Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Procal Question

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this tonight and can definitely tell the difference! Haven't been able to get it up to speed on the highway, but from a dead stop it feels much more responsive. Thank you so much for the heads up on this one.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Just did it , had dead pedal twice , figured it out and it does have an improvement. Thanks for this tip.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The procal can turn off your speedo and tac too! Yes it is highly illegal, but there is a glitch to turn those all off too. Im guessing some of you have already figured that out too. Nothing like driving on a 500+ road trip and it doesnt tac one mile
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jason0341
Can you tell the difference in yours, no more lag between depressing and moving? On interstate I can tell a substantial difference in acceleration on mine.

Sent from my Supersonic EVO 4Gees!
All I've done is drive it to work this morning. That's all in-town driving but it does seem more responsive.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Did it last night and its a huge improvement to say the least. I too had to have the key in the off position for it to work.
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far, as random as it is, it appears that the key needs to be in the ON position, unless you are from Louisiana, in which case it needs to be on the ACC/OFF position. It is really quite strange.....
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be because we are back asswards down here! I'm going to try and do it with the key in the On position today an see hi that goes.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jason0341
Must be because we are back asswards down here! I'm going to try and do it with the key in the On position today an see hi that goes.

Just to clarify: Key OFF, insert ProCal. Turn key to ON to do the reprogramming steps. Horn will honk twice when your programming complete. Then turn key OFF and remove ProCal.

Good luck. I had a helluva time getting it. I'd been into the beer pretty good by the time I attempted it! That's why I didn't drive it til this morning.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can confirm it works with the key in the ON position. Yesterday I could only get it to work in the key Off spot. Tried today and finally got it after a dozen or so attempts. Started to panic thinking I messed I up and it wouldn't even allow me to put everything back to stock. I actually think it's a better improvement from what I had yesterday.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Response from AEV - Please Read!

So I emailed AEV about this thread and topic as I don't believe that any gains are possible from reprogramming the pedal and TB. Here is the email from me and AEV:

SENT TO: TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Hello, I have a question about my Procal. Recently on the JK forms a topic came up about the throttle pairing function on the Procal. People are using it to recalibrate their STOCK pedal and throttle control and reporting back good results with a more responsive feel to the Jeep. Is this ok to do with a STOCK never changed pedal and TB? I thought this was for when you changed out the TB or more so when installing a new engine like in a Hemi conversion. Thanks for your time!

Mike

Jordan from AEV's Response:

Mike, you're correct, this is not needed.

If there was a free lunch, the procal would offer it. I get quite a few calls from people who attempt pedal programming only to not understand the directions, leaving them with a Jeep that has no working gas pedal. This is usually over a weekend and I get a bunch of progressively more angry voice-mails on Monday. The Pedal Pairing/Learning function of the procal is ONLY for AEV JK HEMI CONVERSIONS. Or in the extremely rare case you have replaced the PCM or Pedal without the dealer's assistance.

If you have a factory paired PCM and Pedal, the procal will do nothing for you. Any gains, changes, or solved issues are 100% completely imaginary. There is no possible gain from reprogramming the pedal. I'm trying to leave no room for uncertain interpretation here

The Pairing/Learning function is only for start and stop maximums. For example, the pedal only correctly knows it's 0-100% range only when it knows where 0 and 100 are. Each pcm and pedal are made with resistors that vary in tolerance. The pedal function only serves to show your PCM exactly how much variance there is between all the resistors. Without changing the potentiometers (variable resistors) or pcm on-board resistors on it's analog to digital circuit (ie: replacing a pedal or pcm) there is NO NEED to run this routine. The pedal can only be programmed Correctly or Incorrectly, there is no margin of performance at all. If your Jeep's pedal functions from 0% to 100% pressed without going into limp-in mode and throwing errors, there is no benefit to running this routine.

Now, I've had a lot of people suggest that the system be "fooled" into being programmed "short" so that the pedal never made it to 0% instead would hover around 10% always. This can not work, the system will subject it's own 0% value in and when you let off the pedal it will be at a -10% error value. "Short" programming the pedal will lead to DTC codes as well as a non-functioning pedal. Same goes for trying to over-travel the resistance output, that's worse by only leaving you with a 0-90% pedal value. It's all a bad idea.

As an aside, the thottle body is not part of this system. That has it's own learn routine and is only connected except digitally to the pedal through the PCM's software. You could replace the TB and never need to run the Procal's throttle routine.

In short.... No, do not attempt. No possible gains. Lots of technical support for me if you have a non-functioning pedal. Lots of aggravation for you if you're pedal doesn't work in your daily driver. No Possible Gains (again). Thank you for asking me about it directly though, any questions you have that even slightly involve the Procal I would be happy to answer always.

Thanks again,
Jordan Harriton - Lead Procal Development Engineer

ps> Feel free to repost any portion of this or comment yourself on the forums. The more people that understand this is not a performance feature the better. Thanks and have a great day.

Quick Reply: AEV Procal Question