Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV JK Front Control Arm Brackets, Are they worth it?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed these along with there high steer kit to go along with my OME Hd lift. I have to say that I could not be happier with the way it drives and rides it is in my opinion much better than stock (ride wise) and it steers perfectly. This set up replaced a teraflex 2.5 spring lift with tera lower control arms and I am much happier with the new set up. As for the loss in ground clearance, I really don't care because the jeep spends 90% of its life as my wife's dd. I don't really think that the control arms being 2" lower can be any worse than wheeling. Disney stock.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spedly
The brackets do have caster correction built in which is why people buy them instead of adjustable arms. They are a decent idea for a street jeep, but they wouldn't last 20min on my rig.
I didn't use these, I used the Rubicon Express version, however they took a pounding and lasted until that jeep was stolen. It was slammed into a ditch which broke a lot of things but the brackets held up perfectly fine.

If these are made to the standards that RE made theirs, I am sure they would hold up to the upper echelon of wheeling that your "rig" goes through.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

OK guys i run these with adjustable LCAs. Their intent is to return caster near stock angles with relocation and lowering of the LCA mounting point with respect to the frame of the JK. Yes caster adjustment is built in for 3" and 4" lift heights by choosing which hole set you use to mount the LCA. The critical design provision is returning the LCA's to a more parallel mounting position relative to the ground which prevents "diving" and "darting" with ride height changes and heavy front bumpers with winches. I am very please with the ride quality these produced with my adjustable LCAs near stock length. These are tough and sandwich the old mounthing position with heavy hardware that I am sure should satisfy any heavy duty wheeling! I do not see a lot of loss of ground clearance when compared to the skid mounted mid-body of the JK.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justmegsb
OK guys i run these with adjustable LCAs. Their intent is to return caster near stock angles with relocation and lowering of the LCA mounting point with respect to the frame of the JK. Yes caster adjustment is built in for 3" and 4" lift heights by choosing which hole set you use to mount the LCA. The critical design provision is returning the LCA's to a more parallel mounting position relative to the ground which prevents "diving" and "darting" with ride height changes and heavy front bumpers with winches. I am very please with the ride quality these produced with my adjustable LCAs near stock length. These are tough and sandwich the old mounthing position with heavy hardware that I am sure should satisfy any heavy duty wheeling! I do not see a lot of loss of ground clearance when compared to the skid mounted mid-body of the JK.
It depends where you wheel I guess in places like moab they would probably be great, but on the east coast where you have a lot of boulders the mounts get pretty beat up.

Here is one of my stock mounts

They are a great product if you don't wheel a lot though.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spedly
It depends where you wheel I guess in places like moab they would probably be great, but on the east coast where you have a lot of boulders the mounts get pretty beat up.

Here is one of my stock mounts

They are a great product if you don't wheel a lot though.
So with that argument, the Jeep is a great product if you don't wheel a lot though. Comparing these brackets to the stock stamped steel bracket tabs is not really a comparison.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcole
So with that argument, the Jeep is a great product if you don't wheel a lot though. Comparing these brackets to the stock stamped steel bracket tabs is not really a comparison.
If you are hitting the stock brackets you are sure as shit going to hang up on ones that sit 2-3"s lower. Not to mention the leverage they add to a mount which is already know to rip off the frame.

If you were serious about wheeling you would be trying to get everything tucked up and out of the way not lowing things down making them more comfortable. I know not everyone builds their jeep to do hard wheeling, I was just replying to the person I quoted that said they would work for heavy duty wheeling.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much lower do these hang then say the brackets for long arms? Seems like the brackets for long arms would be in a worse spot as they are positioned closer to the center of the vehicle.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranjr
How much lower do these hang then say the brackets for long arms? Seems like the brackets for long arms would be in a worse spot as they are positioned closer to the center of the vehicle.
Ok, i'm still learning for sure...but, i understand long vs short arm geometry and the benefits the long arms will provide. After looking at WAY too many pics of long arm set ups and drooling all over my ipad, then viewing pics of the aev drop brackets...they really don't hang much lower than any long arm brackets...if any. Are users of the aev lifts really folding these brackets over on the trail?
I'm not trying to defend either system, just wondering...because there is definately a price difference.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Sean from SLC Customs, a forum sponsor told me that on several runs up in Arkansas, several rigs with long arms were getting hung up on rocks; and rigs with the Drop brackets; not so much. Mid arms without brackets are obviously the best for rocks. Long arms for overall ride and and control. Brackets are a cheap alternative to adjustable control arms that actually beat them for on road driving and still perform great OffRoad; just not superior to adj. control arms. They are a compromise. They work for me, but I am not a rock killer; at least not until it's paid off. I will put upper adj Rock Krawler CA's on to match my RK LCA's when that occurs and take the brackets off.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you gain articulation with the aev brackets if you use them together with adjustable lca's? Or is it just about the adjustability...or i guess both??
I dont see myself on any "JKX" type trail. I want a jk to be able to explore desert trails and do some mild- to- medium crawling.

Quick Reply: AEV JK Front Control Arm Brackets, Are they worth it?