Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Geometry correction brackets hole alignment

Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Geometry correction brackets hole alignment

I have a 2.5 AEV lift and had been running on the center bracket hole for the geometry correction brackets. I put a new bumper and winch on and went to put the brackets back to the top hole where they belong. I cannot get the upper control arms to move forward enough to get to the hole. Basically, the front axle won't rotate enough. I tried ratcheting the axle and broke my strap. Any suggestions? Am I just missing something obvious?

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEV-NTH20410AD-Geometry-Correction-Front-Control-Arm-Brackets-for-07-up-JK-2.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	457467

Pic of bracket
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by anonymark
I have a 2.5 AEV lift and had been running on the center bracket hole for the geometry correction brackets. I put a new bumper and winch on and went to put the brackets back to the top hole where they belong. I cannot get the upper control arms to move forward enough to get to the hole. Basically, the front axle won't rotate enough. I tried ratcheting the axle and broke my strap. Any suggestions? Am I just missing something obvious?

Attachment 457467

Pic of bracket
assuming you loosened lower CA, upper both off and you measured the frame to spring seat again to confirm you are supposed to use the top hole?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I did measure per AEV's instructions. That was actually why I had gone to the center hole. Pre-bumper, I got a little over 3.5" lift in the front. New bumper and winch put me solidly back into the 2.5" hole. I loosened, but did not remove the lower arms. I remember this being easy to install last year.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

did you raise the frames to allow your axle to droop - this will also make it easier to rotate the axle
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Keep your rig in Park with e-brake set.

Have someone try to roll your rig back and forth. It will roll about 1"-3" which should be enough to line things up.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Huh, I just realized that I had the frame still jacked up when I did this initially. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. This should go a little smoother tommorrow. I knew I was just missing something stupid....
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when working with control arms it is always best to do them one side at a time and with full weight on the Jeep.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Update:

Popped my jack under the axle where the drive shaft connects, couple pumps, everything lined up fine. Then I spent the next hour re-torquing those ^&$&^@# bolts.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: AEV Geometry correction brackets hole alignment