Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV, RE, or Teraflex???

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV, RE, or Teraflex???

Im looking for a good 4-5 inch lift and I'm stuck between these three. I've read all reviews and the specs of these lifts and still can't decide. This is my DD, so most of my use is on road but I do occasionally go off road. So I would like a smooth but dependable ride and would like to hear you guys opinions!! Also I'm gonna get 37" toyos and would they go well with these? Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe7
Im looking for a good 4-5 inch lift and I'm stuck between these three. I've read all reviews and the specs of these lifts and still can't decide. This is my DD, so most of my use is on road but I do occasionally go off road. So I would like a smooth but dependable ride and would like to hear you guys opinions!! Also I'm gonna get 37" toyos and would they go well with these? Thanks
Something to think about is that TeraFlex offers over 50+ kits just for a JK. TeraFlex doesn't just have 3-5 kits, TeraFlex has everything from a leveling kit to a 6" LA kit.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

I went with the AEV 4.5 lift for a couple reasons. I'm gonna lay it down, I'm a college student and the daily driving out-weighed the extreme wheeling. Hopefully that doesn't sound confusing. Jumping up to 37's is going to cost quite a bit. For me just the lift and tires ran me roughly $3100 then I had to get wheel spacers to clear the 37's and then factor in another $700 for the install price and it gets expensive pretty dam quick but the result and ride is SO dam worth it. This is what you'll end up with Good luck on your choices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	204070
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

AEV 4.5" as well. Great on road, better than stock ride and very capable Offroad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1162494617.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	204071   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-915350151.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	204072  
Old 08-29-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RE 3.5" and mine sits higher than my 2 buddies with JKu's with 4" Teraflex lifts..All of them are good choices..Ours ride really good and good flex off road..I know the Teraflex ride nice as well. I don't know anybody with an AEV but I think it would be a nice ride also. Ours is a daily driver
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...uspension-lift.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My vote goes to teraflex and northridge 4x4. Customer service is top notch with both companies. All my jeeps will be sportin teraflex parts bought at northridge from now on. I'm buying my son a 2 door and it will be kitted out with teraflex for sure.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your not looking to flex it out a lot on the trail just grab a 2.5" lift w/ new shocks, 1" body lift, and trim the fenders. Give you a better ride and you wont have to change a bunch of other parts.

Easy to install too so you dont have to waste $600-$800 on install
Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, there are lots of ways to get you up on 37's and for a lot less than a kit that basically consists of springs and a set of relocation brackets. 4" or more is a lot of lift and, if you really want to go that high, i would personally recommend a kit that actually gives you new and heavy duty adjustable control arms and track bars as they will allow you to dial in your suspension which will ultimately give you a better ride ON PAVEMENT. also, if you have a 2-door, you need to keep in mind that at this height, you will need to replace your rear drive shaft with a u-joint style one sooner than later and, you will definitely need a set of adjustable rear upper control arms to do this. there are no cheap relocation brackets that will allow you to do this. also, if you have an automatic, you will want a new front shaft as well as the factory one is too big in diameter and will make contact with the lip of you tranny pan and this will cause it to tear its boot.

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-30-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
as mentioned, there are lots of ways to get you up on 37's and for a lot less than a kit that basically consists of springs and a set of relocation brackets. 4" or more is a lot of lift and, if you really want to go that high, i would personally recommend a kit that actually gives you new and heavy duty adjustable control arms and track bars as they will allow you to dial in your suspension which will ultimately give you a better ride ON PAVEMENT. also, if you have a 2-door, you need to keep in mind that at this height, you will need to replace your rear drive shaft with a u-joint style one sooner than later and, you will definitely need a set of adjustable rear upper control arms to do this. there are no cheap relocation brackets that will allow you to do this. also, if you have an automatic, you will want a new front shaft as well as the factory one is too big in diameter and will make contact with the lip of you tranny pan and this will cause it to tear its boot.
I'm looking at the 4.5" extreme duty RE lift. Im new to all this and what do you think about this lift?

Quick Reply: AEV, RE, or Teraflex???