Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV geometry correction bracket question

Old 08-16-2019, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Other than TB bolts and joints, the 3rd thing that can happen, but is a bit less common, is that the hole in the frame side bracket can get wallowed out after having a good solid wobble (as that bolt takes some abuse during a wobble and the bracket is weak). If you happen to remove the TB, inspect the holes on both the front and back of that bracket to ensure they aren't oval'ing out any. At 60k miles, and with a factory TB, I'd be surprised if those bushings aren't still ok. That style of bushing is pretty sturdy.
I will make it a point to remove the bolts and inspect the holes when I have a chance (hopefully sunday) to torque everything up. I'll also grab a shovel and check the ball joints and report back. Stay tuned!

UPDATE I spoke too soon. I just had a coworker turn the wheel to 10 and 2 quickly.... the axle side is still moving. After some further investigating I can see the inside of the bushing on the backside of the axle side of the track bar pushing out. I'm going to torque it anyway but it looks like the bushing is coming apart

Last edited by Beetlebz; 08-16-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I ordered a new track bar last night to get here for monday and went out late last night to re-torque the axle side track bar bolt. I got quite the surprise when the bolt blew apart and sent my wrench 30 feet away. The bolt broke right in the middle and it appears that the bolt was getting hour-glassed from the movement of being loose. In a stroke of dumb luck I had a set of grade 8 bolts in the tool box to do the bolt upgrade that I never got around to doing. The bushing is shot and the bar still moves when you turn the wheel left and right due to the play in the judging and the sleeve. The holes in the axle seem ok. I ordered a new JKS track bar and torqued the old one in place to hopefully keep me from wobbling till Monday.

Man, what a saga this turned in to.

Quick Reply: AEV geometry correction bracket question