Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Geometry Correction Brackets (Control Arm Drop)

Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
I believe 3 companies make geometry correction brackets ( aev, rancho, metal cloak). Of those I believe Rancho is the strongest. Everything is welded together.

I have a new philosophy on the brackets after looking at things a bit. I like the idea and think it is a good alternative to a long arm kit. If you look at long arm kits, they essentially do the same thing. The idea is to get the lower control arm back to as flat a position as possible to aid in on road performance.

Before everyone starts hating and screaming about ground clearance, consider this: a long arm will pass through the same area of space that the drop bracket occupies.

I say go for it. Its way cheaper than after market control arms and about 1/25th the price of a long arm kit. What do you really have to lose?
JKS recently came out with brackets as well. AS far as the long arm comment I would add "any kit offered" (except for the expensive genright) as bracket location makes a difference. Rotating the lower control arm axle mounts up on the tube does the same thing as drop brackets while increasing ground clearance.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't considered moving the lca mounts. I assume you have to shorten lca to make that work??
Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Depends on lift height. I would move to a HD mount from ruff stuff or one of the other fab part suppliers out there which would move the bolt hole closer to the axle tube.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Depends on lift height. I would move to a HD mount from ruff stuff or one of the other fab part suppliers out there which would move the bolt hole closer to the axle tube.
Thanks. I love these type of mods. Tabs are cheap and my welder works real good.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Its nice not having those bracket hanging down below the tubes. You do loose a bit of separation on the brackets but on the JK its really not an issue. The flatter arms and ground clearance are well worth the time it takes to move some brackets. You might want to optimize the lower shock brackets while you are working down there.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Its nice not having those bracket hanging down below the tubes. You do loose a bit of separation on the brackets but on the JK its really not an issue. The flatter arms and ground clearance are well worth the time it takes to move some brackets. You might want to optimize the lower shock brackets while you are working down there.
This is hard for me to envision as my Jeep isn't I'm front of me. It's currently in body shop purgatory. So I can't just go look at it and see what we are talking about here.

If I cut the LCA mount and moved it up some, I would have to weld on new shock brackets wouldn't I? Or get a longer shock? Wouldn't that change the angle the shock sits at? Maybe I'm not thinking about the same thing/direction as you or something. Trying to find stock axle pics for reference but not quite following this.

I am all for customization and fabbing stuff. I think it's cool to make nice solutions to expensive replacements, that in the case of adjustable control arms, don't even really mitigate the issue of how parallel (or not) the arms are with the ground. Or close to stock angle, however we want to describe it.

Have you done this? Any photos if so?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I've not searched for this, but what is the best way people go about cutting the mounts off the tube clean? Like with the curve of the tube? I've got plenty tools and stuff, but i feel like it would be hard to get something in there and cut along the tube while not trashing half the mount you're relocating.

Surely people aren't using torches....right? I don't know if I'd have the finesse to cut along that thin axle housing with a torch and not burn through it like a dunce.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
And I've not searched for this, but what is the best way people go about cutting the mounts off the tube clean? Like with the curve of the tube? I've got plenty tools and stuff, but i feel like it would be hard to get something in there and cut along the tube while not trashing half the mount you're relocating. Surely people aren't using torches....right? I don't know if I'd have the finesse to cut along that thin axle housing with a torch and not burn through it like a dunce.
Plasma cutter probably. And then grinder to make it all smooth.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't reuse the old mounts.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

ON the rear you would have to find a new lower mount for the shocks, up front you may have to move the mount out a bit towards the tires for extra clearance for the bolts.

I use a plasma torch but you can use a cut off wheel to remove brackets which makes it easier to re use them.

This is really not a mod for most people and is hard to undo if you want to sell the jeep later.

my build thread has some photos but not stock axles. start on page 33
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...-cough!/page33

Quick Reply: AEV Geometry Correction Brackets (Control Arm Drop)