Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV rear bumper white cap?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV rear bumper white cap?

So my AEV rear bumper was just delivered and I noticed the water reservoir cap is WHITE? WTF? Does anyone know if I can exchange it for a black one? I found a bunch of old posts about complaints about it from 2010 so I'm guessing they have a black cap by now. You would think that a company that charges $1600 for a bumper would give a matching cap...I'm actually stunned.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any liquid containers are colored based on the liquid inside.

White=Water
Red=Gas
Diesel=Yellow
Kerosene=Blue
misc=Black

I would think you could just give it a light spray with a rattle can and you would be set for less than a $1

Last edited by RedOffRoad; 02-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think that is the case otherwise they would have made the tanks white. My fuel cans are red with black caps so I don't think it's the cap color that designates the contents, but rather the tank color themselves.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offcamber
I don't think that is the case otherwise they would have made the tanks white. My fuel cans are red with black caps so I don't think it's the cap color that designates the contents, but rather the tank color themselves.
Correct, but the tank recessed into the bumper, right? hard to see the tank under the shell of the bumper, so they color code the cap, so that if you were in an accident or someone other then you were to need to know the contents they would see a liquid container with a white cap, then knowing its water instead of fuel.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, only the lower area of the tanks are covered. Just checked some threads on the AEV forums and apparently it's white simply because AEV said they couldn't get a good enough deal on black caps.

Actually I may end up using mine for extra fuel rather than water...

Originally Posted by RedOffRoad
Correct, but the tank recessed into the bumper, right? hard to see the tank under the shell of the bumper, so they color code the cap, so that if you were in an accident or someone other then you were to need to know the contents they would see a liquid container with a white cap, then knowing its water instead of fuel.

Last edited by offcamber; 02-23-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just comes in white. Sucks. I mean for an order of 10,000 caps how much could that cost?

I bet a lot of people would pay 10.00 a piece for them.

They paid mold fees to get the tanks made, couldn't they have just made the opening the size of a black cap that is already being made by someone?

Last edited by kneeman; 02-23-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo
It's an injection molded part with minimum order quanties in excess of 10,000; more for special colors because of how much material it takes to purge the machines of a special color plastic. Ended up being cost prohibitive to get black caps sepcially made; when a perfectly functioning cap was already available and easy to paint if the customer so desired.

I'm not sure how suitable those tanks are for holding fuel. I know they are food grade poly but not sure they are stable for fuel. I'm prety sure the cross tube that runs under the frame between the tanks is not though so at the very least you would want to buy new fittings and hose that was rated for fuel handling
Another thing to think about; once you put fuel in them they will never be good for water tanks again
I'm not really sure i'd ever use them for drinkable water anyway since you can't get all of the water out of them. They did not even install drain plugs in them?!?!

After spending the last couple of hours on the install, I really wish I'd waited and went with something else. Their installation instructions are the worst I've ever seen. They have you basically install the entire tire carrier, and then completely remove it and disassemble it then reinstall it. The hardware is all mis-matched. The $49 brake light is a cheap $9 autozone part. I'm really surprised at the great reviews of it because I'm beginning to feel ripped off having spent $1600 on it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not really sure i'd ever use them for drinkable water anyway since you can't get all of the water out of them. They did not even install drain plugs in them?!?!

After spending the last couple of hours on the install, I really wish I'd waited and went with something else. Their installation instructions are the worst I've ever seen. They have you basically install the entire tire carrier, and then completely remove it and disassemble it then reinstall it. The hardware is all mis-matched. The $49 brake light is a cheap $9 autozone part. I'm really surprised at the great reviews of it because I'm beginning to feel ripped off having spent $1600 on it.
Ugh.. I was just getting ready to buy one.
I wish they had drain plugs. You could always add them yourself. Don't know why they didn't put them in there.

I agree all the reviews are excellent though.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kneeman
Ugh.. I was just getting ready to buy one.
I wish they had drain plugs. You could always add them yourself. Don't know why they didn't put them in there.

I agree all the reviews are excellent though.
I wanted the Expedition One rear bumper and tire carrier but it's about 6 weeks to get one. I have some travel coming up and going it without a spare made me way to nervous so I went ahead and got the AEV because I got a pretty good deal on it (less than it would have cost for the Expedition One). The AEV just seems thrown together from a trip to Home Depot. Not at all what I expected from the reputation. The water pump setup is a joke too, btw.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Sorry you are experience buyer's remorse. I know what that is like, it sucks

I too have been interested in this bumper. Their site shows it with a white cap, but I will give in that their first picture shows what looks like a black cap (No idea if the pics are of customer's installs and maybe they painted it black themselves or if it is false advertising.) but the second pictures displays a white cap.

As far as the drain plugs, their FAQ states:

"Is there a drain in the water tanks for cleaning?"
"No, but because the water tanks are plumbed together from beneath, the connecting hose can be disconnected and all of the water drained out. This makes cleaning reasonably easy."

I would encourage that you do clean the tanks, especially if you will drink from them. On a military field exercise, my unit linked up with another. We drank water from their field "jugs" that they brought with them. I got very sick. Ended up that this other unit failed to clean their water "jugs" prior to the exercise. I was violently ill, while others just felt bad, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Your posts have made me have second thoughts on this bumper though. I was going to buy their 3.5" lift, but have since decided on an OME LT kit from NR4x4 (tax check pending). I have their snorkel and like it, but that is the extent on my knowledge of their products first hand.

Thinking Poison Spyder now. I just wish they had a fuel carrying option. Looks like a Rotopax ratchet strap set up is what I'll have to do.

Quick Reply: AEV rear bumper white cap?