Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Dual Sport Lift Kit after 2 years

Old 08-11-2015, 08:47 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV Dual Sport Lift Kit after 2 years

I have really enjoyed the stability the JK Unlimited gained from the 2.5" AEV Dual Sport kit. The jeep stays leveled at all speeds and cornering.

However, after 2 winters, the spings are fully rusted and squeak uncontrollably (I have rulled out every other possibility). AEV does not bother to respond to my inquiry. Considering that the springs are the main competitive advantage of the AEV lift kit, i can only convlude the AEV has poor quality and poor supoort.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are made of steel and you live in a winter climate. They are going to rust. Happens to everyone. It is just on the surface. If it bothers you, there are many ways to fix it. Paint them with POR-15 and then you can leave the rust on. Pull them off and have them blasted and powder coated, etc.

That all said, your coils are not making the noise. If anything, it is probably those garbage Bilstein shocks reaching the end of their useful life. Regardless, you have had the lift for two years and now have a noise on a vehicle that is known for making all sorts of noise. Last place to call is AEV unless you have truly identified a product issue and it is an issue that was the result of a defect. They make products and don't run auto repair shops.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't live as far north as CT but we have our roads doused in salt even if freezing rain is forecasted in MD. I have two years on my AEV lift as well and have zero rust on my springs. They don't squeak and neither do my shocks. The only uncontrollable squeaking I've heard on a JK came from a friend's jeep when he had completely worn out control arm bushings. Likely not your springs. Check the bushings.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same lift for the same amount of time. And I am getting squeaking from my rear end. I have had all the rear bushing replaced. All but the read lower control arm. I think it's coming from there. I'm going to replace it soon with some other control arms.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

AEV has a very poor reputation for customer service. Don't expect much more than a "why are you bothering us?" Response. On that basis alone I'd never consider their products, any of them.

Last edited by SoK66; 08-12-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Not that it will help much, but I have the same lift for about the same time frame and live in Iowa...things rust here quickly too. My springs are not rusty and I currently have no squeaking but I agree with the others, check your shocks and bushings. I wasn't crazy about the Bilsteins either but figured they'd suffice for a few years.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

I only had my AEV 2.5 lift for a couple months and no issues. If you send a email to AEV they will not respond quickly but if you call them and ask for tech support they help and answer any questions in great detail. I did call and ask a few questions while I was installing my lift and they answer every question.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
AEV has a very poor reputation for customer service. Don't expect much more than a "why are you bothering us?" Response. On that basis alone I'd never consider their products, any of them.

I had powder coat flake off Geo correction brackets. Mentioned this in an Email them and they mailed a new set to England ... I was impressed
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Thx for info!!!! Researching a lift for my JK and was strongly swaying toward them. NOT anymore!!!! I'm all about customer service!!!! Teraflex it is then!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Wow. Thx for info!!!! Researching a lift for my JK and was strongly swaying toward them. NOT anymore!!!! I'm all about customer service!!!! Teraflex it is then!
3+ years on my AEV 3.5" DualSport with 45k miles so far with everything holding up nicely. I called a couple of times for some pre and post sales questions on the lift and a winch install and was quite satisfied. No complaints, just another example of YMMV I suppose.

may the mod gods be with you on your choices.

Quick Reply: AEV Dual Sport Lift Kit after 2 years