Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV NTH Degree Dualsport SC 3.5" lift versus Teraflex 3" Full 8 Flexarm lift

Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
If you have any questions about any TeraFlex products, please give me a call.
Thanks, Joe! I can appreciate the manufacturer offering a hand...nothing like good support!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WCDAVE
Well, I am looking at this too. I have experience with modding suspensions on track cars, but this will be my first foray into 4wheel mods so take my comments with a grain of salt. Here are my observations: The AEV kit does lower the control arm mounting points, but if you look at any long arm kit from the side, they hang down lower still. So I am not sure that it poses that much more of a target. Stuff gets bashed when rock crawling. With a top of the line long-arm kit you could easily roll off of a rock, smash the LCA, slide on up to the mounting point and impact it as well.
honestly, i don't know how you could even compare a kit that lowers your factory short arms with cheap extensions brackets to a top of the line LONG ARM kit. sure, long arms will be a rock target as well BUT, they are heavy duty LONG ARMS that improve your suspension geometry, provide unsurpassed ride and handling and come with joints that provide significantly better bind free flex.

The reason AEV has dropped the mounting points is so that when you hit a bump, the axle only needs to travel up. If the points were not lowered, the axle would have to travel forward on an arc to travel up, thus making the "hit" rougher.
but, you are still using factory short arms with their ridgid bonded rubber bushings and i would argue, LOWERING THEM SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than where a long arm would sit and without any of the additional benefits of heavy duty long arms. if this were a more reasonably priced kit, i might be able to see your point but, for the cost, i just don't see how it's worth it.

Another point about the AEV that seems well thought out is mounting the drag link from the top. The excessive articulation required on the joint to function with a 3"+ lift seems jerry-rigged, but then again, with AEV, you have to drill out the knuckle. Teraflex is nice as well. As a starting point, I don't think you can go wrong either way. For me, I am leaning AEV since my Jeep is 90% if not more on road. If I were lucky enough to get out and off-road twice a month I would feel like I was stealing something.
nothing special about the aev steering setup and if you really wanted it, you could get it separately or get something just like it from off road evolution and for less.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
The AEV progressive rate springs handle heavy loads better. The AEV setup would out perform the others in a slalom course on the pavement. It would probably do better than the others for an expedition-type adventure.
While I think AEV would say that their kits are capable of some rock crawling, the name of the company is American EXPEDITION Vehicles, so that may be a good way to draw a distinction. Planman has insight on how he will personally use the vehicle, so he can make the best choice for him. In a two Jeep family, it sounds like an addiction which demands less esoteric and more utilitarian solutions than the AEV kit.

As to brackets somehow being bandaids, don't all kits relocate the mounting points? Otherwise, you would still have a stock rig. I guess some brackets weld on versus bolt on, but I'm not sure how you could fault the AEV kit for using brackets. I sort of sense reading through this and other threads that there is some "loyalty" coloring the opinions.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

As to brackets somehow being bandaids, don't all kits relocate the mounting points? Otherwise, you would still have a stock rig. I guess some brackets weld on versus bolt on.
ummm, what?? most good complete kits come with replacement adjustable heavy duty control arms with upgraded joints that provide greater bind free flex. there is nothing stock about them. long arm kits are the only kits that relocate their mounts as it is needed to run long arms.

but I'm not sure how you could fault the AEV kit for using brackets.
lowering brackets are just a step above the cheap cam bolts they used to sell everone on as being the best thing since sliced bread. if the kit were more reasonably priced like the rancho sport kit, you wouldn't even be hearing from me but, being as expensive as it is, i think it's a joke. but, i do have to give aev kudos for their outstanding marketing as they sure seemed to have sold you.

I sort of sense reading through this and other threads that there is some "loyalty" coloring the opinions
i agree - you clearly seem to have a "loyaty" that is coloring your opinion.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Things I'm looking for feedback on:

-Ride (versus one another or stock) and what to expect-- Rides as good as stock.

-approximately how much lift to expect--depends on how weighted down you are with bumpers and winch, cargo, etc.

-warranty/support info---second to none.

-install difficulty (probably be doing this myself....)--easy, that is if you have patience.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Brackets, not arms.

As for bind-free flex, not sure how your are encountering binding on the stock bushings. This is actually a fairly maintenance free solution. Low tech is not always a bad thing. The "upgraded" joints offer more parts to fail in an extreme environment. I'm sure that properly maintained and serviced they afford a measure of improvement, but I do not think that Jeep has produced an utterly substandard part here.

On the cost side, the AEV kit with shocks and PRoCal is $1700 and the TF kit the OP referenced costs $2,200, so it seems disingenuous to rant about the cost of AEV when the kit being considered (1451302) cost $500 more and, while including control arms, includes no steering solution and no ProCal. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do feel there are merits to the AEV system. Is there a better one? I will stipulate that there is, but I will also say, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

As for bind-free flex, not sure how your are encountering binding on the stock bushings. This is actually a fairly maintenance free solution. Low tech is not always a bad thing. The "upgraded" joints offer more parts to fail in an extreme environment. I'm sure that properly maintained and serviced they afford a measure of improvement, but I do not think that Jeep has produced an utterly substandard part here.
nobody said that bonded rubber bushings were "utterly substandard". in fact, the teraflex arms use bonded rubber bushings at the frame mounts for better ride comfort. but, in order to flex, a bonded rubber bushing has to "twist" and this twisting IS bind. the teraflex arms use a large spherical joint at the axle end to help reduce the amount of this bind and offer greater flex. properly maintained and serviced, they will remain quite and do in fact afford measurable improvement.

On the cost side, the AEV kit with shocks and PRoCal is $1700 and the TF kit the OP referenced costs $2,200, so it seems disingenuous to rant about the cost of AEV when the kit being considered (1451302) cost $500 more and, while including control arms, includes no steering solution and no ProCal. I don't have a dog in this fight
but, with the teraflex kit, you get a complete set of BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY ADJUSTABLE CONTROL ARMS and adjustable front track bar. the control arms will even allow you to set your rear pinion angle after you install a new u-joint style drive shaft. the aev kit gives you a bunch of relocation bracket and ones that won't be able to set your rear pinion angle. no, the teraflex kit does not come with a draglink flip kit but honestly, it's not necessary. would having one improve high speed handling through a slalom, sure and, if that's how you roll, i suppose you can still add it for a couple of hundred dollars more.

but I do feel there are merits to the AEV system.
yes, there are definite merits to the aev kit - i just don't think it's worth the $1700 especially when you can get something very similar for less than half the cost.

Is there a better one? I will stipulate that there is, but I will also say, you get what you pay for
you're absolutely right, if you were to pay for a long arm kit, you would get better but, a good one would be about a thousand dollars more.

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-17-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOL,

I appreciate your zeal for TF and appreciate that they are a sponsor here and AEV is not. My responses to the OP were simply to point out what I liked about AEV having researched the same question on this and other forums. You are much more expert on all things Jeep than I am. I do not have either of these kits and am unbiased in my review of the information available and acknowledge the pros and cons outlined here and elsewhere. I think we can agree that each of these (as well as others) have their particular merits. In the end, each user determines what is right for THEM.

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

WOL,

I appreciate your zeal for TF and appreciate that they are a sponsor here and AEV is not.
i was wondering when that was gonna come up. when you have nothing better to add, you attack my integrity and try to suggest that the valid and articulate points that i've been making should be discounted due to the fact that teraflex is a sponsor here and aev is not.

My responses to the OP were simply to point out what I liked about AEV having researched the same question on this and other forums.
and, my responses to the OP were simply to point out what i have personally seen, tested out and experienced over the last 4+ years.

You are much more expert on all things Jeep than I am. I do not have either of these kits and am unbiased in my review of the information available and acknowledge the pros and cons outlined here and elsewhere.
please, of course you are biased. you have developed a strong opinion based on your extensive research on the internet and you have been trying to justify them here through your defense of the kit you have convinced yourself to buy. as for me, i don't have either kit on my 2 jk's either. sure i have run teraflex kits in the past and have even installed plenty of them but, i have also installed and tested many other brands as well. but hey, why trust anything a guy like me would have to say

I think we can agree that each of these (as well as others) have their particular merits.
ummm, if you had been reading what i have been saying all along, the aev kit would be just fine if it weren't so over priced for what little you get. sure it has meirts but in my opinion, at a premium that i'm amazed people are so eager and willing to pay. kits like the rancho sport kit are very similar in design and in what you get but it's less than half the cost of the aev kit.

In the end, each user determines what is right for THEM.
LOL!! from what i have seen, "right" is whatever one convinces themselves to be right and really, there's nothing wrong with that so long as you're happy with what you got

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-17-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have 3 2010 JKs in the family, but only 1 is lifted at the moment...

Cannot comment on AEV...

Cannot comment on Teraflex 3"...

...but having owned 7 Jeeps over the last few years, I have been in the same quandry as the OP: Which is the better lift?

I'm running a teraflex 4" short arm lift, my 3 kids and I put it on over a weekend.

It rides nice, I am very happy with it, and would recommend it to others.

Bottom line, it is hard to say what is bad or what is good until you have experienced it for yourself. It is nice to have someone's firsthand evaluation of a specific lift that you are interested in versus a bunch of answers like "it's good," it's great," "it sucks" or "get it, you'll like it."

Talk to the person that has driven the lift you are interested in, ask what they specifically like and don't like about it, right down to the little things, and then see if that's what you want. It will be rare that you get a "lemon" for a lift kit, but it could happen.

The only thing I'm paranoid about on my lift is making sure everything stays tight and keeping all the joints properly lubed.

Last edited by membrain; 05-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: AEV NTH Degree Dualsport SC 3.5" lift versus Teraflex 3" Full 8 Flexarm lift