Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV, RE, or Teraflex???

Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you are looking at spending that much I would go with off road evolutions 4" double D long arm http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...EVO-DD-LONGARM

Or the Rock Krawler 5.5 x factor long arm.

Both these kits are about the same price as the re, the evo includes shocks which in the end makes it a bit cheaper.
You will still need to add front and rear driveshafts to both kits at some point.
Thanks but are these kits good on road?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe7
I'm looking at the 4.5" extreme duty RE lift. Im new to all this and what do you think about this lift?
i like to flex my suspension and so, i am no fan of radius arms. this kit has them up front and in the rear and, if you do a little research, you will find that they are notorious for having blown out bushings and in a lot of cases, after going out on one wheeling trip. sure, you can force radius arm to flex but, it comes at the price of trashed bushings.

Thanks but are these kits good on road?
i can't speak for the RK lift but, i am running the off road evolution long arm kit now and yeah, it is outstanding ON ROAD. in fact, you see the most benefits from a long arm kit on road and this would even apply to the one you're looking at.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

i like to flex my suspension and so, i am no fan of radius arms. this kit has them up front and in the rear and, if you do a little research, you will find that they are notorious for having blown out bushings and in a lot of cases, after going out on one wheeling trip. sure, you can force radius arm to flex but, it comes at the price of trashed bushings.

i can't speak for the RK lift but, i am running the off road evolution long arm kit now and yeah, it is outstanding ON ROAD. in fact, you see the most benefits from a long arm kit on road and this would even apply to the one you're looking at.
Great!! I will have to look into off road evolution! I have looked at them a little... They are quite pricy but you get what you pay for. Will they fit 37" toyos and is the lift true to it's size!! Thanks and sorry for all the questions... I'm still learning
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Great!! I will have to look into off road evolution! I have looked at them a little... They are quite pricy but you get what you pay for. Will they fit 37" toyos and is the lift true to it's size!! Thanks and sorry for all the questions... I'm still learning
Yes the EVO DoubleD Long Arm will clear a 37" tire.

True to its size is really impossible to answer because there really is not standard on how to measure lift height. Our 4" springs are 4" of lift on a stock 4Door JK (2 Doors can expect to see about a 3/4" higher lift).

Our goal was to give the most comfortable riding spring possible on and off road and we really believe we accomplished that. Then small changes in lift height (after adding aftermarket bumpers, winches, racks etc) can be adjusted for if you wanted by adding some small coil spacers to get it back up to 4" later.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any specific questions.

Andrew
EVO MFG
714-879-8913

Last edited by Andrew@EVOMFG; 08-30-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

I chose the AEV 3 1/2" premium lift package because the final result was a ride quality ON THE ROAD far surpassing stock quality. My rig with this lift has done Moab, Harlan, Cove, etc demonstrating good flex and strength of components. now to be fair, I chose 3 1/2" because I desire lowest cg possible and AEV even said the 3 1/2 was better than their 4 1/2. I trimmed rocker panels, put on TeraFlex adjustable control arms and woods drive shafts. The "premium" AEV package includes high steer bracket up front and high position drag link mounts to maintain correct geometry a procal module and brake line brackets, etc. My 37" mtr's with AEV Pintler beadlocks have ran perfect without wheel spacers and never have had a "death wobble" experience. I do run 5.13 gears. those 37's would be a dawg to turn with 3.21 or 3.73's.

Guys will say "spend your $$ once" meaning, do it right the first time. I DID NOT follow that advice and budget this budget that just don't cut it.

All the above mentioned mfgr are great and make great product. My advice is do it "right". Doing this homework will teach you that it's not just some springs and shocks. best wishes, looking forward to seeing your build.

Last edited by jctnt1; 08-30-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I started out with a long arm RE, it had bushing issues as mentioned

Needless to say, RE has been replaced with an equivalent TF, speed bumps and Fox 2.5's not to mention a few other upgrades.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

I inherited a 4.5" AEV lift when I bought my JK about 8 months ago. It is not a daily driver (although it does drive very well on the road). I am more interested in offroad performance as I wheel it very hard. It's not my intention to badmouth AEV, but I will be replacing the AEV with a long arm system from either Full Traction or Offroad Evolution as soon as I break or bend a couple more of the AEV brackets/parts.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi

If I had a chance to build mine all over again I would go EVO LA.

I still will but just need to money up.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

just so that it's clear, at 4" of lift or more, there really is NO comparison between a good long arm kit and a bunch of relocation brackets - ON ROAD or off. sure, a long arm kit is more expensive but then, you are getting so much more than just some over priced brackets that relocate your factory suspension components.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
bkw
JK Freak

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go rock krawler. I'm currently running a franken 4" tera/rk/bilstein setup, but as I keep replacing components, I see that I keep leaning towards the RK stuff. Hindsight tells me that I should've gone RK from the beginning.

But since RK isn't on your list, the 4" tf kit is a very good lift and it'll save you enough greenbacks to replace the driveshafts too.

Last edited by bkw; 08-31-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: AEV, RE, or Teraflex???