Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Pintler Wheels - Cracking

Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My finish is cracking with very few kms on them. They were installed by me carefully ensuring the proper torque settings. I invested much time and money putting these wheels together properly only to be very diappointed that they cracked around the beadlock. I have now e-mailed them twice and am going to phone tomorrow because waiting more then a few days for a response is too long.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

BUMP!

This happened to me as well!!! TPMS kept going off, finally got a tub to sink the wheel and tire into, and there it was. Cracked where the spoke and rim connect.

Took it to Screamin Lizard and Gerry swapped it out, no questions asked. He's also going to get me 4 more of the "newer batch".

Thanks Gerry.

Thanks SLC.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default That ain't good...

Can one of you guys post a pic of this? I threw a TPMS sensor last week. I checked the air in my tires, and they were all right @ 34lbs. The TPMS has not been back on since. Strange.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chance
Great News! I just spoke with Mike Reckling at AEV and he is sending me 5 new wheels Fed Ex today! Said he wanted to ease my mind with any concern on the other wheels. You can't beat customer support like that!
Makes me want to buy from AEV for my next wheel purchase!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by K9Jeeper
Makes me want to buy from AEV for my next wheel purchase!
Heard that! Sounds like outstanding customer service. But for the price, I wouldn't expect any less. Glad you're getting squared away proper
Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear they are taking care of you... Thats why I keep my made-in-China factory 17's.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reviving this thread.

I had one crack on me recently - there were cracks where 3 of the spokes met the outer wheel. As it turns out, my defective wheel was manufactured in June of 2007 - Although I am not the original purchaser, there is no coverage for my particular wheel failing. From what I understood - after talking with Mike - they had a problem with their first batch of wheels - I'm guessing that this is likely a part of that first batch. I did purchase a new wheel from Mike, and all seems to be well. I checked the other 4 wheels on my JK, and they each appear to be ok at this time. I hit a pot hole and shortly there-after, the tire started to go soft. I'm guessing that the pressure from the hit caused the wheel to crack.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were these cracks occuring just on the Pintlers? I have a set of the Bridgers, but my Jeep is an 2007, so no TPMS. I guess I need to check and make sure there are no cracks.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

skaggs9573 ,

I can't comment on the other model wheels, just what I have.

The 3 cracks I found were each at the ends of separate spokes of the pintler. No cracks exist where the valve stem is. The cracks were very hard to see, because they were masked in the paint of the wheel. The only way I could see them was after spraying the wheel with soapy water (like you do when looking for a small puncture in a tire). To find the cracks on a dry wheel, the paint is just slightly darker at the cracked areas. Interestingly, the crack in the outer edge of the spoke was deep enough through the structure of the wheel to allow air loss at all 3 locations.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll have to look more closely next time I wash them. Whenever that happens

But seriously mine have been solid so far. I have the silver so no flaking finish. Edges have some battle scars from rocks but otherwise I'm happy so far.

Quick Reply: AEV Pintler Wheels - Cracking