Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV rear bumper and spare tire carrier

Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV rear bumper and spare tire carrier

One of the online vendors this morning told me that the AEV rear bumper and spare tire carrier weigh in at 155 pounds.

My question is: for anyone who has only replaced their rear bumper only with this combination, how much did it lower the rear of your JK? I'm saying in this example that you still use the stocker front bumper (so as not to offset the added rear weight).
Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I only have the tire carrier but I can say it's VERY heavy, but so well made I could care less about the weight. Great product.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Here is a shot of my Jeep with a Full Traction Premium Plus lift and AEV front and rear bumpers. The front bumper has a Warn 9500 winch in it. If you notice it's pretty level front to rear.

Hope this helps.

Merlinn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep3-4 rear.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	217019  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

BTW I would call AEV about that 155 LBS weight for the rear bumper and tire carrier. Having just installed it last weekend, sure didn't seen that heavy to me.. Either I got a lot stronger or I would guess about 90-100 max. Here is their number 406-251-2100, I also would be curious if I'm way off in my guesstimate.

Merlinn
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Curiosity got the best of me I called them, right around 100 lbs for bumper and tire carrier.

Merlinn
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by merlinn
Here is a shot of my Jeep with a Full Traction Premium Plus lift and AEV front and rear bumpers. The front bumper has a Warn 9500 winch in it. If you notice it's pretty level front to rear.

Hope this helps.

Merlinn
Uh..I think the point of this thread was to determine rear end sag...when the front is not affected.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Well you now know the rear bumper and tire carrier is 100 lbs, either take off the rear bumper open tailgate set about 100 lbs towards the rear and you have a good representation of what you will end up with. I do not recall the weight of the stock rear bumper but it was pretty light, maybe 15 lbs. So with the bumper in place 80-90 should get you close.

Merlinn
Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by awesomo
Uh..I think the point of this thread was to determine rear end sag...when the front is not affected.
he said rear end sag....
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys, you're great!

I bet that 155 pounds is packed total shipping weight then (or that's what they're charging for anyway).

I'll have one of my wife's kids that weighs closest to 90 pounds (LOL) sit in the rear by the tailgate and measure before and after height changes at the rear hitch. Hey, I believe in scientic work!

Again, thanks for everyone's input...! Fred
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

The weight of the rear bumper alone is 56lbs, 94lbs if you add water (see attachment). Not sure exactly how much the rear carrier is, but Dave from Northridge had me add another .5" to my Teraflex coils in the rear and am right at where I was before the added weight.

http://www .aev-conversions.com/products/jk_rear_bumper/design/AEV_rear_bumper.pdf

Quick Reply: AEV rear bumper and spare tire carrier