Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV snorkel installed

Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV snorkel installed

Thanks to David at Northridge....I ordered this last Monday and it made it here by Friday so I had a little project to do this weekend All in all it's an easy install. The hardest part is not shaking too bad while making the first cut into a $30K vehicle

Hole that is cut out and taped off/sprayed so the metal isn't bare

Fitment of snorkel into the stock airbox

Finished install

And I got a hair up my ass and started gutting the tub to try and get the herculiner down. Of course I ran out of time and it's gonna rain for the next week. Guess I'll put the doors back on and hope for a break.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now go and get 2 clamps for the hose that goes to the valve cover, it can and has come off and filled the airbox with some water/mud, hell EVERYONE even without a snorkel should clamp that hose.

Jeep looks good
Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I really wana get one of these in the future... can I use a K&N drop in on this aswell ?? also... how much should a place charge to do it... ??

I mean I really do not want to cut this on my own... hahhaaha
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Falconfixer looks great, I like this snorkel with the Ram Air top. What did you use to cut the hood, angle grinder, sawzall ? and did you leave the hood on Jeep or remove it when cutting ?

cheers
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joey2times
I really wana get one of these in the future... can I use a K&N drop in on this aswell ?? also... how much should a place charge to do it... ??

K&N air filter works as no mods are done to that section. I've heard shops charging 3 hours labor for installs. We installed ours a few weeks back, no big deal as long as you have access to the right kind of tools.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by westchester
Falconfixer looks great, I like this snorkel with the Ram Air top. What did you use to cut the hood, angle grinder, sawzall ? and did you leave the hood on Jeep or remove it when cutting ?

cheers
you leave the hood on, just prop it up a bit here is link to the directions, you use a 2in or 3in hole saw and then can use a sawzall or dremmel to cut the rest http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/i...JK_Snorkel.pdf

Originally Posted by joey2times

you should definitely do it your self or get it and bring it to the Snorkel run and we'll do it for you https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/east-coast-51/plans-snorkel-only-run-pine-barrens-88232/

Also myself and others have run the K&N drop in with the snorkel, but it gets WAY to dirty running it with the snorkel while wheeling, if you really insist on it I would suggest using the stock filter when you wheel and then you can switch out to the K&N after. I killed my k&n I couldnt even get it clean anymore after a few months.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

I wouldn't recommed trying to make the cut with an ordinary dremel that's for sure. I picked up a cheap air compressor (11 gallon) and it came with an air grinder. I bought the metal cutoff wheels and attachment and used that. The small compressor made for a little longer then it should have as waiting for pressure to build up every now and again. The directions that come with it are spot on and even come with a template. You mark your area, use a 2" hole saw to cut the corners and a cut-off wheel for the rest. After that its a matter of cleaning it up, spraying it for rust protection and buttoning everything else up. You can see the other piece you rivet on so it covers your cut up pretty well.

tkob, good looking out about the flex hose. I thought snotting some silicone around it but will prolly add another hose clamp.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by westchester

cheers
oh yea, a short piece of 4x4 lumber props it up at the right angle for the outside cut. The inside cut requires a little more dexterity. Defenitely do it yourself or with a buddy and save the shop cash for another mod
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by falconfixer
I wouldn't recommed trying to make the cut with an ordinary dremel that's for sure. I picked up a cheap air compressor (11 gallon) and it came with an air grinder. I bought the metal cutoff wheels and attachment and used that. The small compressor made for a little longer then it should have as waiting for pressure to build up every now and again. The directions that come with it are spot on and even come with a template. You mark your area, use a 2" hole saw to cut the corners and a cut-off wheel for the rest. After that its a matter of cleaning it up, spraying it for rust protection and buttoning everything else up. You can see the other piece you rivet on so it covers your cut up pretty well.

tkob, good looking out about the flex hose. I thought snotting some silicone around it but will prolly add another hose clamp.
I know someone said they cut theirs with dremel cut off wheels

clamp both sides, you dont want to get stuck in water over valve cover with that hose off, not that you want to get stuck in it with it on either

Quick Reply: AEV snorkel installed