Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: AEX Explained Thread
Good information to Know
85.71%
I dont care how it works
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

AEV Pro Cal Explained

Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AEV Pro Cal Explained

For those of you that have modified their JK and have used this Tool here is a basic breakdown of the module. Hopefully this will not go over your heads I will try to Keep it simple.

AEV Pro Cal Explained

AEV Pro Cal is a simple but effective tool designed in a pure electronic no software needed design. This is attained by utilizing the ODB port that is directly connected to the ECU of the Jeep.

The design is simple. By using DIP switches they are applying a binary 1 or 0 into the system

Since the first 3 DIP switches determine the mode there are only 8 possibilities or options.
Here is the binary layout of the AEV Pro Cal for the first 3 DIP switches only

000 Restore
001 Tire Sizes 24" - 38"
010 Tire Sizes 39"- 54"
011 Axle Ratio
100 Engine Funtions
101 Options Mode
110 Runtime Functions
111 Low Tire Pressure Threshold

The Remaining 6 Dip switches determine the value of each mode by again adding a 0 or a 1 to the binary number that is transmitted to the ECU of the Jeep. Therefore there are 64 possibilities per mode that can be inputed.

Here is an example of the Binary code that Represents the One Touch Lane change in the Off setting.

101 Options Mode
00 One Touch Lane change
0000 OFF

Here is the Binary code that the ECU would read

In the Decimal system this Value is 140

The AEV module works off a 9 DIP switch system using a binary code If you take the 8 modes and 64 Possible values. There are 512 total decimal numbers that can be generated by this device.

Here is the Math 8X64=512 bits

We generally do not use bits in our everyday life so here is another conversion there are 8 bits in a byte so take 512 a divide by 8

512 / 8 = 64 bytes

Most don't even know how much a byte is so here is another conversion there are 1024 bytes in a Kilobyte so take 64 and divide by 1024

64 / 1024 = .0625 Kilobyte or .06K

Hopefully this was not too much of a bore. But I thought it was cool that AEV kept it simple instead of making a tool that had fancy LCD screens, software/Firmware that would jack the price through the roof. They Kept it simple old school and to the point.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-23-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo in last paragraph
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

I have not opened my Pro Cal up to view the actual digital circuit design. But I'm assuming there is a secondary power supply like a watch battery to store your Jeeps VIN in a memory chip. Also I would guess that there is at least 2 or 3 CMOS chips inside with various " AND/OR" and "NAND" digital logic gates to send back to the Jeeps ECU depending on the input.

If anyone has any input on this or if I have made any mistakes please post your opinions.
I only completed 2 years of Digital engineering before I dropped out and Joined the Marines to work on helicopters so any critique would be welcomed.

Sorry about the Poll Typo I don't know how to change it. Its Supposed to be "AEV Thread Explanation" If anyone knows how to edit that let me know and I will change it. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM
KFH
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question, if you go from the stock tires Dia 31.8 to a Pitt Bull Growler 35 12.5 hat measures 35.2 then how do tell the computer though the procall the difference in tire Dia? Is there only one option for tires up to 38 inches in Dia and no recal is necessary?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Ok I'm going to give you the code to put in the AEV Pro Cal to set the tires to the desired height.
Just so you know it only will program to the closest quarter inch so that is the limit of the device.

Just remember a switch Down = 0
A switch up represents = 1

001 < This will get you into the tire cal mode for your size

1011 < This is the result of the formula given by AEV 35.25-24= 11.25 Find 11 on the chart

10 < This represents a quarter of an inch in binary for the AEV module

So this Sequence would be for 35.25" measured tires

This represents the binary code that will be transmitted to the ECU
This is what you need to set the AEV Pro Cal to Run 35.25" Measured tires

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-23-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it this way. The Pro Cal is so easy, my 8 yo daughter can program my Jeep with it. The directions ate almost too easy. To the point you kind of ask yourself "does this thing really work?". Just read the directions and measure your wheel, from the center to the ground and double it for your actual tire size. You need to factor in sidewall compression as that will reflect your true radius.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a quick question about the procal, I've moved to 35's and I need something to set my tire size and eventually gear ratios as well.

Anyway, the AEV site says this is a feature of the procal: "Optimize ESP performance"

Is there any actual setting to "optimize" the ESP, or is that just the result of centering the steering wheel and calibrating the speedo? I'm getting my ESP to go off when turning around bends and such, and would like to fix it.

However, I'm looking at the aeroforce interceptor (which can also adjust tire size, gear ratios, etc), and would like to go that route because it would also monitor the transmission temp and I'd like to be able to see my instantaneous gas mileage.

So if the AEV procal only adjusts ESP performance based on tire size and steering wheel center, then I'd rather opt for the aeroforce to kill 2 birds with one stone, but I don't want to find out that I need the procal in the end after spending the money on the gauge.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Christarp
I have a quick question about the procal, I've moved to 35's and I need something to set my tire size and eventually gear ratios as well.

Anyway, the AEV site says this is a feature of the procal: "Optimize ESP performance"

Is there any actual setting to "optimize" the ESP, or is that just the result of centering the steering wheel and calibrating the speedo? I'm getting my ESP to go off when turning around bends and such, and would like to fix it.

However, I'm looking at the aeroforce interceptor (which can also adjust tire size, gear ratios, etc), and would like to go that route because it would also monitor the transmission temp and I'd like to be able to see my instantaneous gas mileage.

So if the AEV procal only adjusts ESP performance based on tire size and steering wheel center, then I'd rather opt for the aeroforce to kill 2 birds with one stone, but I don't want to find out that I need the procal in the end after spending the money on the gauge.
Your right. It only optimizes ESP Trough Tire Diameter, Steering and Gear ratio. It only lets the computer know that the values have changed so the actual program can adjust the ESP parameters automatically. There is no actual way to input ESP values via the AEV Pro Cal module. To be honest it would be a nightmare to input that many variables into the system.

The Miles till empty counter would also be adjusted as well as the MPG indicator by using the AEV module another good reason to get it.

The AEV module is a binary Input only device it cannot track fluid temps and other things because it is a pure electronic device with no screens or readout capabilities.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-23-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK

Your right. It only optimizes ESP Trough Tire Diameter, Steering and Gear ratio. It only lets the computer know that the values have changed so the actual program can adjust the ESP parameters automatically. There is no actual way to input ESP values via the AEV Pro Cal module. To be honest it would be a nightmare to input that many variables into the system.

The Miles till empty counter would also be adjusted as well as the MPG indicator by using the AEV module another good reason to get it.

The AEV module is a binary Input only device it cannot track fluid temps and other things because it is a pure electronic device with no screens or readout capabilities.
What he said.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

AEV provides an easy quick reference guide on how to set all the DIP switches. For the tire portion your going to have to do a simple subtraction problem to get the value for the tire Measurements. Again it can only calibrate to the closest .25 inch so if your in between that your going to have to round up or down. I also would recommend every oil change to remeasure the diameter of the tires and Recalibrate the ECU.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you!

Your posts are most helpful for this old brain. I think the purchase of a procal is the first thing on my list. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: AEV Pro Cal Explained