Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Front Bumper

Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Front Bumper

His anyone here installed the aev front bumper and how hard was it ? The only thing that I worry about is the reuse of the stock crush cans and having to cut them off the old bumper. Just wondering if anyone had problems with the install.

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default not yet..

Going to do it this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes.. I hear 5 hrs if you are good! Means 8 for me....
Old 03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sucks Bigtime

Okay I really thought I would get it done in 3-4 hrs, but this thing is a beast to install.. It took me 8hrs almost exactly. I took 2 hrs running to the hardware and back for things they neglect to tell you that you will need... But all in all its straight forward. I am familiar with basic shop stuff. Really as long as you have a drill, a good tool set and a whole lot of PATIENCE you will get er done... I 'll post up a pic tomorrow... Im beat time for beer and tacos!

edit.... Oh yeah crush cans... Well I started to cut them out and realized my jigsaw was to wide to cut along side the can. I read up on other posts and people said to leave them out. I thought it was going to be a necessity, however there is no wiring or anything to those cans and it wouldn't make a damn of difference if you went through the extra hour of cutting those things out. The bumper is HARD steel and if you hit something I doubt its going to crush those cans anyway. The bump guards that AEV have on there most likely will crumple much like the can.. Anyway that is my view on cutting those things out...

Peace!!

Last edited by airric00; 03-22-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV install

Same here, about 8 hrs. What a pain in the #$@%! Many parts and lots of steps. Make sure you have some black plastic loom to extend the fog light wiring, not included in parts. Also some touch up paint is necessary (to paint the crush cans after you cut them out of the stock bumper). One other thing, some large zip ties for attaching the fog light wiring to the a/c tube (in the front under the grill). Do your self a favor and make sure all the parts are there before you get into it. I was missing the nuts that attach the s/s screen to the bumper. Called AEV about 3 weeks ago and still haven't received them. May have to try to call them again.
Also I installed a warn 9.5t at the same time. Make sure the square nuts are installed in the bottom of the winch before you put the bumper on. Otherwise they are very difficult to get in after. Last thing that was a pain was I switched to the synthetic winch rope and I should have taken the steel one off before installing the winch. Otherwise a nice bumper!

Quick Reply: AEV Front Bumper