Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12 Arctic Unlimited

Yeah...but looks alot better...
I agree... AEV hood best looking out there by a long shot
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TechLife
If things work out, I'll be picking one of these up for mine next week. I am concerned with doing damage to the paint removing the factory hinges to install on the new one. So to those of you who purchased the painted version and installed it yourself, was it an issue? Would you recommend purchasing the unpainted version and having a body shop paint and install? My JK is silver so I can't really hide anything and for the price, I want it to be perfect.
The only issue I ran across was actually scratching the body of my Jeep with install of the hood. I should have waited for my wife to come home and help with moving it into position for install. I didn't it by myself and the lower lip inside the hood scratched both sides of the body. Not real obvious but I know its there. Other then that I was glad to have purchased the painted version and install it myself.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, function should come before form...:

Fresh air gets in from the front and pushes hot air to the back of the engine bay, so that's where the vents should be.
The AEV vents are at the front, so they let only part of the hot air out.
Hot air vents should be at the back and not at the front.
The TMD is an example for how it should be done. Link --

The River Raider Hi-Flow Hoods are another example. Link --
There are 2 models, $899 (pre-orders) and $1,040.

For even more cooling, there's the Nemesis which isn't yet available --
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...8/#post3515024 ........Post 76

Last edited by GJeep; 04-30-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Another option --

A powered vent, made specifically for hoods and up to 50 Celsius+ air temp':

On their website it's shown on the hood of a Land Rover Defender... sorry...

Last edited by GJeep; 04-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
IMO, function should come before form...:

Fresh air gets in from the front and pushes hot air to the back of the engine bay, so that's where the vents should be.
The AEV vents are at the front, so they let only part of the hot air out.
Hot air vents should be at the back and not at the front.
The TMD is an example for how it should be done. Link --

The River Raider Hi-Flow Hoods are another example. Link --
There are 2 models, $899 (pre-orders) and $1,040.

For even more cooling, there's the Nemesis which isn't yet available --
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...8/#post3515024 ........Post 76
I completely agree with you, but when wheeling most often your moving at a slow speed so there generally is a lack of air pushing from the front of the Jeep. Without having that air pushing from the front the hot air would rise up and out through any vents that a hood would have. This is just my opinion but from my experience with my AEV hood and wheeling I see a lot of heat rising out of the vents.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What, if any, difference is there in terms of water getting under the hood between the PSC add-on and the AEV Hood?

It seems like the PSC would let rain just drip all over the engine, but then again I have never seen either in person
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I completely agree with you, but when wheeling most often your moving at a slow speed so there generally is a lack of air pushing from the front of the Jeep. Without having that air pushing from the front the hot air would rise up and out through any vents that a hood would have. This is just my opinion but from my experience with my AEV hood and wheeling I see a lot of heat rising out of the vents.
Yeah, I've seen it too, on a friends' Jeep (AEV over a Hemi).

I'd like to vent near the firewall as well, and not just when crawling:
When I drive for 3~5 hrs in the desert, on roads, with 40+ Celsius outside, plus the engine heat, the batteries, for instance, don't benefit from such abuse... a vent just next to the batteries would have helped.

I'm still considering which way to take, and would like to see what comes out of the new Nemesis hood before I decide.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Here is my old 08 wrangler x

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1481377818.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	452829

Loved the hood so much when I sold my 08 and bought a 2012 unlimited rubicon first thing I did with 150 miles was buy an Aev hood and trek top lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-161031230.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	452830
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
Yeah, I've seen it too, on a friends' Jeep (AEV over a Hemi).

I'd like to vent near the firewall as well, and not just when crawling:
When I drive for 3~5 hrs in the desert, on roads, with 40+ Celsius outside, plus the engine heat, the batteries, for instance, don't benefit from such abuse... a vent just next to the batteries would have helped.

I'm still considering which way to take, and would like to see what comes out of the new Nemesis hood before I decide.
Yeah I can imagine the heat being a huge issue there, but I didn't even think about the heat effecting the battery. The battery would benefit from having a vent especially undering load like when winching
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
Yeah I can imagine the heat being a huge issue there, but I didn't even think about the heat effecting the battery. The battery would benefit from having a vent especially undering load like when winching
Depending, of course, on the climate one lives in, a vent next to the batteries would help even when parking.
Parking in southern Israel, for a few hrs in direct summer sun, would bring the under hood temp' to 60~70 Celsius.
No crawling, no winching, just switching off and parking for a few hours...
The hood slopes upwards, towards the firewall -- that's where the hottest air accumulates.
That's where the batteries are, and the battery isolator, etc'.
That's where I want the vents... near the firewall, on both sides and in the middle.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-30-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: AEV Heat Reduction Hood