Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 3.5 vs Clayton 3.5 lift

Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem what so ever!!! However, I am going to get the Teraflex lower control arms sooner or later. I bent my driver-side rear lower at Elbe Hills two weeks ago so I really want some beefier lowers. I don't know how much more abuse my factory lowers can take. I re-bent mine back into shape and it's perfectly strait now but has to be weaker now then before...

If you have the extra cash then getting some stronger lower control arms would definitely be worth it and then you wouldn't even need to worry about the cam bolts.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Please say NO to cambolts, get front lowers if you go aev.
This is exactly what I did.

I installed the 3.5" AEV Premium with the Clayton front lowers to avoid using the cam bolts.

I rode and drove an '08 4 dr JK with the 3.5 AEV and that convinced immediately that was the lift for me. The road handling was not only better than stock, but for *my taste* better than 3 other lifts I drove over the past few months and the 35's looked proportional. However, that JK had a full width aftermarket front bumper, winch and 4 lights on the front and a bumper with tire carrier, steel wheel and 35" tire and Hi-lift on the back.

My JK has stock bumpers and spare currently. The AEV 3.5" lifted my rig about 5" with absolutely ZERO rake which I strongly prefer, but it is too much lift for *my taste*. From a performance perspective, it is strange because it handles very close to the one I drove, but it is oversprung due to the lack of the additional weight it was designed for. The lack of preload makes it feel a bit like a lifted pickup.

It's not bad, but its noticeably not as good as the one I drove. Fortunately, I plan to add the bumpers, spare and winch.

I looked at the Clayton lift and really liked, particularly because of the beefy (understatement) CAs, but they didn't offer the drag link flip kit when I made my choice. It would have been a difficult decision, but I still probably would have chosen the AEV kit because it is unlikely I would have found a JK with the Clayton that I could test drive. I think the Clayton has a stronger bias for off-road performance.

I don't think you can go wrong with either kit.

BTW, I am surprised to hear the shop negative comments about the TF lift. It was on my list (which was very similar to jdcjeep's who also picked the AEV) til almost the end because the the sample of people I talked all had positive things to say about it.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've found, alot of 4wd shops push certain manufacturers or brands of lifts because in selling more volume of a couple of brands of lifts, they get a better price, hence they make more profit. And, or become a dealer for just certain brands to also make the installs go faster because of familiarality of said kits.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
This is exactly what I did.

I installed the 3.5" AEV Premium with the Clayton front lowers to avoid using the cam bolts.

I rode and drove an '08 4 dr JK with the 3.5 AEV and that convinced immediately that was the lift for me. The road handling was not only better than stock, but for *my taste* better than 3 other lifts I drove over the past few months and the 35's looked proportional. However, that JK had a full width aftermarket front bumper, winch and 4 lights on the front and a bumper with tire carrier, steel wheel and 35" tire and Hi-lift on the back.

My JK has stock bumpers and spare currently. The AEV 3.5" lifted my rig about 5" with absolutely ZERO rake which I strongly prefer, but it is too much lift for *my taste*. From a performance perspective, it is strange because it handles very close to the one I drove, but it is oversprung due to the lack of the additional weight it was designed for. The lack of preload makes it feel a bit like a lifted pickup.

It's not bad, but its noticeably not as good as the one I drove. Fortunately, I plan to add the bumpers, spare and winch.

I looked at the Clayton lift and really liked, particularly because of the beefy (understatement) CAs, but they didn't offer the drag link flip kit when I made my choice. It would have been a difficult decision, but I still probably would have chosen the AEV kit because it is unlikely I would have found a JK with the Clayton that I could test drive. I think the Clayton has a stronger bias for off-road performance.

I don't think you can go wrong with either kit.

BTW, I am surprised to hear the shop negative comments about the TF lift. It was on my list (which was very similar to jdcjeep's who also picked the AEV) til almost the end because the the sample of people I talked all had positive things to say about it.
Okay. I've got the Mopar front and rear off-road bumpers, tire carrier, and Warn 9.5ti winch, so that should take care of the weight problem with the aev lift. So how about if I get the aev lift (with high steer kit), jks upper and lower front control arms, and tim woods front drive shaft? does this sound like a good combination? Also, do you know if the aev rear track bar relocation bracket is axle mounted or frame mounted? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am using the the Clayton 3.5" and love it when ever I am home to enjoy it. the few weeks that I am home. I have taken it to URE several times since the lift. I love how it handles on the road and cornering it doesn't fill like a boat going around them. I can't tell you how much lift it gave me as my neighboorwas the one to do the lift but I can tell you that IT IS AWESOME I have 33" Cepik crusher tires and it does have alot of room between the tire and fender but when it is stuffed it comes real close to the fender so there is alot of flex in it. I have pictures in my gallery. My other choice was the TF kit however the Lifetime warranty on the ca with Clayton is what sold me. I wanted to be able to play hard and not really about it so I went with them. now I am thinking imma have to upgrade the front axle from the 35 to a 44 or something. I only had a few minor things that I would change and with the CV drive lines that I got I had to get the rear track bar. The other thing is that with the Rubicon Express W/ remote reservoirs I had to trim the rear track bar monting bracket just a little because during flex it would rub a little on the shock . the other thing I had done was the rear lower CA's I had a grease zert installed in them as they became squeeky after a few hundred miles and going through the mud getting stuck in a lake and whatnot. besides a little added grease wont hurt anything. but for the most Part I am glad I went with Clayton oh yeah they love there product so expect some stickers LOL I got a lot of them.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdcjeep
Okay. I've got the Mopar front and rear off-road bumpers, tire carrier, and Warn 9.5ti winch, so that should take care of the weight problem with the aev lift. So how about if I get the aev lift (with high steer kit), jks upper and lower front control arms, and tim woods front drive shaft? does this sound like a good combination? Also, do you know if the aev rear track bar relocation bracket is axle mounted or frame mounted? Thanks!
Sounds very nice. The trackbar bracket is axle mounted.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM
PAS
JK Newbie

I've had a Terra lift a pro-comp and now a 4.5 AEV. They all have their pro's and cons. The pro-comp I removed from my JK and switched the the AEV and noticed a huge difference. I've put around 20k miles on the lift now and have not even done a alignment yet. It drove true from the beginning. I also have a Tom Woods front drive shaft but I only recently put that on. You should feel no vibrations on the front end with the stock shaft as I never had any with the 4.5" lift. Like another person said my 4.5 was more like a 6" lift when it was said and done and like yourself I find it a little too much lift for my liking but at the same time I love it. I have JKS lowers but have not installed yet. I think you will like any lift you do in the end, it is personal preference. In about a year I hope to switch to a similar lift as Wayoflife has on his JK.

Happy Shopping

Quick Reply: AEV 3.5 vs Clayton 3.5 lift