Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV lift kit trouble

Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad I logged in to find this thread.. I have a 2011 Rubi...had the same kit installed and I am experiencing the same issue. The faster I go down the highway the worse the wobble gets. I had the tires balanced and rotated. They did have uneven wear on the fronts, so they are now on the back. But the problem has not gone away in the slightest. Its been suggested to air down the tires to 15 psi when Im offroad, but thats inconvenient when I have to drive down the highway to get to dirt and back. Furthermore my jeep beats me up like my old Superduty offroad. Wish I would have left it stock. Taking it to an AEV friendly dealership Thurs for a look see.

Help!
Ledsack.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a slight problem after lift install cuz my brother didnt torque all the bolts down on the control arms. so spent the rest of that day tightening down everything to where it should be. No problems now. So leads me to believe something is loose somewhere. Are u running aftermarket wheels by the way? Cuz if u are make sure u took the little rings off the studs! This will cause your wheel to come loose.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ledsack
So glad I logged in to find this thread.. I have a 2011 Rubi...had the same kit installed and I am experiencing the same issue. The faster I go down the highway the worse the wobble gets. I had the tires balanced and rotated. They did have uneven wear on the fronts, so they are now on the back. But the problem has not gone away in the slightest. Its been suggested to air down the tires to 15 psi when Im offroad, but thats inconvenient when I have to drive down the highway to get to dirt and back. Furthermore my jeep beats me up like my old Superduty offroad. Wish I would have left it stock. Taking it to an AEV friendly dealership Thurs for a look see.

Help!
Ledsack.
....did you read any of the posts in this thread that were posted? Tighten all the bolts according to spec (meaning what AEV said the ft lbs of torque should be on each bolt they supply you with...they're not saying it for nothing or fun.. There is a reason). You think a dealer will give your vehicle the love it requires and follow the torque specs? HAH!

edit: just because it "seems" tight, doesn't mean it's tight enough. And if not torqued to spec, you will have issues. I'll take my axel shaft flange for example. It's bent literally by like .5 to 1 degree. Can't even notice it by the naked eye - at all. But at 80km/h all sorts of wobbly mayhem ensues and the jeep becomes the jiggle machine of the future....everything has to be just right.

Last edited by Miknov; 10-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Markr
Ahahaha!!!! Brutus the Barber Beefcakes!
Ha you know it!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default This

This

Originally Posted by Miknov
I have the AEV premium, and can almost guarantee what you're dealing with is a loose bolt somewhere. I'd wager a bet it will be with the front suspension. Torque specs and tighten and do it yourself!
If that does not help have the dealer look at the rear drive shaft if that's still stock. I had problems with mine after installing a 3.5" AEV but 2.5: should not be a problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Miknov

....did you read any of the posts in this thread that were posted? Tighten all the bolts according to spec (meaning what AEV said the ft lbs of torque should be on each bolt they supply you with...they're not saying it for nothing or fun.. There is a reason). You think a dealer will give your vehicle the love it requires and follow the torque specs? HAH!

edit: just because it "seems" tight, doesn't mean it's tight enough. And if not torqued to spec, you will have issues. I'll take my axel shaft flange for example. It's bent literally by like .5 to 1 degree. Can't even notice it by the naked eye - at all. But at 80km/h all sorts of wobbly mayhem ensues and the jeep becomes the jiggle machine of the future....everything has to be just right.
Lmao! Jiggle machine! Sorry i had to laugh!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

So this is becoming a death wobble saga........

anyhow, loosened and re-tightened all suspension bolts while under vehicle weight, the car is better, but still there is just some oscillation/ shimmy feeling when i hit certain bumps - it does not feel as crisp as it should be ....

so balanced the tires again, and rotated them..a bit better....

Together with a friend, I performed a dry-steering test (a little bit back and fourth on the steering wheel) while holding the different suspension components, i detected some gap/ click while holding the drag link as it was moving...took it in to the shop, and the dealer said this is normal on lifted JKs and he made me go around and check a number of them he had in for repairs. it seemed pretty common (which to me is not a scientific approach since the others might have wobble/ shimmies)....then he said you should get a new steering stabilizer (which is the standard response to these cases)...I said no...

Is it normal to have some sort of click feeling in the drag-link as it moves?

thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I just put the aev 2.5 lift w/correction brackets on my 08 Sahara 4dr lastnight...looks great and the driving is def feels better....only prob so far is the esp light is flicker on and off... And the abs acts up here and there??... I was told an alignment should take care of that?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Just correcting your steering wheel alignment will fix those problems. Look up the write up and correct your steering and the lights should subside.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bkyler
Just correcting your steering wheel alignment will fix those problems. Look up the write up and correct your steering and the lights should subside.
X2, don't waste your time and money going somewhere. Your steering wheel must not be straight. You can do the guess and check method or if you have a procal there is a setting to tell you when it's straight.

Quick Reply: AEV lift kit trouble