Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Rear Tire Carrier Rattle. Can't find the source. Help!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Rear Tire Carrier Rattle. Can't find the source. Help!

Have been running the new AEV rear bumper and tire carrier for a couple months now and it's developed a loud rattle that is most apparent when there is lateral force over bumps/washboard. It wasn't a problem before and everything seems tight. The only thing that seems to have any play is the turnbuckle linkage.
I've tried adjusting it so the horizontal bar sits tighter into the saddle on the tailgate, but I don't want to go too far. Seems to me that setting it too agressively could exert a lot of force on the carrier and the tailgate and I don't even know that this is what is causing the rattle.
Anyone else had this trouble?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing that seems to have any play is the turnbuckle linkage.
My guess is the play is the ball of the linkage is warn out. Just a guess .

David
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4

My guess is the play is the ball of the linkage is warn out. Just a guess .

David
Thought I'd follow up on this post from earlier. The rattle was the linkage and adjusting it so the bar fit into the saddle really tight... I mean tighter than you'd expect... was the key.

Tighten it until you're comfortable the bar is seated in the saddle tightly when the tailgate is closed. Then tighten it some more until you feel the force of the bar starting to exert resistance on the tailgate when it is 6-8" from being closed.

Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: AEV Rear Tire Carrier Rattle. Can't find the source. Help!