Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Bilstein 5100

Old 01-08-2017 | 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmittyund03
Hello all, wanted to gauge any reactions or experience with this.

I have the 3.5 AEV lift on my 2010 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited. Unfortunately, after about 75,000 miles on it, my right rear Bilstein 5100 has sprung a leak. I've always found the lift/springs/shocks to be a little stiff for my liking. I do have aftermarket front and rear bumpers, but it still has always felt a little "stiff" for me. I don't overland, I only play around in the local off road park when I get a chance, and nothing too challenging.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the shocks on this lift? I have heard good things about Fox and Rancho swap outs, but of course AEV says their shocks are directly tuned to the springs.

I guess I could just replace the rears with direct replacement AEV Bilstein 5100s, but I am open to replacing all four if it will work well and make the ride a bit more comfortable.

Thanks for your input.

AEV springs are stiff to handle the weight of overlanding. Bilsteins are a soft shock. If you want to actually find a shock that works great with those springs, get something adjustable like the Rancho 9K's. Then you have like 9 settings to find one that makes it ride to your satisfaction. If you can wait, Rancho will be probably be doing a spring time deal where you can get 4 for the price of 3.
Old 01-08-2017 | 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

I have the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT (2016 2 Door) and maybe I can help a little?

I ran the AEV Bilsteins and they were great. However, I really missed the tune-ability & ride of the Fox 2.5 w/DSC I had on my prior vehicle (2015 4Runner). I bit the bullet and dropped about $3K on the FOX shocks after only 1000 miles on the entire AEV lift.

Like someone said, most pre-packaged suspension systems use a broad paint brush stroke in an effort to cover the most vehicle set-ups it can. I called AEV and found out they tune all their systems using their own front bumper, rear bumper & tire carrier is made for their prepackaged completed dealer trucks. Unfortunately, I found this all out AFTER I had installed the lift because I was having issues with alignment specs, rear control arm and the overall ride.

I am now running ARB front and rear bumpers, but only a Teraflex hinge tire carrier. I also have a Bestop Trektop Pro and removed my rear seat. In other words, I am missing about 200 lbs. than what AEV has "tuned" my suspension for and I am running only a 285/75R17 tire. I was sitting about an inch to high in the back after install. Even after a 10mm front spacer and playing around with what I could, there was just to much freeway chop for my taste.

In the end and based on past experience, the best way to cover my needs was going back to a fully adjustable shock absorber. Once you have the ability to dial in the type of ride & handling you want, you will never want anything else!!! The FOX DSC's were a big chunk of change, but I'm grinning ear to ear whenever I drive my JK. The difference was significant on what was already a nice suspension system.

I will say that Fox customer service leaves little to be desired but the actual product has been high quality. Also, after about 40-50K miles, you will want to think about rebuilding the FOX shocks. Try to get that leaky shock replaced and then just save them to run while your FOX's are out getting rebuilt.

I hope the above info helps a bit, but not knowing your price point, this is all I can offer you.

The link below is for a 3.5" set-up and you might find it interesting re: AEV & Fox :

FOX 2.5 Factory Series Shock Review

Last edited by RESQLAB; 01-09-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2017 | 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=RESQLAB;4271141]I have the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT (2016 2 Door) and maybe I can help a little?

RESQLAB, how do you like running the AEV 2.5 kit with the BFG 34's? I am thinking about that combo in the near future, so any input would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: AEV Bilstein 5100