Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV on light Jeeps?

Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV on light Jeeps?

Before anyone starts bashing or recommending this or that I would like to have this question answered. How well does AEV lifts ride on a stockish weight jeep? I have front JCR bumper and winch; rear bumper, and sliders will come later but not at the moment.

PS, I've researched and considering other brands as well. Not meaning to come off as a jerk, I just went through alot of fussing on my last thread Lol
Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I have the aev 2.5 with control arm brackets on my 13 jku. Was stock aside from 33" duratracs when i installed it. Handling is as good or better than stock. I drive it everyday to work with minimal offroading. Ride is a bit stiffer than stock i suppose. But some of that is likely due to the e load rating on my duratracs. I love the way it rides and handles and would buy the same thing again but with 35s...
Old 03-22-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

Not as comfy as stock but pretty much the same. I wouldn't worry about it. When I did mine I did 3.5AEV but also did 35" tires. I don't know how much of the slightly stiffer ride was from the tires or the lift.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried the actual AEV forum? Sure it's probably biased but I'm also sure people running stock/lightweight setups have chimed in on there....
Old 03-22-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
have you tried the actual AEV forum? Sure it's probably biased but I'm also sure people running stock/lightweight setups have chimed in on there....
I'll try there and join if necessary haha
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 2-door with the 2.5" AEV coil lift. I've had it for about 60k miles now, but while I have nothing to compare it to other than stock, I would buy it again. I don't do any rock crawling, and I don't believe that AEV designs their kits to do so. I think they're move of an overland kit - if that makes sense. My jk is my daily driver, but on weekends, it's usually out on the hunting lease (no rocks, only mud when it rains). If I were to complain about anything, it would be the Bilstein 5100 shocks that come with the kit. They're a little on the harsh side - at least for a 2-door. AEV also designs their lift to run with their heavier front and read bumpers, a winch, and an oversized spare. I think a heavier jk or even a jku would ride better. My front and rear steel bumpers prob have a combined weight of 50-60 lbs. My winch sits in a box in the garage, but I do have a 35" spare. My jk is basically on the light side, especially when I replace the hard top with the soft top. Right now I'm actually looking at replacing the shocks with some Rancho's. My drivers side rear shock is leaking (already talked to Bilstein about it - it's normal they say), but with 60k miles and wanting a softer ride, and wanting to try something different. Washboard roads can rattle your teeth. Better than stock? Yes. Less nose dive when hitting the brakes hard and less lean while taking sharp corners. At the time I installed it, AEV was noted as one the better handling on-road suspension systems you could buy. If most of your time is on the road, I'd still lean towards AEV.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
Before anyone starts bashing or recommending this or that I would like to have this question answered. How well does AEV lifts ride on a stockish weight jeep? I have front JCR bumper and winch; rear bumper, and sliders will come later but not at the moment. PS, I've researched and considering other brands as well. Not meaning to come off as a jerk, I just went through alot of fussing on my last thread Lol
I have run the 2.5 AEV kit on my Jeep, without any additional weight, for over a year. It has been great. In the next couple of weeks throwing new bumpers and winch on, interested to see the difference.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed an AEV 2.5" kit with drop brackets on a friends 2010 JKUR three years ago. She has since added RH4x4 bumpers front & rear, a Warn Powerplant winch and a Teraflex tire carrier. She added a 1" spacer in front. Rides & handles well. Lives in Moab and wheels the devil out of it. So far so good.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Almost 20k miles. 33 duratrac, winch, sliders, bumpers. Rides better than stock. Would definitely recommend for on and off road. Easily managed Ouray last year.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
I installed an AEV 2.5" kit with drop brackets on a friends 2010 JKUR three years ago. She has since added RH4x4 bumpers front & rear, a Warn Powerplant winch and a Teraflex tire carrier. She added a 1" spacer in front. Rides & handles well. Lives in Moab and wheels the devil out of it. So far so good.
which spacers did she get if you recall?

Quick Reply: AEV on light Jeeps?