Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Lift & Lower Control Arms

Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Lift & Lower Control Arms

I'm looking at the 3 in AEV Lift for my 4dr Rubicon and want to get some new front adjustable lower control arms. This will be my first self installed lift. I've had 4X4 shops do the lifts on my previous Jeeps. I'm not sold on the cam bolts. Can I cut out the cutting the flange step from the lift instructions. Thanks in advance.

Step 11: Install Front Lower Control Arm Cam Bolts. The factory LCA brackets on the axle are designed to be able to use cam bolts to adjust caster – which is necessary with this suspension system. The existing hole is square, and will need to be extended toward the back of the axle (away from the axle tube) as shown in figure 11-1. There is a partially punched piece of metal along both the forward and rearward sides of the square hole – you only need to remove the rearward one. Note this punch usually does not mean you will be able to simply knock out the piece as you would an electrical box ‘knockout’, so be prepared to use a router bit and/or a plasma cutter to fully remove them. This removal must be performed on both the inner and outer flanges of both LCA brackets for a total of four times. Once the holes have been extended, replace the original LCA bolts with the supplied cam bolts, washers, and nuts and adjust them to maximize caster (i.e. bolt biased to the rear of the extended holes) as shown in figure 11-2. Final caster can be set on an alignment rack but generally you will want all the caster that the cam bolts can provide, so set them here for now.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, just buy adjustable control arms, no need for cam bolts or cutting

Quick Reply: AEV Lift & Lower Control Arms