Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aev pro cal recalibration tool question

Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aev pro cal recalibration tool question

hey,

I know i can use this tool to raise the threshold at which the light on the dash comes on indicating low tire pressure for use while airing down offroad, but can i use it to turn the system off? (maybe by setting the pressure to zero)
I am going to buy it anyway to recalibrate the speedo for 35s, but my tpms light aggravates me sometimes and I think i just screwed up one the sensors anyway by trying to add dyna beads through the valve stem.

Heads up: on the other tire i figured out a way to add the beads through the stem. 1. Tie dental floss to the stem. Tie other end around your index finger so the valve stem will not fall into tire like it did on my other tire. 2. Loosen the lock nut on the valve stem and remove 3. Lower stem into tire. 4. add beads into hole. 5. Pull valve stem back into place with floss. 6. Tighten lock nut. Also i bought the small beads and the filtered valves aRE NoT WOrking with the factory stems so mine will probably get clogged. You should get the larger beads for large mud tires and add them the way I described. Now you will not have to use the filtered stems or break down the tire at your local shop and listen to them tell you that you can't balance a mud tire.

Last edited by Lcod; 12-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, you can set the TPMS at zero with the ProCal...dandy little tool.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

i have a question for you. what little beads are you adding to the tire? mabey i am just a little slow but what are they. i asume they balance the tire but never heard of it.
thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by codysanders
i have a question for you. what little beads are you adding to the tire? mabey i am just a little slow but what are they. i asume they balance the tire but never heard of it.
thanks
Search on tire balance beads, or anything similar. Here is the sales blurb from one mfg:

Dyna Beads offers Tire Balancing Solutions

Wheel weights have been around for many years, but are no longer the only solution for trucks, commercial vehicles, trailers, aircraft and motorcycles. We want you to get the highest possible tire mileage by using our products.

The way we do this is by offering a Dynamic Balancing Solution, a high-density ceramic bead that, when easily installed, continuously balances your tires as you drive. The amount of material will distribute itself in weight and position dependent on the balance requirements of the individual tire.

The result is a smooth, vibration-free ride, derived from our balancing media that is always repositioning itself as the tire wears. If you own a pickup truck, commercial truck, motorhome, RV, tractor trailer, motorcycle, or similar vehicle, and want to get rid of those wheel vibration and tire cupping problems, then you need to move up to Dyna Beads®!

Patents pending
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by codysanders
thanks
yeah they are dyna beads from innovative balancing. I will let you know how they work on 35X12.50 17 mud grapplers in a couple of days. I used 10 oz. and added using my method above. I will have to get the other tire fixed tomorrow with another tpms sensor and after that we will see if the beads really work. These tires have been perfectly balanced before with stick on weights(and very little weight at that!) but the balance does not last but a couple of thousand miles and then I am wobbling all over the road.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

well please do let me know. sounds like there are mixed reviews though. i have a set of new km2's and i am having a horible time with. this is the first tire i have ever had a balancing issue with. ran many 35 + tires (at least a dozen sets) and i have a vibe at about 60 to 70 mph with this set. i may try the air soft pellets since i have beadlocks and just dump in about 10 oz of them.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Yes, the ProCal can be used to turn off the TPMS. Check out the Tuner Shootout from JP Mag. jpmagazine.com/techarticles/engine/154_0911_jeep_jk_wrangler_tuner_shootout/index.html

On the Dynabeads; I just purchased them for my 35x12.5R15 MTRw/K. After talking with a rep from Innovative Balancing, they suggested 8oz./tire of the larger off-road beads. The tires should be here tomorrow and I hope to have them mounted next week. I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

The procal is a great little unit for the money. I love mine...only really got it to recalibrate the speedo because I don't have TPMS on my 07, but its very fast and easy. If I make the jump up to 37s in the future, I may go with the Superchips, but for right now the Procal was perfect for my uses. Its a simple straightforward little unit and does the job no problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

hey guys,

Two things to report on since my original message.

Dynabeads are the real deal! Now I say that with only two days of driving back and forth to work 15miles each way. my 35X1250 nitto mud graps balanced fairly easy at the tire shop before I tried the beads, so some of you guys out there may not have as good of luck, but I am telling you it is worth a try. My tires are perfectly balanced at all speeds with no stick on weights at all, just the beads (ten oz. per tire in the front two tires only, I have never really worried about the back tires). I used the small beads through the stem, so you may get even better results out of the larger "mud tire beads" also sold on this website. Larry
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

also,

I was also asking about a way to turn off my tpms system. Apparently the Procal apparatus will do this (thanks for the reply). However, turns out when i tried to add dyna beads through the valve stem on my first tire, I clogged up the sensor so I had to use my spare until I could get that tire to the shop to be broken down and the beads out of the sensor.

1. With the spare (identical to the other 3 tires/rims except no sensor) on and the other tire/rim with sensor at the shop (nowhere around my jeep) here is what happened:
When you turn the key over the tpms sensor lights up and stays on until you drive around for a few seconds then it goes off and stays off.
2. So now I am driving around with 3 sensors and no tpms light (just a few seconds at start up). So this is a quick remedy for those who do not want tpms on. I guess it reads a fault due to only 3 sensors active, then after a few seconds shuts itself down and light goes off.

Quick Reply: aev pro cal recalibration tool question