Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Hood vs TMD Hood

Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
This reminds me of the fans for 'evacuating excess underhood heat out of cramped and un-vented engine compartments'.
Shouldn't be too complicated to improvise something based on such a fan.
A thermostat can be used to activate the fan automatically.

Link -
Cobra Valley's Duct Fan Cooling System Components
I have thought about something like using some fans. The motor never overheats, but the underhood temps get pretty warm when it is 90+ out. I mainly am concerned about the electronics under there.

The only reason I am not a fan of the AEV hood (or just putting in some louvers) is that it seems like rain water would run right down on the front half of the engine/pulleys. There is not the open space in front like the V-6.

Still, going on 4 years and I am still thinking about it and it is still running .

Last edited by Yankee; 04-10-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
I have thought about something like using some fans. The motor never overheats, but the underhood temps get pretty warm when it is 90+ out. I mainly am concerned about the electronics under there.

The only reason I am not a fan of the AEV hood (or just putting in some louvers) is that it seems like rain water would run right down on the front half of the engine/pulleys. There is not the open space in front like the V-6.

Still, going on 4 years and I am still thinking about it and it is still running .
A friend of mine has an AEV hood over a Hemi, and he likes it... I don't. I simply can't accept a hood that's not only open from above, but also has an indentation all around that opening, especially while better solutions exist.

BTW, in addition to fans, there are all sorts of vents for yachts (including engine compartments), and those keep water outside.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-11-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nemesis Industries and RK motor sports also have hoods for JK's
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by COStrider
Nemesis Industries and RK motor sports also have hoods for JK's
I like the looks of that Nemesis hood. I saw mention on a forum that they have added some sort of internal channeling for the vents to keep the engine dry.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

I like the looks of that Nemesis hood. I saw mention on a forum that they have added some sort of internal channeling for the vents to keep the engine dry.
Just looked, there's no hood on the Nemesis website...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Just looked, there's no hood on the Nemesis website...

They are supposedly setting up to sell for a third party, might not be avaialble yet. I emailed them for info. It is pretty aggressive styling and there were negative posts about it too. Many saying it looks to racey for a JK. However, I like it and there may even be room for me to fabricate a way to move my CAI up and out of the stock position. Even if I cannot, the heat reduction alone would be worth it.

The intake of my engine rests almost against the stock hood.

We shall see if they make the hood available.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nemesis.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	446162

Last edited by Yankee; 04-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

They are supposedly setting up to sell for a third party, might not be avaialble yet. I emailed them for info. It is pretty aggressive styling and there were negative posts about it too. Many saying it looks to racey for a JK. However, I like it and there may even be room for me to fabricate a way to move my CAI up and out of the stock position. Even if I cannot, the heat reduction alone would be worth it.

Attachment 446162
Thanks!

This hood seems to me to be the most effective for cooling, and may be my No.1 candidate -- if muddy water is directed off the engine.
(Almost tempted to say 'Muddy Waters'... )

Last edited by GJeep; 04-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attachment 446162
This is our hood and is available right now:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...n-hood-274796/

Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!

This hood seems to me to be the most effective for cooling, and may be my No.1 candidate -- if muddy water is directed off the engine.
(Almost tempted to say 'Muddy Waters'... )
GJeep,

I believe you requested a picture of the underside of the hood:

Quick Reply: AEV Hood vs TMD Hood