Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Procal Question

Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is interesting...

so basically this is reprogramming the PCM, telling it when there is NO throttle and when there is FULL throttle. What if for the full throttle position, you stopped at 3/4 of the way down (added a block of wood or something to limit the pedal's travel)...

Wouldn't this increase throttle response by roughly 25%??? Would this affect fuel consumption? auto shift points? electronic stability control?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The primary difference I noticed is that the lag between depressing the peddle and the increase in RPMs has been eliminated. The fact that this appears to be an unintended side effect of resynching the pedal to the PCM also explains why it is not reffered to as a means of improving the throttle response in the manual. If it has had an effect on my shift points, it has been to the good, if anything. Accelerating on the interstate seems to be smoother now than before.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by axelaR
so basically this is reprogramming the PCM, telling it when there is NO throttle and when there is FULL throttle. What if for the full throttle position, you stopped at 3/4 of the way down (added a block of wood or something to limit the pedal's travel)...

Wouldn't this increase throttle response by roughly 25%??? Would this affect fuel consumption? auto shift points? electronic stability control?
I think you may be on to something, I would think it would indeed increase throttle response, however you may also end up with a fair amount of "dead pedal" once you passed the spot the PCM thinks is full throttle.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't know except to say that the throttle response is much better. As for what your saying about tweaking it i guess you could try but my guess is that if you dont follow the process you will have a dead pedal. Guess it can't hurt. If you try it let everyone know the results
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main differnece is that there is no longer any lag between pushing the pedal and the Jeep moving.

When we first got the 4DR my wife was driving it and complaining how she was depressing the pedal but it wasn't going anywhere. Ran the Procal yesterday and let her drive it around today and she spun the tires easily. She said, "It actually moves when I depress the pedal now".
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Just a couple of things.

My ETC light was flashing when the key was in the ACC position, however you can't do the programming there. It must be ON.

You only have 3-4 seconds to complete the programming after step 2 above.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tslewisz
Just a couple of things.

My ETC light was flashing when the key was in the ACC position, however you can't do the programming there. It must be ON.

So you got yours to work with the key in the ON position? Mine only worked in the acc off position. Did your horn honk once or twice once you completed the cycle?

Sent from my Supersonic EVO 4Gees!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a couple of things.

Yea, that's odd, that's what the manual says to do, however neither Jason nor myself could get it to work that way. We both had success with the key in the ACC/OFF position though. I should have said ACC/OFF rather than off in my previous post, I will edit it accordingly.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jason0341

So you got yours to work with the key in the ON position? Mine only worked in the acc off position. Did your horn honk once or twice once you completed the cycle?

It honked twice, just like all other reprogramming.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

It honked twice, just like all other reprogramming.
Can you tell the difference in yours, no more lag between depressing and moving? On interstate I can tell a substantial difference in acceleration on mine.

Quick Reply: AEV Procal Question