Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV bumpers, tools needed?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV bumpers, tools needed?

I just want to make sure I have the proper tools for the install before I get my bumpers. I'd like a specific list, if at all possible. My brother uses my tools some and he's notorious for losing them.. So my once amazing toolset is now sort erratic.

Just want to make sure I have the proper sizes and types. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

5/8" drill bit, fir the 8 holes that mate the bumper to the frame, even though the instructions don't tell you this. It will allow the bumper to have a little bit of necessary play so that it sits right when tightening it up. Unless it's a late production 2012, you'll also need another drill bit (forgot the size) to mount the skid plate. I recommend carbide bits. And, if installing on a 2012 with a winch, a dremel with a metal cutting wheel to trim the vacuum pump canister bracket for clearance. Not a big deal to do any of this stuff. An extra set of hands wouldn't hurt either. If you're installing a winch, another vehicle to use to spool thi line under load is needed. Good luck with the install.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?insl20
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKashat
5/8" drill bit, fir the 8 holes that mate the bumper to the frame, even though the instructions don't tell you this. It will allow the bumper to have a little bit of necessary play so that it sits right when tightening it up. Unless it's a late production 2012, you'll also need another drill bit (forgot the size) to mount the skid plate. I recommend carbide bits. And, if installing on a 2012 with a winch, a dremel with a metal cutting wheel to trim the vacuum pump canister bracket for clearance. Not a big deal to do any of this stuff. An extra set of hands wouldn't hurt either. If you're installing a winch, another vehicle to use to spool thi line under load is needed. Good luck with the install.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?insl20

No winch and the bumper itself is assembled. Pretty much just going to have to put it on.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Just the drill bits then and metric sockets and wrenches should be it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wc4ylq
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKashat
Just the drill bits then and metric sockets and wrenches should be it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wc4ylq

I've got a 16/17/18 which i know i'll need as far as sockets go. I have a 16 wrench I may need to go get a 17 and 18 wrench, got the bits. Got a phillps screwdriver, anything else?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Edarahk
I've got a 16/17/18 which i know i'll need as far as sockets go. I have a 16 wrench I may need to go get a 17 and 18 wrench, got the bits. Got a phillps screwdriver, anything else?
Sounds like you got it covered. Got Allen keys?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I've got allen keys. Thanks man.

Quick Reply: AEV bumpers, tools needed?