Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Pro Cal or Superchip Flashpaq?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Pro Cal or Superchip Flashpaq?

Ok, so I will be doing a bunch of mods in about a month, including 35" tires. Sorry if this has already been asked, but I have a 09 2DR Rubi 6 speed and I've been looking at the Pro Cal or Superchip flashpaq to address necessary stuff (speedo/TPMS/Gear ratio). The Pro cal allows you to get your steering dead on center, the Flashpaq doesnt. The Flashpaq has some nice features over the Pro Cal, like 4HI locker ability, throttle response in 4Low, real time sensor data, and of course the tuning.

Questions are:

-Is the flashpaq worth the extra money, especially with the 6speed (i can see greater advantages with the auto for shift point adj)?
-I like the 4HI locker ability, is there another easier/cheaper way to get that?
-Is it necessary to do the dead center steering adjustment? Can I just get this done at a dealership if I had a problem. Or maybe have someone with a procal in the area reset theirs, let me adjust my steering, reset it, and then they can have it back!?

Thanks guys

-czar

Click image for larger version

Name:	154_0911+programmer_shootout+chart.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	319034
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Default Live and in person!

Have you considered the Superchips VIVID LINQ? I don't have one. I don't even have a 6 speed but if I did, I think the real-time information displayed on your Android would teach you the best shift points for different driving conditions.

I believe although smart phone interfacing is still in the infant stage, it is the future. Eventually a flat-screen smart dashboard will be standard equipment.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you considered the Hypertech Max Energy?

I got an aboslute steal on ebay and i've been thoroughly impressed.

Throttle repsonse is 100%'s better, I completely removed my TPMS light on the dash, you can adjust throttle in 4LO as well, fan temp, etc. Lots of good features, I feel the Hypertech has been overlooked by most JK owners.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the ProCal on my '07 6-speed Rubi. Biggest things I wanted were resetting the speedo and centering the steering wheel. Fairly inexpensive and did the job for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

The main difference between the two is that the Superchips will give an increase in performance. Even with the 6 speed you still get the advanced timing of the tunes which will help, not to mention all the other features the procal doesnt have
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

I'm leaning towards a performance tuner (ill have to look at hypertech, i think they have updated theirs). Just want to make sure that the benifits will be worth the cost (twice that of the pro cal). My main issue is centering the steering perfectly. For those of you who haven't used the pro cal, did you have a hard time centering/was your esp light coming on ever? I heard if it was an issue, the dealership has the ability to center it?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by czar87
I'm leaning towards a performance tuner (ill have to look at hypertech, i think they have updated theirs). Just want to make sure that the benifits will be worth the cost (twice that of the pro cal). My main issue is centering the steering perfectly. For those of you who haven't used the pro cal, did you have a hard time centering/was your esp light coming on ever? I heard if it was an issue, the dealership has the ability to center it?
I did this by myself when I did my lift 10 days ago, you simply adjust the drag link and center the wheel. Trial and error to get it spot on, took me about 15 minutes and 3 test drives before I was happy. right after doing the lift my ESP was on, after adjusting it's gone.

See this link.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by p1llar
I did this by myself when I did my lift 10 days ago, you simply adjust the drag link and center the wheel. Trial and error to get it spot on, took me about 15 minutes and 3 test drives before I was happy. right after doing the lift my ESP was on, after adjusting it's gone.

See this link.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
thanks, that makes me feel better, im fine with some trial and error. just wasnt sure how finicky the steering sensor and the esp would be.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about a Bully Dog? Got mine about a month ago for 350 bucks delivered from Northridge :-)
It does all of the above and then some!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is either one better at changing the shift points on an auto tranny when upgrading to 35's?

Quick Reply: AEV Pro Cal or Superchip Flashpaq?