Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AEV does need to figure out the part # for splitting the single hose into dual hoses. Their pdf for install is still for going from dual sprayers (2013) to single nozzle, yet the new hoods have dual nozzles. I called AEV and they had no mopar part# for the hose split. Looks like creative hosing and zip ties are in order. Hood looks insanely good though. Thanx Northridge, no damage during shipping at all!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

The part # for the nozzles is wrong too. It now takes the 2013 nozzle as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dwhitt74
My experience with the AEV hood is that it caused my tensioner and another pulley to squeal all the time because of all the extra moisture it let into the engine compartment. I replaced two different engine pulleys, 3 different times. Got tired of that so I traded it for a stock hood and a winch and cash. Btw, haven't had a squeal since then. Jm2c...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
My pulley's have too, developed a squeal. Started after about 2 to 3 months ago. It would only squeal at idle a few seconds and go away with revving the engine or while moving. Now it is constant and drives me up the wall. I'm going to try to fix the problem or call AEV and ask if they have a solution. Doesn't help that the hood vent is directly over the damn front of the engine either. I even thought about just sealing it off but was worried about water collecting in that grate on the hood and causing a rust problem.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HawesEA2

My pulley's have too, developed a squeal. Started after about 2 to 3 months ago. It would only squeal at idle a few seconds and go away with revving the engine or while moving. Now it is constant and drives me up the wall. I'm going to try to fix the problem or call AEV and ask if they have a solution. Doesn't help that the hood vent is directly over the damn front of the engine either. I even thought about just sealing it off but was worried about water collecting in that grate on the hood and causing a rust problem.
Let us know here because mine has started doing the same thing. Didn't think about the hood being the cause.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jim hensley
Let us know here because mine has started doing the same thing. Didn't think about the hood being the cause.
AEV stated that they have hoods on all of their Jeeps and don't have any issues. I was asked if I have ever had the Jeep in deep mud. I said I have had it in mud and they said it is most likely mud/dirt in the bearings of one of the pulleys. They said water wouldn't be the cause due to the engine compartment being a naturally wet area.

I read on another Jeep forum that people were having the squeal problem with no AEV hood. One guy said it was the idler pulley and another guy said his water pump was shot. These were 2012 & 2013 Jeeps. My coolant is low in my overflow tank and I only have 12k miles on my Jeep. I am gng to schedule a service appointment and see what Chrysler says.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cai

How does this hood work with a "Cold Air Intake" I am considering this hood, but I am concerned about water getting into the intake. Anyone running a CAI with these hoods.

Also for those of you with the squeeling, has anyone gotten a solid response as to what the cause may be?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anglico1
How does this hood work with a "Cold Air Intake" I am considering this hood, but I am concerned about water getting into the intake. Anyone running a CAI with these hoods.

Also for those of you with the squeeling, has anyone gotten a solid response as to what the cause may be?

Thanks
I'd say if you're concerned about water in the intake, you could always....and this may sound weird....run the AEM bypass valve. I doubt you'd have any issues running a CAI with the AEV hood unless you haul balls through a huge puddle and splash water in there. I'm sure there are people that run them without issue, though. I have the AEV hood, but no CAI. And no squeal in the 2 years I've had it, either.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Anglico1

Thanks
There is both good and bad with the AEV hood and a CAI. The good is that the side vent in the hood is right over the CAI, so there is a steady supply of cool fresh air directily into the CAI. The bad is that water can come through that same side vent. This is particularly the case with drive through car washes, where high pressure water can blast right through the vent, and spray down the air filter. That will wash the oil off of the filter and decrease the filtering capacity of the filter. You can help keep the water off the filter by using a pre-filter that is very fine mesh, and helps to shed the water. K&N sells prefilters that fit most filters. You can also just lay a large plastic bag over the filter before entering the car wash, and then remove the plastic bag after the car wash.

I use a pre-filter for normal daily driving, and also use a plastic bag for car washes.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
There is both good and bad with the AEV hood and a CAI. The good is that the side vent in the hood is right over the CAI, so there is a steady supply of cool fresh air directily into the CAI. The bad is that water can come through that same side vent. This is particularly the case with drive through car washes, where high pressure water can blast right through the vent, and spray down the air filter. That will wash the oil off of the filter and decrease the filtering capacity of the filter. You can help keep the water off the filter by using a pre-filter that is very fine mesh, and helps to shed the water. K&N sells prefilters that fit most filters. You can also just lay a large plastic bag over the filter before entering the car wash, and then remove the plastic bag after the car wash. I use a pre-filter for normal daily driving, and also use a plastic bag for car washes.
We'll I don't run my JK thru car washes so I guess that's a start. I am running the AEV Brute Force intake and also have a pre-filter, it is a no oil filter. Living in south Florida I see very heavy downpours at times, so the water issue is a big concern.

Thank for your feedback
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have this hood and a afe cold air intake. I run it thru washes, rain and whatever else. I have never had an issue whatsoever. I guess i could see a concern if it was a cold air desighn that doesn't use an air box

Last edited by roscoj; 10-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: AEV Heat Reduction Hood