Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 3.5 SC Install Write up

Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV 3.5 SC Install Write up

installed the AEV 3.5 SC lift this weekend and here are some of the items we discovered. I installed it with a friend, and we have done several lifts as well as just about any other Jeep project at this point.

The back is always easier and this was no different, very straightforward. Put the Jeep on Jackstands, lower the axle with a jack, and rip the old stuff out. The new springs went in with very little effort, and we reused the factory spring pads, although it doesn't call this out in the directions. You will definitely need to disconnect all of the ties that hold the speed sensing wires and lockers to the vehicle. Also, you will definitely need to extend the breather line, so go get some fuel host and couplers from a parts store.

The front was about the same as any other lift, but the shock doubler brackets and the way those damn Bilsteins mount sucks, and the person at Jeep that designed the top mount should be beaten with a stick. The passenger side spring went in easy enough, but the drivers side needed the spring compressed. We used the good ol ratchet strap to compress the spring so we could get it installed. The bump stop spacers are way too complicated and require drilling the axle side perch. This was easy enough on the passenger side, but on the drivers side, we could not get the drill in straight to drill. I would strongly suggest ditching those and getting a brand that installs from the top, like the Teraflex ones. For the Shock doubler brackets, we found it easier to install the bottom of the shock when you are installing the bracket, because installing it after the bracket is in place requires a lot of beating and cursing. VERY IMPORTANT - If you go that route for the shock doubler, point the top of the shock towards the front of the Jeep, because otherwise you will not be able to compress the shock to get it installed up top - found that out the hard way. For the passenger side shock, use a dremel and a pair of angled needle nose pliers to remove some of the plastic above so you can get the rubber bushing, the washer and nut in. I grabbed the very top of the shock with vise grips, and put the nut on using one of the ratchet wrenches that also can be angled. Damn, I knew those would come in handy.

I am installing the high steer kit today or tomorrow, so I will update if there are any other items I discover.

Quick Reply: AEV 3.5 SC Install Write up