Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV corner guards compatible with Or-Fab tire carrier

Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AEV corner guards compatible with Or-Fab tire carrier

Does anyone know / have done this setup?

Edit: I shouldn't have been lazy and just looked at some pics closer. Appears the two don't mesh. I really like the Or-Fab carrier, but not a big fan of their rear corner guards. Any suggestions on what might work with the Or-Fab or is it time to break out the cut off wheel on the AEV's?

Last edited by scamp_71; 12-12-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I just did this install and the answer is yes if you cut the AEV corner armor on the passenger side over the hinges.

I found about 5 other guys that did this and looked at their pictures and even had one PM me some more pictures. What I found and what I did was the following:

1) On the passenger side AEV corner armor bottom hinge cover I cut the top and bottom flat off and and the vertical side I left a very very slight lip.

2) On the passenger side AEV corner armor upper hinge cover I cut the bottom flat off, the verticla side I left a very very slight lip and the top I left part of the overhang (see picture). This took about 3 cuts to get right because I wanted the to remove the least amount of the AEV corner armor as possible.

3) I left out the two bolts for the passenger side AEV corner armor that fit under the OrFab bracket, but I glued a piece of tool box drawer liner under it. (I found the bolts did not allow the OrFab bracket to lay flat, and I did not want to have any rattle.)

4) The driver's side corner armor was no problem to drill through and have line up. However OrFab tells you the the landing block for the tire carrier rests on a spacer and there should be a slight gap between the landing block and jeep body. The purpose is to prevent scratches or dents to the jeep body. Well the AEV corner armor eats up the space for the gap. So you have two choices, leave it because the armor is tough enough to deal with the tire carrier (that is what I did after checking it all out) or you can get 2 1 inch washers and a slightly longer landing block bolt. (you can get those items at any hardware store). Add the washers to the OrFab spacer and use the new bolt. This will make it 100% in line with the OrFab instructions.

If you do not go this route OrFab makes corner armor that works with the tire carrier. When you order their corner armor let them know and I think they will even precut the landing block hole before powdercoat.

Here are some quick pictures (the pictures don't do it justice, the arrmor and the OrFab bracket mesh without much of a gap at all. The pictures must be at a bad angle).

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 105.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	249382Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 10.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	249381Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 95.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	249380Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 9.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	249379

Also here is a link to one of the guys that had it done.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=aev+corner

Last edited by remark; 12-12-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or fab makes their own corner guard if you want something that will fit right out of the box
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Remark! Havent had a chance to see it in person yet. Yes OR-Fabs corner guards will work as long as you tell them you have the tire carrier. They are as stout with or without the tire carrier. Check it out on their web site! Good luck.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Thanks a ton for the detailed reply and link to the other write up, Remark! I was just looking through my project "to-do" list and started thinking about how some different items would come together and thought there might be a little issue with the two products. But, now I see it is very doable with a little cutting. I'm pumped that I'll be able to use both of these products and make it work!

Quick Reply: AEV corner guards compatible with Or-Fab tire carrier