Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV corner guards with LED tail lights

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested if they have no license plate cutout on them, just the hole for the LED tail light.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RiderPride
I would be interested if they have no license plate cutout on them, just the hole for the LED tail light.
Thats the plan. I've said before... if you haven't broken your license plate bracket yet... you will. Relocate it to the spare tire.

Ty
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking at them but they are expensive! $300

I know, I know, cheap compared to the body work cost but still thats a lot for a couple pieces of formed metal. I would have jumped all over them for $200 - don't shoot me thats just my opionion.

Also, I don't see a chrome or stainless version - that would be a nice addition.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chrome is nice for a mall crawler but it does nothing but drive up the price for someone wanting it for body protection. That said, I think you could have it sandblasted and chromed for a reasonable amount. I might google it later to get an idea of what chromers charge.

Ty
Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
I just got off the phone with David from Northridge 4x4 and asked him about the corner guards that he started a feeler thread elsewhere on the forum. It was in the manufacturer/vendor part of the site and I don't think it got the hits it could have. The long story short is he needs 100 people interested in AEV corner guards with cutouts for round LED tail lights (like litedots that wol has on his TJ). I REALLY want a set of these so this is my effort to get more people looking at it. I think I'm going to post something on AEV's forums also. Whatever it takes!

The original thread is here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/led-rear-corner-gaurds-24432/

The reason I want these so bad is that I have firsthand knowledge of how weak the corner area is. When the tail light or license plate bracket takes a hit it will push the corner in instead of just smashing the light housing/bracket. My estimate for metal and paint work was $1100. I'm not going to pay this amount twice. The stock bumper just flexes and allows the light and plate bracket to be vulnerable.

Check out my damage here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/crunch-31017/

The pics don't show the damage as well as they could. If anyone wants I can take better photos.

Ty
Are you talking about ones with 4" holes cut out for LED's or small holes for Lite-Dots? They are different.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking litedot's but it really doesn't matter. They should design them for which ever fits better. Both will give the same effect.

Ty
Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking litedot's but it really doesn't matter. They should design them for which ever fits better. Both will give the same effect.

Ty
If you're talking real LED's then I would be IN. Finding $$$ may be a problem.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I want real LED's. I don't care what brand they are. So long as I can get them with backup lights built in like the lite dots I'm cool with it. Personally I really like the design of the litedots though. I know WOL has them on his TJ, Hopefully he will chime in with his 2 cents.

Ty
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I want real LED's. I don't care what brand they are. So long as I can get them with backup lights built in like the lite dots I'm cool with it. Personally I really like the design of the litedots though. I know WOL has them on his TJ, Hopefully he will chime in with his 2 cents.

Ty
I had LED's in my TJ. They were BRIGHT, but as far as i know there aren't any w/ back up lights included. I've seen guys use 2" clear LED's as back ups, but then you're going to need to cut more holes. Also, have seen some people mount up cheap Auto Zone lights on/under the rear bumper.

Lite-Dots had some problems with random Dots burning out. I think they have fixed the problem since. I heard they were good at replacing them if that ever happened. The way they mount is specific to CJ/YJ/TJ mounting holes though. Maybe they have started toying with Lie-Dots for JK's, haven't heard.

Good Luck, 6
Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

I would be in for a set. What does everyone do fro running led lights though? I had them on my tj and it was a pain in the but getting the led's to work right finally had to put a different set of fuses in the steering column to get the blinkers to work right. Will we have the same problems with runnig led's on the JK's? Just curious

Quick Reply: AEV corner guards with LED tail lights