Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aev bumper installed on my sahara

Old 04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bonedigger
sorry I missed you too. I kept running into other forum members who said they were out on trails with you during the day. sounds like you had a good time.

Yeah I did, thinking about Telluride, Oray in Setember would you be interested. Also check out our Show in staging area in June. Papabear
Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papabear
Yeah I did, thinking about Telluride, Oray in Setember would you be interested. Also check out our Show in staging area in June. Papabear
I'd love to, by then I should have my axles changed out and new drivelines I will check it out for sure
Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Smile

cool. Papabear
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for explanation. I was too lazy to type.

Old School

Originally Posted by nota4re
Holy Crap, Rubidozer, did you just make all of this up? Sorry, but you are way off the mark with this information!

Perhaps I can more accurately describe the crush cans and then people can decide who they want to believe....

The crush cans were developed by DCX engineers to PREVENT the unwanted deployment of the airbags on low-speed, front end collisions with gov't mandated testing. Without the crush cans in place which, by the way, are directly in front of the frame rails, too much energy is transmitted down the frame rails and can trigger the accelerometers that cause airbag deployment.

The simple funcion of the crush cans is to absorb some of the energy - and, quite frankly, allow DCX to pass the gov't mandated low-speed collision test without airbag deployment.

Now, why does AEV retain them while other manufacturers do not? I have two theories. One or both may be valid - who knows?

Theory 1: If you have someone elses aftermarket bumper and you are involved in slow-speed, front-end collision and your airbag is deployed "needlessly" you may have reason to be upset (or worse) at the bumper manufacturer. In this litigous society, some may choose to hold the bumper manufacturer liable for the cost f the airbag replacement, etc. Maybe not a big deal for some ("sue me, I'm not worth much") but when you get to be the size of AEV lawsuits and the bad publiciy can be a real bummer for business growth.

Theory 2: We all know that AEV has strong relations with Jeep and often displays in their booth at large shows such as SEMA. It is completely conceivable that AEV may try to convince Jeep to offer an AEV-edition Jeep or an AEV-accessorized vehicle, etc. There's no way that DCX would consider this without the proper use of the crush cans.

Dealing directly with the other mis-information.

The reality is that IF AEV's bumper was weaker and did bend when others wouldn't - there would be no need for the crush cans. The stronger the bumper is - the more need there is for the crush cans.

Also, a formed bumper like AEV's is incredibly strong - much stronger, for example, than a heavier gauge, non-formed bumper. To say that AEV's bumper is not as strong as others ignores numerous other characteristics that all contribute to overall strength. (I guess we can throw away our FEA tools that we have developed over the last 20 years if it was really as simple as metal thickness.)

I do not have any affiliation to AEV other than the fact that I like their products and I happen to have one of these bumpers on my rig.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey bonedigger I have the same setup on order. Where did you get your hawse fairlead from?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nader
Hey bonedigger I have the same setup on order. Where did you get your hawse fairlead from?
I picked it up at Teraflex Plus but I know you can order it from just about anywhere that sells winches and supplies
Old 04-19-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

Damn that bumper looks good!

js.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's another example.

One of the things that is really nice about the design is how low the winch sits. It doesn't block the radiator at all. Funny, this was a main criteria for me when shopping the different bumpers. So, I get the AEV on and the winch nestled down in there..... and then I add these big-ass lights that totally block the grill. Maybe gives some insight to how bright I am
I like the lights are the Hella's? I am shopping for lights right now and can't decide whethter to go with the Hella or IPF
Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy Crap, Rubidozer, did you just make all of this up? Sorry, but you are way off the mark with this information!

Perhaps I can more accurately describe the crush cans and then people can decide who they want to believe....

The crush cans were developed by DCX engineers to PREVENT the unwanted deployment of the airbags on low-speed, front end collisions with gov't mandated testing. Without the crush cans in place which, by the way, are directly in front of the frame rails, too much energy is transmitted down the frame rails and can trigger the accelerometers that cause airbag deployment.

The simple funcion of the crush cans is to absorb some of the energy - and, quite frankly, allow DCX to pass the gov't mandated low-speed collision test without airbag deployment.

Now, why does AEV retain them while other manufacturers do not? I have two theories. One or both may be valid - who knows?

Theory 1: If you have someone elses aftermarket bumper and you are involved in slow-speed, front-end collision and your airbag is deployed "needlessly" you may have reason to be upset (or worse) at the bumper manufacturer. In this litigous society, some may choose to hold the bumper manufacturer liable for the cost f the airbag replacement, etc. Maybe not a big deal for some ("sue me, I'm not worth much") but when you get to be the size of AEV lawsuits and the bad publiciy can be a real bummer for business growth.

Theory 2: We all know that AEV has strong relations with Jeep and often displays in their booth at large shows such as SEMA. It is completely conceivable that AEV may try to convince Jeep to offer an AEV-edition Jeep or an AEV-accessorized vehicle, etc. There's no way that DCX would consider this without the proper use of the crush cans.

Dealing directly with the other mis-information.

The reality is that IF AEV's bumper was weaker and did bend when others wouldn't - there would be no need for the crush cans. The stronger the bumper is - the more need there is for the crush cans.

Also, a formed bumper like AEV's is incredibly strong - much stronger, for example, than a heavier gauge, non-formed bumper. To say that AEV's bumper is not as strong as others ignores numerous other characteristics that all contribute to overall strength. (I guess we can throw away our FEA tools that we have developed over the last 20 years if it was really as simple as metal thickness.)

I do not have any affiliation to AEV other than the fact that I like their products and I happen to have one of these bumpers on my rig.

Oh brother, here we go again.

I have said it before and I will say it again, THE CRUSH CANS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS IF THEY GET HIT - period. If they don't make contact with whatever you hit in a collision (like hitting a pole or tree right smack in the middle of your bumper), they won't do squat regardless of what bumper they are on. Hell, I'm having a hard time imagining how the crush cans will even work when you've got a big ass roller fairlead that sticks out as far as, if not farther out than the crush cans. That is, unless they are designed to crush on impact too.

And, for those of you who don't know what a crush can is, see the image below...

These two soup cans on your factory bumper subframe do not have any wiring, electronics, sensors or otherwise in them and once again, unless they get directly hit, they will do absolutely nothing for you in a minor collision and your air bags may still deploy needlessly even if they are on an AEV bumper.

Look, I will be the first to say that the AEV bumper is a great looking bumper and I have no doubts that it is just as strong as, if not stronger than some their competition by virtue of its stamped design. Also, I will say that I really like AEV products as a whole - honestly. However, I'm going to tell you that I personally find your promotion for the absolute need of crush cans and the kind of F U D (fear, uncertainty and doubt) theories you are trying spread about bumpers that don't retain them to be mis-leading at best and completely irresponsible at worst.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know. I can see how they would work. They are mounted directly in front of the frame rails becuase that is the part of the bumper that cant deform without transfering massive forces to the rest of the chassis. It's like they are an extra buffer or at least that is how I understand it. If you were to clip the end of the bumper it would deform because there is nothing behind it.

I like keep all the factory safety measures in place. I liek to think that its their for a reason. Its like the guys that remove their front crash bars to install a larger intercooler. Not smart IMO.

Quick Reply: aev bumper installed on my sahara