Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Hood

Old 11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Hood

Couple of things:

1. For those that have purchased this hood, when you painted it, did you have to blend the paint? I was quoted $175 to paint "Jeep Green" and $250 if they have to blend.

2. Has anyone painted anything JEEP GREEN without blending and it come out well? If so, do you have the exact code (crossover) and brand?

3. Anyone good with photoshop willing to help me explore options?

I have a Sahara. Building an Expo rig and was thinking I might could do something different with the new hood. The AEV hood is fairly aggressive looking and to just go back stock, I am not sure would do it justice???

Maybe some matte black around in the center? Khaki??

Just go back Jeep Green?

Maybe khaki where the black is on the above pic... 'cept my Jeep would be green instead of white of course.

Borrowed this image of Jeep Green Jeep with AEV hood in black primer from AEV (pre paint)...

I don't know ... seems maybe just Jeep Green on the whole thing would be the safe bet.

My purchase is partial determined if someone picks up my hood. So we will see.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by TJ Willy; 11-12-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hood is something you will notice/stare at every time you drive your JK.

Don't you think it's worth the extra $75 (10% of cost of the hood) to get it right?

At least one owner powdercoated some highlights (black on a black hood) for a subtle but IMO very cool appearance.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

TJ--

What are you doing with your old hood? I could sure use a new one ...

That's a quarter in this pic ...

Old 11-13-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
The hood is something you will notice/stare at every time you drive your JK.

Don't you think it's worth the extra $75 (10% of cost of the hood) to get it right?

At least one owner powdercoated some highlights (black on a black hood) for a subtle but IMO very cool appearance.

Yes. That is why I am posting here. I am just wondering if it really takes blending to "get it right."
Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
TJ--

What are you doing with your old hood? I could sure use a new one ...

That's a quarter in this pic ...

That is unfortunate indeed. Serious hail... How did the fenders fair???

Sent you a PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ Willy
That is unfortunate indeed. Serious hail... How did the fenders fair??? ...
The fenders are fine. So was the Mopar Sun Bonnet and the Bestop Trail Cover. Other than one small ding on the upper windshield frame, all damage was on the hood, the roof of my house, and my rain guttering. LOL.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Freak

If you go to a reputable body shop and they paint match your existing you do NOT need to blend (i.e. have them paint/fade it into the vertical panels and top panel by the windshield). I had done by a local (excellent) body shop and they just did a paint match by the code on the Jeep and then fine tuned it by matching to existing. It cost me about $500 (included some touch up body work on the hood due to shipping damage) to do the whole thing... take old hardware off, reinstall hardware, install hood, etc. The install is actually quite simple, so if you're doing it yourself you should have no worries.

Due to the shape of the hood in relation to the vertical areas of the Jeep as well as the panel by the windshield it is definitely a job that does NOT have to be blended. Just make sure they are paint matching and they are a reputable shop. Also, sometimes there are some imperfections so they'll likely need to be doing a high filler primer first. Mine was shipped w/slight damage which they took out too... but AEV reimbursed me for.

BTW, the hood is awesome... no more "hood lift" either. If you have an open element air filter (like an AirAid) you may want to add a little protection over the filter element (near the left center of the new hood) otherwise the element will get wet during storms (rain/snow). Not sure it matters, I just felt better having a little diverter put on that I made out of aluminum.

Last edited by Rubidonn; 11-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidonn
If you go to a reputable body shop and they paint match your existing you do NOT need to blend (i.e. have them paint/fade it into the vertical panels and top panel by the windshield). I had done by a local (excellent) body shop and they just did a paint match by the code on the Jeep and then fine tuned it by matching to existing. It cost me about $500 (included some touch up body work on the hood due to shipping damage) to do the whole thing... take old hardware off, reinstall hardware, install hood, etc. The install is actually quite simple, so if you're doing it yourself you should have no worries.

Due to the shape of the hood in relation to the vertical areas of the Jeep as well as the panel by the windshield it is definitely a job that does NOT have to be blended. Just make sure they are paint matching and they are a reputable shop. Also, sometimes there are some imperfections so they'll likely need to be doing a high filler primer first. Mine was shipped w/slight damage which they took out too... but AEV reimbursed me for.

BTW, the hood is awesome... no more "hood lift" either. If you have an open element air filter (like an AirAid) you may want to add a little protection over the filter element (near the left center of the new hood) otherwise the element will get wet during storms (rain/snow). Not sure it matters, I just felt better having a little diverter put on that I made out of aluminum.

Very helpful. Thanks for all that. I'm thinking about one of these in the Spring.

-Randy
Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Cool.
This is my next mod.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubidonn

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

I do look forward to the mod.

Quick Reply: AEV Hood