Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Tire Carrier + Gobi Ranger Rack + Lights = Help

Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Tire Carrier + Gobi Ranger Rack + Lights = Help

Need some help, photos, links.. whatever you've got. I have the AEV tire carrier on a stock bumper. I'm looking to purchase a Gobi Ranger rack with lights and will most likely attempt the install on my own. Questions I have are:
1. What needs to happen to use the AEV tire carrier with the rack?
2. Is there any conflict with the Gobi mount bracket and the AEV spindle mount at the frame?
3. Is there any write up on mounting rack lights?
4. Where do the wires enter the body at?

If anyone is running this setup please let me know. I'd like to know what to look out for, before I get in to it.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

No one had this setup?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have similar, only difference is Mopar Offroad rear bumper, but spindle location is same.
No problem using carrier with rack. No interference with ladders either.
Lights are easy, wiring goes up through front tube, either side. Grommets are in Gobi tubing that cover pre-drilled entrance and exit holes. You can run them to the rear too. Wires exit engine bay under the cowl. I posted pics of this a couple years ago when I set mine up. I'll see if I can find them.

See my pics this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...5/#post2557701

Last edited by ShakyJake; 09-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Great. I will take a look.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

there is an AEV. specific bracket from Gobi. The rack still mounts to the frame just in a slightly different position. with the bracket, there is no interference with the AEV bumper and or tire carrier/spindle.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Well.. i ordered the bracket, quick discos, and pad replacement package and to my surprise it showed up on Friday after being told it was on backorder "for awhile". Since the weather in Denver was awesome this weekend (near 70) decided to try and get it on.. This is probably a 2 hr or so job, but since this was a used rack, I had to take off my AEV tire carrier, lunch, and my 3 year old son "helped me", it took about 6 hrs. Had a few "hiccups" taking the rack apart as the pinch bar was missing, some bolts were stuck, etc. I worked through those and for the most part it came out pretty nice. I didn't get the lights on, as I do not know anything about electrical, so that will probably be a shop install down the road. I took it for a spin to dinner and it had a few rattles which turned out to be an extra twist at the quick discos and vertical mount at the back.

All in all it's a nice rack. Had my son on it last night and it's pretty solid. We hooked up our cargo carrier bag and it looks like it will work just fine! I do notice the added weight. the back is a bit more compressed so it feels a little sloppy on bumps and corners, but nothing too bad. Actually it may have actually softened the ride overall. You can notice the added weight on top and it feels a bit tipsy at times, but once again, nothing too bad.

Here are couple of quick shots from the driveway.. It'll most likely get used for getting teh family around in the short term, and hopefully some bigger camping trips as the kids get bigger. Now we might actually have room for the two kids and two dogs!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack1-small.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	509658Click image for larger version

Name:	rack2-small.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	509659

Quick Reply: AEV Tire Carrier + Gobi Ranger Rack + Lights = Help