Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV JK Front Control Arm Brackets, Are they worth it?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woohoo, looks like my next mod
Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKCliff
I have them and they keep the Jeep running much like stock. There purpose is to help the springs absorb the impacts rather than the control....which transfers the force to the frame. By keeping the lower control arms as close to perpendicular to the road surface it transfers the impact up and into the spring & shocks.

I like them. They came included with my 4.5" AEV Premium kit. I also run the Monster Arms from Teraflex for the adjustability... My alignment is to within factory specs. It drives great.
hi there i am new to the jk jeep. got it for a year and after visiting canada and states i was blown away with what you guys do with jeeps. impressed. i am now sitting on the internet trying to decide which suspension to choose from. there are so many companies trying to sell their products. the more i dig in the more confused i get. aev, teraflex,full traction, rubicon,etc.
since i live in africa it is difficult for me to visit these companies to see for myself what they are selling. so i have to rely on internet and reviews. again could not find anything convincing enough. aev was convincing but they don't supply long arms, just brackets which again did not convince me. tell me after fitting the aev kit , do you had to do it over again would you choose any other kit? i need choose a kit that wont give me problems. our cops are not that strict so we quite often push to the limits on the highways constant speed of 160km/h and would like something that would not wobble all over and off road also like driving my jeep hard.

would really appreciate your opinion.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Mozjeep,

Welcome to the forum! Go with the AEV for high speed and offroad adventures. It keeps the stock arms and the new brackets negate the need for expensive arms. You can always add them later. The progressive springs hold up to heavy cargo also.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Mozjeep, I hate to think of "were I to do it over again..." but it's a great opportunity to share.

I would have bought and installed the AEV Premium kit first. Driven it for a few thousand miles for analysis. Looking back I think I could have saved the adjustable control arms expense. The stock arms are very durable and the rubber bushings very impressive. While I am a huge fan of the Rancho 9000's, I should have tried out the Bilstein shocks.

The AEV spring rates are exactly what I was looking for. I was not thrilled with the soft ride of the factory springs. The firmed up ride has greatly improved the on-road driving, cornering specifically. Off-road performance is very good! Now it's not as flexy as the softer kits from TeraFlex or Rubicon Express, but I drive on-road more days every month than I'd like. I believe I can keep up with others on the trails. I'm more limited by my "fear factor".

So bottom line... I'd recommend the AEV. It's a complete kit that increases your break over, approach, and departure angle. It allows the installation of bigger tires. It rides very good! The handling is as-good or better than stock!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never used the AEV kit, but as far as shocks go I am extreemly impressed with my Bilstein Shocks.

I have used several different types and these by far are my favorite.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

I hate to go grave digging here, but was hoping that anecdotal experience with these has increased since the last post. i am considering these for a 2.5 RC lift with spacers and shock extensions and was wondering if this would be a good application at this more modest lift height. Specifically I am hoping to compensate for a factory trac bar and factory lca's.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start with post #113 on page 12 - another old thread that was re-started recently.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=brackets

Specifically I am hoping to compensate for a factory trac bar and factory lca's.
Stock lca's, yes. But the trackbar is side-to-side axle centering. These brackets won't affect it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gluestick
I hate to go grave digging here, but was hoping that anecdotal experience with these has increased since the last post. i am considering these for a 2.5 RC lift with spacers and shock extensions and was wondering if this would be a good application at this more modest lift height. Specifically I am hoping to compensate for a factory trac bar and factory lca's.

Thanks
With a RC lift you do not have enough lift / bump stop spacing to run these.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

These brackets are not a replacement for adjustable control arms. They're meant to return the control arm ANGLES to a more parallel angle with the ground. You could buy 18 adjustable arms and weld them into the shape of a unicorn and it still wont change the control arm angle relative from mounting point on axle to mounting point on frame.

I ran a similar setup on a cherokee and the ride was good and it flexes every bit as well as the long-arm guys. I'm going to assume this would be similar.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcole
These brackets are not a replacement for adjustable control arms. They're meant to return the control arm ANGLES to a more parallel angle with the ground. You could buy 18 adjustable arms and weld them into the shape of a unicorn and it still wont change the control arm angle relative from mounting point on axle to mounting point on frame.

I ran a similar setup on a cherokee and the ride was good and it flexes every bit as well as the long-arm guys. I'm going to assume this would be similar.
The brackets do have caster correction built in which is why people buy them instead of adjustable arms. They are a decent idea for a street jeep, but they wouldn't last 20min on my rig.

Quick Reply: AEV JK Front Control Arm Brackets, Are they worth it?