Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aev bumper installed on my sahara

Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nader
i dont know. I can see how they would work. They are mounted directly in front of the frame rails becuase that is the part of the bumper that cant deform without transfering massive forces to the rest of the chassis. It's like they are an extra buffer or at least that is how I understand it.
I never said that they don't work, just that they would only work if they get hit. If you add a winch plate as the AEV bumper allows, it will become a rigid part of your frame capable of transfering massive force to the rest of the chassis. Now, what happens if you hit a pole or tree dead center? How about if you add a roller fairlead to this new rigid part of your frame capable of transfering massive forces to the rest of the chassis. Even if you were to hit something like the entire width of a car evenly, I would think the roller fairlead would prevent the crush can from functioning properly.

If you were to clip the end of the bumper it would deform because there is nothing behind it.
But the AEV bumper is made out of stamped steel and is extremely rigid unlike the factory plastic bumper. Deforming it would take a great deal of force.

I like keep all the factory safety measures in place. I liek to think that its their for a reason. Its like the guys that remove their front crash bars to install a larger intercooler. Not smart IMO.
Oh, I'm sure there is a reason like needing them in order to just meet new federal safety requirements and/or to be able to sell these vehicles in Europe and Japan. Have you ever seen some of the crap that's needed on a Jeep in order to be sold there?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know there are probably lots of thing you can attatch to the front bumper to make it safer. Why stop at 2 cans? You can get soup cans for cheap enough.... Maybe just a big piece of foam on the front bumper or perhaps rubber bushings.

Point is that you can go overboard on these things and I think that is exactly what Jeep did. It would be different if a lot of vehicles had them but most vehicles have air bags and most vehicles don't have the soup cans. I mean look at those little things, I find it hard to believe that they do absolutly anything. The fact that AEV included them on thier bumper actually makes it less appealing to me. Thats just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point is that you can go overboard on these things and I think that is exactly what Jeep did.
Jeep doesn't spend a single penny or add an extra ounce of weight unless absolutely required. They stopped painting the antenna and door locks on TJs to save money. The big 3 are kings of cost cutting. I bet AEV does the same, meaning: if they weren't important then why would they waste money on them ?

They are mounted directly in front of the frame rails becuase that is the part of the bumper that cant deform without transfering massive forces to the rest of the chassis.
Thank God someone put it into words clearly! I agree 100%

nota4re and OP: Those are great looking front ends
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry everybody I was just wanting to show off pictures of my new bumper and let everyone know that it is not as difficult to install as everyone thinks, I didn't mean to start some big debate
Old 04-20-2007, 07:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nota4re
Hey Eddie,

Chill out, my friend, I don't think we disagree as much as you may think.
LOL!! Oh, I'm chilled my friend. And, to a degree, I would completely agree with you here

I wasn't and am not trying to promote AEV's bumper. Sure, I like it and I decided to buy it but there's a lot of nice bumpers out there!
Honestly, I don't really care if you were. It's a good bumper that looks great and certainly, you like it. My problem here is that you go around saying things like "there's a lot of nice bumpers out there" but then continue to cast shadows over them by spreading factless theories.

Go back and read my post, I'm not saying anything about the "absolute need" for the crush cans. Where you're really wrong is in you accusation of FUD. I HATE FUD. I am the number 1 hater of FUD! - and that's exactly why I responded to the thread in the first place.
Am I really so wrong here? I'm sorry, but when I hear statements like...

"Theory 1: If you have someone elses aftermarket bumper and you are involved in slow-speed, front-end collision and your airbag is deployed "needlessly" you may have reason to be upset (or worse) at the bumper manufacturer. In this litigous society, some may choose to hold the bumper manufacturer liable for the cost f the airbag replacement, etc. Maybe not a big deal for some ("sue me, I'm not worth much") but when you get to be the size of AEV lawsuits and the bad publiciy can be a real bummer for business growth."
....I hear FUD. I hear, you need to buy a bumper from a company "the size of AEV" that's afraid of "lawsuits and the bad publicity" and not from a scary nobody shop that's got a "sue me, I'm not worth much", couldn't give a shit about what happens to you if you're ever in an accident policy. For a guy who seems to hate FUD so much, you sure seem to be an expert at it... At least, that's what I've been hearing anyway and by some of the recent responses I've been seeing around here lately, I think that's what they've been hearing it too.

As to WHY AEV incorporates them - I DO NOT have the facts and I explicitly provided my theories - which I believe are quite plausible.
But for what purpose? Why vocally theorize about it at all especially when you "DO NOT have the facts"?? Whether you want to believe it or not, your factless theorizing IS causing FUD amongst our members here. Don't believe me, just read some of the comments being posted here by others that echo the FUD you have been spreading.

So, please don't accuse me of spreading FUD or inaccuracies. If any of my stated facts are wrong, call me on it, that's fine.
Sorry, but I will call it exactly the way I see it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't true. The FUD you're spreading doesn't stem from the facts you have been stating but rather, it comes from the facts you "DO NOT have" and the "theories" you have been explicitly providing.

In spite of what you might think, I'm just trying to keep the information here as clear as possible, as accurate as possible and as factual as possible. This is done for the benefit of our members and also for the benefit of sponsors like you. Truth of the matter is, if somebody were to be spreading FUD about the products you make, I'd be there trying just as hard to keep things in check as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by este
Jeep doesn't spend a single penny or add an extra ounce of weight unless absolutely required. They stopped painting the antenna and door locks on TJs to save money. The big 3 are kings of cost cutting. I bet AEV does the same, meaning: if they weren't important then why would they waste money on them ?
But define "important"? Important based on what? AEV also includes a mesh grille on the front of their bumper with a plasticized logo on it. No doubt they costs extra money, how important is it really to include either of them? Why not just save the money by leaving the grille out and just sicking on a vinly decal with their name on it somewhere?

"They are mounted directly in front of the frame rails becuase that is the part of the bumper that cant deform without transfering massive forces to the rest of the chassis. "

Thank God someone put it into words clearly! I agree 100%
*SIGH* So why not include a crush can in front of the winch as well? Hell, why even allow the installtion of a big ass roller fairlead to boot? After all, the winch is attached to a winch plate thick enough and stong enough to become a critical part of the frame. And, in spite of what you might think, it won't deform like the rest of the bumper and it WILL transfer massive forces to the rest of the chassis.

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-20-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rust Prevention

Just curious. What are you guys to coat the parts you have to cut and drill. I know the manufacturer says to coat certain things that are cut and drilled to prevent rusting. I was gunna throw some por15 on the stuff cause I think I have some extra laying around from the old YJ.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used rust inhibating spray paint
Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bonedigger
Sorry everybody I was just wanting to show off pictures of my new bumper and let everyone know that it is not as difficult to install as everyone thinks, I didn't mean to start some big debate
Naw, you didn't start anything. Great looking Jeep you got there BTW. Don't know if you remember me or not but I saw you up on the Moab Rim Trail with ERICHOPPER.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

I hear without the crush cans you get an extra trail rated badge.

Quick Reply: aev bumper installed on my sahara