Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV bumper and Superwinch EPi9.0 - Bad fit -

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV bumper and Superwinch EPi9.0 - Bad fit -

OK, this weekend was the time to install Christmas presents - the winch from my wench (hope she doesn't read this!) and the bumper from me.

First off, this bumper is a work of art, but a PITA to install!

Anyway, everything is temporarily bolted up, except that the winch won't line up with the mounting holes in the winch plate. The light brackets on the bumper won't let the winch slide forward enough. Looks like I have four options -

1 - Cut the light brackets off (or at least trim them) but I hate cutting into a new bumper.

2 - Drill new mounting holes for the winch, and possibly end up weakening the mounting plate.

3 -Send the winch back and get one that fits (even though the dealer said it would fit - no problem!).

4 - Send the bumper back and get one that (a) fits the winch and (b) is easier to install.

And to top it all off, I butchered my OEM bumper when removing the crash cans, so I don't have a bumper to put on for driving to work tomorrow!

Anybody else run into this problem? what did you do?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

send the winch back .
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Send the winch back and change it for a regular EP9 instead with the removable solenoid housing.

The EP9 has an Albright waterproof contactor that can be remote mounted inside your engine compartment if you don't want it on the winch motor.

Here is a picture of the contactor that is inside.

This is my wife's TJ with the EP9 on a Warn winch mount and the Albright contactor under the hood. I installed in cab controls for the winch and mounted the original remote control socket on bracket off the radiator mounts so it is just visible in the grille slot.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I just got done installing this bumper. Its by no means a hard install. Granted, there is a lot of work to do. The crush cans are the most labor intensive. That said and done, 8 hours to install the bumper, winch and remote by myself.

If you order a different winch than the Warn that AEV recommends, make sure you get the same body style, size and mounting hole configuration. That will make life easy.

This is an awesome kicka$$ bumper

8 hours install time
Head turning every where you go, priceless
Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

I bought the same winch before I even bought my Jeep because a store close to me had a great deal on them, and they are a great winch. Now I want to buy a bumper and am finding mounting issues with quite a few of them. It'll all work out in the end, it just means you have do do more homework before making the purchase, as I'm doing now. Good luck with your setup.

Quick Reply: AEV bumper and Superwinch EPi9.0 - Bad fit -