Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV snorkel / Airaid CAI combo

Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV snorkel / Airaid CAI combo

So I accidentally broke two of the stock airbox retainer clips when inspecting my air filter. Instead of buying a replacement or using screws to fix it, I found an open box Airaid CAI with the non-oil synthamax filter for sale at $200.

For those curious about the set up...

- box is well built and all the hardware looks well made

- connections to the snorkel actually make sealing to the snorkel easier than with the stock box. There is a flange that bolts to the box and can be riveted to the snorkel.

- i ran sealed ( box top on ) for a bit and unsealed ( box top off...typical CAI setup) and found that I got slightly better mpg with the unit sealed ( top on ). i kinda anticipated that.

- sound with box top off is much louder than the stock box

- sound with box top on is a little louder than the stock box and compliments my exhaust sound.

- doesnt whistle giving me the assumption that all the connections are properlly engineered and the unit is sealed.

When i get time i will connect breather lines to the box and there is room to even though the Airaid filter is massive and fills the box up.

Hope that helps anyone shopping the idea.

A
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1821163172.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	541189   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3751805778.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	541190   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2045864344.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	541191  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That setup looks good, and should provide you with a true cold air intake.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice set up !!!

I'm on the fence between Airaid and Banks. I was going to go with Banks, cause I found a deal on CL, but that fell through so now I'm on the market to buy new.

How is the fitment between the AR and AEV?

I would so love to do that combo, but only if it doesn't require a lot of hacking.

Can you provide a pic looking into the box?

Is the AEV permanently attached to the AR box?

How much silicone did it require to seal up the gap around the opening in the box?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

I prefer the AR box to the stock box mostly because of how it connects the two together. I used rivets on the connection flange that bolts to the box. the only area to "hack" is about 2" off the AEV intake funnel end to allow for the AR filter to fit in the AR box. the amount of silicone used was about the same as the stock box. I have a prefilter on the AR filter and have much more confidence in it than before (stockbox). Also those f-in clips to peel off the box top on the stock box are a pain to unclip (atleast on mine they were) and when it got cold they just broke off (my error but still...). The AR box top bolts on the top easily and has a gasket to seal it up.

For nearly $400 its not a big enough improvement over the stock box for that price...but at the price I got mine I like it alot.

I can snap some close-ups soon if you still need more clarification...it is pretty straightforward though.

I have two large creek / river crossings on family land in the mountains and will up there within a few days to check trail cameras. It has rained heavily recently so it will be up to about 3 - 4' deep on these access road crossings. I dont forsee any issues with water any more than before....but we will see
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!!

I found the Airaid on amazon, $300 shipped. So I'll go that route and then have the option of doing a AEV soon after.

I was gonna go Banks, but really wanted to install a snorkel and your set up seems to be the best of both.

Have you noticed improvement in drivability? Throttle response or even mpg gain?

If you get time to take pics, that would be great. But don't go out of the way for them. I understand where you're coming from

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scvette01
Thanks for the info!! I found the Airaid on amazon, $300 shipped. So I'll go that route and then have the option of doing a AEV soon after. I was gonna go Banks, but really wanted to install a snorkel and your set up seems to be the best of both. Have you noticed improvement in drivability? Throttle response or even mpg gain? If you get time to take pics, that would be great. But don't go out of the way for them. I understand where you're coming from Thanks again
No prob...
I havent lost or gained mpg's...I drive even tempered so I deduce no improvement or decrease in "performance".

Quick Reply: AEV snorkel / Airaid CAI combo