Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV NTH Degree Dualsport SC 3.5" lift versus Teraflex 3" Full 8 Flexarm lift

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
I kind of answered this in my earlier post, but the AEV really isn't comparable in my opinion to the Teraflex or OME LT.

The AEV is designed for street driving and expedition travel that can handle heavier loads.

The heavier loads comment is for the 4 door, not on the 2 door. The 2 dr AEV kit does not come with progressive rate springs.

WOL and I don't always have the same opinion or conclusion, but I agree with him on the premium price of the AEV kit.

When you add up the costs of the components, AEV is much, much higher for what you get.

Springs $300-$400
Shocks. $200-$400
Brakeline brackets instead of brakelines
Control arm brackets instead of control arms
Etc., etc.

...leads to a pretty clear calculation that AEV's margins are higher than the competition.

If you want a kit that is designed for almost all on road, that can handle heavy loads, and that your wife can handle with an emergency maneuver at highway speeds without rolling it, get the AEV.

If you are building for Moab, the Hammers, the Rubicon trail, the Black Hills of South Dakota, the AEV is inferior to the Teraflex or OME LT.

These kits really aren't worth comparing because they were designed for different primary uses.

The real question should be about your intended use, and that should drive the decision.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Good information.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are building a rock crawler and need adjustability for future piece by piece modifications for more challenging trails, go TF.

If you need your jk everyday and take it on road trips on freeways and into the back-country for camping on weekends... AEV AEV AEV!

Also, I am not sure if the TF comes with a programmer for tires, gears & TPMS management but factor that in.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
No. Like I said, AEV is good for a particular use.

That use really doesn't work for what we do as a family.

I want longer travel shocks designed for more articulation and springs that match the new shock dampening qualities.

Suspension spring rate and shock dampening rate, combined with bumpstop lengths represent a formula that works well together or work against each other.

Longer shocks mean replacing the brakeline relocation brackets with extended brakelines. It means the swaybar links and the swaybar link relocation brackets will be too short.

I am looking at a long arm with a 3 link rear suspension design with flex joints.

I'll want hydro assist steering.

The ProCal is only a calibrator, not a tuner. So, it really does nothing to improve performance or fuel economy--other than the ability to modify shift points.

No one is going to buy all the relocation brackets and bumpstops separately. They would want the springs, shocks, and bumpstops to match. I might as well sell the drag link flip and trackbar relocation brackets at the same time because I want something much beefier.

This is what is in the AEV 4.5" kit:

Planman, what are your thoughts about a EMO 2.5" lift with Bilstein shocks as opposed to the TF ong arm and AEV?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man oh man. Another AEV vs ______ thread Personally, I am going to go with the AEV when I do my build. However, that is because it suits my needs as my JK is my dd and will be driven 95% on road. When I do go off road though, I know that it will do just fine for my needs. Planman said it really well in one of his posts - it just depends on your needs. If you are going to do the hardcore trails and lots of rocks, Tera may be your best choice For me, the AEV will do just fine though.

Last edited by bluejk09; 05-18-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srunyon
Thanks for the info, and i think the biggest thing you hit on there were the coils of the AEV and their ability to handle load. Mine's a 2 Dr though. I will have both bumpers replaced with afterstock plus a 35" tire on the back with carrier.....I've seen TF lifts out there with a lot of sag in the back due to the tire. I'm sure there are precautions you can take to get by that....or are there?
The 2dr kit does have progressive rate coils front and rear. I know because they are on my 2dr right now. AEV used to run progressive rate coils front only, but now you will get progressive rate coils front and rear with 2dr kit. Their customer service has been great for me, but I'm lucky to be able to go right to the R&D shop where Kent has treated me very well. If you have questions call Kent Klein @ 406-251-2100 X103. He is very good at answering questions and explaining why they do what they do. I'm pretty cynical and was torn between Teraflex, Full Traction, and AEV. Obviously, I went with AEV for my type of driving and I am pleased with their kit. Read the information on this forum, do your homework, and decide for yourself. Like Eddie wrote it is difficult to get an objective opinion since everyone has their own experience and motivations. All three companies sell great products and as far as I can tell care about their customers being satisfied.

Good luck with your decision!!!!

Last edited by BigSkyJeep; 05-18-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: AEV NTH Degree Dualsport SC 3.5" lift versus Teraflex 3" Full 8 Flexarm lift