Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aev bumper installed on my sahara

Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice bumper, and glad to hear install is not bad. I plan on ordering one once I sell my P/U. Looking forward to seeing some more pics in the desert.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 17 year jeep experience makes you a pro!

Given that you've been around jeeps a while I bet a jeep dealer person on average having 1/3rd the exp you have it would take them a full day at 8hr x 80 hr (yes they get that here in Boston area) = 640 install fee for that bumper, plus purchase price, plus front plate (is that what you have?) + delivery charges is going to be a $1500 bumper when all said and done, one needs to earn over $2K to bring home $1500 after taxes.... I am trying to convince myself here not to buy this thing but man it looks great! But if I keep thinking 2 grand for this things I bet I don't pull the trigger....

Originally Posted by bonedigger
I have been wrenching on jeeps for 17 years but I consider myself a backyard mechanic and it took about 5 hours to install I thought the instructions were pretty straight forward and easy to understand.
as for the crush cans after looking at the whole set up (and the fact that no other bumper manufacturers are using them) they aren't needed I just put in some washers that made up for the spacing
Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Given that you've been around jeeps a while I bet a jeep dealer person on average having 1/3rd the exp you have it would take them a full day at 8hr x 80 hr (yes they get that here in Boston area) = 640 install fee for that bumper, plus purchase price, plus front plate (is that what you have?) + delivery charges is going to be a $1500 bumper when all said and done, one needs to earn over $2K to bring home $1500 after taxes.... I am trying to convince myself here not to buy this thing but man it looks great! But if I keep thinking 2 grand for this things I bet I don't pull the trigger....
It really is an easy install I don't see any reason to pay $80 an hour to have someone do it it is a matter of unbolting the factory bumper, rerouting the fog lamp wires, bolting on the winch plate and then bolting on the bumper.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default selling a truck to finance the Bumper

Selling a truck to finance the Bumper: with the total price of this piece depending on the truck it maybe a break even

Hey just a heads up, this poster has an awesome rig and an awesome bumper and also 17 years at the wrench and tons of jeep experience and it took him 5 hrs..... this is no easy install. I maybe wrong but any front bumper that takes a clearly skilled 17 year experienced veteran with jeeps to install spells trouble for anyone less then a seasoned wrencher IMO...

Again thanks for the poster for these pics..... I am jealous of your set up!

Originally Posted by JKFirefighter
Really nice bumper, and glad to hear install is not bad. I plan on ordering one once I sell my P/U. Looking forward to seeing some more pics in the desert.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default thanks....

Maybe your being humble, but come on, it is clear you have awesome experience, been around jeeps a long time, have modded jeeps, etc and it took you 5 hrs.... it has to be a chanllange for anyone less then a skilled person if it took someone as skilled as you that long.

Curious on your thoughts, what do you think a dealer should expect time wise to install this bumper? I would love to get a fixed price install price if I ever pulled the trigger on this bumper....

Originally Posted by bonedigger
It really is an easy install I don't see any reason to pay $80 an hour to have someone do it it is a matter of unbolting the factory bumper, rerouting the fog lamp wires, bolting on the winch plate and then bolting on the bumper.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Selling a truck to finance the Bumper: with the total price of this piece depending on the truck it maybe a break even
I don't need the truck any longer, don't want to pay for more insurance and maintenance, and only have so much parking. Hoping to get a lift from the truck too.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe your being humble, but come on, it is clear you have awesome experience, been around jeeps a long time, have modded jeeps, etc and it took you 5 hrs.... it has to be a chanllange for anyone less then a skilled person if it took someone as skilled as you that long.

Curious on your thoughts, what do you think a dealer should expect time wise to install this bumper? I would love to get a fixed price install price if I ever pulled the trigger on this bumper....
IMO I think anyone who knows lefty loosy righty tighty can install this bumper with no problems
I really don't see how it would take longer than 5 hrs. to install this bumper. Unless you were also intalling a winch and the skid plate at the same time.
The reason it took me that long is that I just wasn't rushing it and I was contemplating the whole crush can thing for quite some time (probably the amount of time it would have takin to cut the crush cans out.)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Winch MOunt

Is that the winch mount that AEV produces? It looks different than all the ones I have seen.

I have been debating the crush can install also. You are the first person who has said they didn't install them. I know I could do it but just seems like a pain is the butt and will take a while to cut them out. I like the washer idea instead. I don't think that airbag function would be affected if they weren't insatlled but who knows I may be wrong.

Sweet rig
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davefollower
Is that the winch mount that AEV produces? It looks different than all the ones I have seen.

I have been debating the crush can install also. You are the first person who has said they didn't install them. I know I could do it but just seems like a pain is the butt and will take a while to cut them out. I like the washer idea instead. I don't think that airbag function would be affected if they weren't insatlled but who knows I may be wrong.

Sweet rig
yes it is the aev winch mount I just put a Hawse fairlead on it
I also don't think the airbag function will be affected by the crush cans not being intalled. aev is the only manufacturer that is incorporating them into their bumpers.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

it looks really good!

Quick Reply: aev bumper installed on my sahara