Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV stand alone tire carrier with ARB bumper?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV stand alone tire carrier with ARB bumper?

I have read that the AEV tire carrier mounts seperately to the frame from the bumper itself, and it could be installed alone with the stock bumper. AEV's forum also has a thread about the development of the bumper and specifially mentions that the carrier can be mounted as a stand alone carrier with the stock bumper, and then the AEV bumper can be added later on. This makes me wonder about runnign the AEV carrier (which I like, frame mounted, opens with the tail gate, adjustable in height/depth) with other non-stock bumpers.

I'm really partial to the ARB rear bumper, but of course, they don't offer a carrier. I'm wondering if the AEV carrier could be adapted to use with the ARB bumper (since AEV indicates clearly their carrier can be used with the stock bumper)? I can't find any info on how the ARB mounts, but it appears it has some tubular framing behind the stamped steel bumper. That tubing would be the only reason I can think of that this wouldn't work. Outside of that, it would be nothing more than drilling a hole in the top of the bumper to mount the AEV pivot, and you'd be done. Anyone with an ARB bumper or AEV carrier care to comment?

Last edited by Robar; 12-24-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: EDITED OUT OTHER JEEP RELATED FORUM
Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both AEV and ARB are running a similar tube system in the corners. I think you should be fine with an ARB bumper and AEV carrier since both bumpers are using the same exact stock mounting points, and then tying the corner tube work back into the frame. There is only one way to be 100% sure it will work though, and I doubt anyone has already done the combo.

Last edited by Littlejon; 12-24-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

so how does the carrier come through the stock bumper? Do you cut a hole for it im guessing? That could be a cheaper alternative to a lot of expensive tire carrier bumpers
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard $699 floating around. That would make sense because quadratech offers the bumper/carrier for $1599 and the bumper only for $918.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap.... If they had this out I would have done it over my LoD... anyone want a slightly used shorty LoD rear gen2 with carrier and fog lights??? you live and learn I guess....
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

My dream comes true!!!! I want that!!!!
Originally Posted by buster04
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have pics of how the ARB bumper mounts?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else think $600+ for a TIRE CARRIER is rediculous?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I was looking at getting the mopar offroad carrier for $400 something. I think Im considering the aev carrier just for some extra features it has. Swings with the tailgate being one, along with the shovel and highlift mounting options.

Quick Reply: AEV stand alone tire carrier with ARB bumper?