Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Pintler Wheels - Cracking

Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steel wheels, the only way to roll dirt my friends. AEV is great, but alloys and aluminum is for street rides.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drivingfool
steel wheels, the only way to roll dirt my friends. AEV is great, but alloys and aluminum is for street rides.
Yeah, that is my thought. I like the rims and have thought about getting some and love that company but...I like Steelies. Sure it adds weight but let's face it, it is a Jeep not a Prius.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drivingfool
been wheeling on some of the toughest trails in Colorado for years now on alloys and aluminum with zero issues. Steels are stronger of course but to say anything else is just for street rides is incorrect.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just had to revisit this page. To double check what the story was. I feel this issue was resolved and there are a set of pintler wheels going my my jku.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default aev pintlers cracked

Well , looks like the last 2 of my original 5 pintlers have cracked........
I noticed my two rear tires were low and started checking for nails or screws......... or something in them...
nothing in the tires , so I happen to think about the cracks in the others.
Checked that out.... and low and behold , both are cracked. kinda weird having two at the same time. Because the others were at different times. Still , no off roading , just old gravel roads, nothing hardly even worth using 4 wheel drive.
I guess I'll call Mike again and see what he says.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

I never did get the pintlers. I am running pro comp rockwells....Its a design flaw in the pintler design. I would use the salta or savegre but not the pintler.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
I never did get the pintlers. I am running pro comp rockwells....Its a design flaw in the pintler design. I would use the salta or savegre but not the pintler.
I really like the pintler. I don't really want to change wheels , but it looks like I might have to. I haven't called Mike yet, I am going to wait and see what he says.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IDiggs9
Well , looks like the last 2 of my original 5 pintlers have cracked........
I noticed my two rear tires were low and started checking for nails or screws......... or something in them...
nothing in the tires , so I happen to think about the cracks in the others.
Checked that out.... and low and behold , both are cracked. kinda weird having two at the same time. Because the others were at different times. Still , no off roading , just old gravel roads, nothing hardly even worth using 4 wheel drive.
I guess I'll call Mike again and see what he says.
Originally Posted by IDiggs9
I really like the pintler. I don't really want to change wheels , but it looks like I might have to. I haven't called Mike yet, I am going to wait and see what he says.
AEV will take care of you as I'm sure they have on your first 3 cracked wheels. I also have two remaining wheels yet to crack from my original 5 Pintlers as well. AEV (Mike R.) has taken care of this issue for me to date and I don't expect any different when my final 2 wheels eventually develop the crack. My wheels were purchased way back in '08 and I think it was just a bad batch of manufacturing at the time and I'm sure the manufacturing issue has been resolved since. I've considered changing out my wheels several times as well but there isn't another wheel on the market I really care for. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

totally. AEV WILL replace your wheels. I just think about driving on the road, having a wheel fail more than the little crack, at high speed with my family aboard. That takes precedence to visual appeal to me.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default AEV Customer Service

I talked to the guys at AEV yesterday. Gave them the spill about the wheels. I talked to a guy named Richard, he ask me a couple questions, ask me to send him a couple pictures and he looked at the pics and then told me AEV Will replace them . No Problem . I really didn't expect anything else. This will be the complete set over a 5 year period. Each time I called , they were the same way , very EASY to deal with , and anxious to help me out.
The folks at AEV are a Class Act !!! Thanks guys . Click image for larger version

Name:	offrdherotop.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	639548

Quick Reply: AEV Pintler Wheels - Cracking