in place prior to final positioning drills. My initial attempt ended up going on crooked because the wheel weight wasn't on the carrier, so I put weight on it to "simulate" the weight for a good line up.

Last edited by Chow53; 06-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Chow53;3066673]
Originally Posted by rdubb1031
Another bit of advice, definitely use help to place weight on the tire carrier when you hold it in place prior to final positioning drills. My initial attempt ended up going on crooked because the wheel weight wasn't on the carrier, so I put weight on it to "simulate" the weight for a good line up.
i got everything adjusted properly than just tightened up the two bolts on the spindle housing(front one first). with them bolted up I just simply drilled the two holes. really not an issue if you tighten up the other two bolts before drilling
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=Chow53;3066673]
Originally Posted by rdubb1031
For once I'd say, don't buy from N4x4. I got mine local for $699 plus tax. much cheaper. (for the record I called N4x4 first, just shipping is expensive)

I would say that depends on your location. I did a ton of research trying to find the best deal for a bunch of AEV gear and locally, the only one that I found that carried it in SD was at Off Road Warehouse and they were more than $100 pricier than NR4x4. Even Quadratec ended up being more expensive, and off course direct from AEV for some crazy reason is more expensive than NR4x4, which I was really surprised about. Plus, Dave gives great customer support. He answered all my dumb questions for the last 2-3 months as I did research on the kits I wanted to buy and ended up giving me a great discount after I decided to order everything from him.

As far as the install, I did it with a custom mechanic friend of mine. The rear bumper and tire carrier took less than 3 hrs and was relatively easy. The hardest part was figuring out the water tanks when you end up putting everything back together at the same time. I would recommend you just place the tanks in position vice putting the screws in loosely (as I had to remove the screws to get everything lined up properly for fit).

The best part of the design is the use of the turn buckle to keep the tire carrier attached to the door, instead of having to take it off prior to opening the door like some other carriers. Another bit of advice, definitely use help to place weight on the tire carrier when you hold it in place prior to final positioning drills. My initial attempt ended up going on crooked because the wheel weight wasn't on the carrier, so I put weight on it to "simulate" the weight for a good line up.
I'd hate to know how much your local shop was charging then. N4x4 was $150 more than the local shop. If you were talking $100 more than that, that's potential $250 more than I paid? Glad you found it cheaper and location does depend. Our local shop keeps them in stock so it saves on freight.

Quick Reply: Aev tire carrier install on stock bumper