Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Rims

Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor

It's the mounting style. Hub - centric. Stronger , takes the load and evenly distributes the weight of the vehicle on the hub's boss landing, centers the wheel perfectly and allows the lugs to do their job of clamping. On a Lug-centric wheel the lugs and wheel studs pull double duty as taking the weight evenly AND clamping. When not torqued perfectly the uneven clamping could result in wallowed holes and or shearing.
Hope you're reply doesn't land on blind eyes.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
You know- hub centric, recessed valve stem, materials used, appropriate offset, etc...
Hub centric. Cool, stronger, toolman explained that very well.

Recessed valve stem. Only needed cause its on the very outside of the wheel. There are other companies that put it in a better location. Plus, the recess is very tight and I've had small rocks get pushed in there when the sidewall is against something and cause a leak. Not perfect, but an ok thought.

Materials used. Care to elaborate? Or do you know for a fact they use a better grade of cast aluminum than others? What is it? What are the structural differences? I've seen the outer bead snap clean off on one, and mine personally are looking pretty mangled.

Appropriate offset. Bullshit. Sorry. They are about 4.7" backspace. I had significant running at full lock and full compression and droop it the lower control arms, frame, and sway bar with 35x12.50 MTR-k's. I tore off a ESP cable and damage a break line from the tire pinching them against the frame. I run spacers as well for now.

Great looking wheel IMO, one of the best looking out there (non beadlock), some good features, but had I been wiser when I purchased them I would have went a different route.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKred
Appropriate offset. Bullshit. Sorry. They are about 4.7" backspace. I had significant running at full lock and full compression and droop it the lower control arms, frame, and sway bar with 35x12.50 MTR-k's. I tore off a ESP cable and damage a break line from the tire pinching them against the frame. I run spacers as well for now.
Shoulda checked clearance first?

AEV lists them at ~5.2" offset.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Backspacing that Mike touched on a little more was an issue with mine too. All I did was place a washer under each steering stop (Simply unthread bolt , toss on washers and rethread back in) I am as I have said in the past not an AEV fanboy but do like their wheels and some of their other products as they are decent. With that said their products are like Bank'$ in the diesel world .... you pay for every cent of their R&D along with C.A.D design, overhead, their fuel to and from work, price per KwH to power the factory , toilet paper in the bathrooms , and mainly Name LOL.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

To my understanding they've changed the back spacing a few times. When purchased mine in early 2011 they were about 4.7". About the same as adding a 1.5" spacer to the factory wheel, which are also known to rub to high hell with 35's and lots of axle articulation.

And I didn't want to limit steering, especially now with hydro. Spacer did the trick.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Rugged Ridge now for 3 years or so and unlike some of their other products, they held up pretty good so far. A bit too bling bling for my taste. Partly fixed by painting the fake hub cpas black. fake bead lock bolts still have to be replaced by black ones and they are fine. No problems with back spacing Anyways, pretty good value for money. Pictures on my blog: Black Boar | It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand ;-)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Simple is, simple does
Ya gotta love comedians and name brand junkies...I digress, if you properly torque just about ANY rim out there, you will make it home. Being Hub-Centric is about the only thing making AEV's worth a "couple" bucks more but certainly not what they think they are worth. Not many of the big boyz are running AEV's, so if they aint concerned I doubt us weekend warriors need be too concerned. I'll spend that extra ching elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Knock it all you want but they make a quality product and yes you pay a premium for it. Is it worth it maybe not...I can't speak for the rims but I love my lift. Everyone likes to knock on the top dogs but in the end there is a reason they are one of the top brands.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuozzy
Knock it all you want but they make a quality product and yes you pay a premium for it. Is it worth it maybe not...I can't speak for the rims but I love my lift. Everyone likes to knock on the top dogs but in the end there is a reason they are one of the top brands.
The thread name is "AEV Rims"...not lifts.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

True story.... Talking about the brand not my lift fyi!

Quick Reply: AEV Rims